Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any program to build my own cloud?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any program to build my own cloud?

lestilesti Member
edited April 2013 in General

I got some LEB servers I don't use, and I would want to do some experiment. Is there any program to build my own cloud easily? Like, if I have 4 LEB of 128 MB, my system should look like 512 MB, and if I have 5 GB disk space, the total distributed file system should be 20 GB.

So, which solutions are available to do this?

Comments

• It really doesnt works that way ! You are already running on top of a virtualisation.

• That's not possible.

• @Lesti

If you have 20gb combined over 4 servers, what would happen if you uploaded a 6GB file? Expect the cloud to split this in two, then when you request it, it'd pull both and rejoin them?

Interesting idea, but unfortunately, not possible like you'd think it was.

• @eastonch said: If you have 20gb combined over 4 servers, what would happen if you uploaded a 6GB file? Expect the cloud to split this in two, then when you request it, it'd pull both and rejoin them?

Storage would be possible (although I don't know of any software that does that), but RAM certainly not.

• pcanpcan Member

@Bogdacutuu said: Storage would be possible (although I don't know of any software that does that)

If the VPSs are KVM or vmware, just install and configure a iSCSI target on each VPS. On the client machine configure the 4 targets, then mount them in a RAID configuration. This can be very easily done with the Windows 7/8 built-in iSCSI initiator, no extra software needed.

• @pcan good idea. :)

@bogdacutuu ram would indeed be impossible.

• You can't throw a cloud infrastructure on top of a virtualized server, unfortunately.

• Can you explain more about it?
    What do you mean? You need cloud's elastic system, or you only need cloud's failover system. If it about automatic failover, you can do it.

• dnwkdnwk Member

Is there something called "owncloud" www.owncloud.org

• Own Cloud is a drop box replacement: i.e. a Drop Box type service on your own server.

The problem here is that cloud can mean so many things (cloud servers, cloud storage, cloud sharing, cloud applications...) that the original question could mean anything.

• @pcan said: If the VPSs are KVM or vmware, just install and configure a iSCSI target on each VPS. On the client machine configure the 4 targets, then mount them in a RAID configuration. This can be very easily done with the Windows 7/8 built-in iSCSI initiator, no extra software needed.

@pcan love the idea but how does this work in practice if a VPS is temporarily unavailable (e.g. network outage). Does it force a RAID rebuild? Curious about any experiences you can share

• pcanpcan Member

I tried the setup on Windows 8 using the native iSCSI initiator on the control panel, but it should be the same on any Windows version. Occasional single packet loss are tollerated, there is no visible effect. If any iScsi target is missing (as example: the VPS is turned off), Windows detect it as missing drive; it is basically the same as pulling out a physical hot-plug disk from a server.
    To avoid RAID rebuilds, I created a striped volume. As soon as any iSCSI target is removed, the volume goes offline and the drive letter disappears. When the iSCSI target will become available again, the stripe volume restarts and drive letter reappears. If you accept the default Windows settings, write cache on iSCSI drives is active. This could lead to data loss and filesystem corruption if the iSCSI target will suddently become unavailable.