Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualizor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualizor

Hi,

Just wondering how many people here are using virtualizor to manage their VPS nodes?
Any +ive or -ive about them ???

And how many of you are using it on CentOS 7 host node??

I am considering going with virtualizor to setup a KVM node.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

@Quadhost can tell you why you're not looking to use Virtualizor ;-)

Thanked by 1quadhost
  • Our nodes are Centos 6, Have been using virtualizor ever since we ditched SolusVM.

Got about 800 active containers on Virtualizor.

Thanked by 1Umair

Fun starts with KVM IIRC, if you throw IPv6 into it gets even funnier ;-)

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • @Clouvider said:
    @Quadhost can tell you why you're not looking to use Virtualizor ;-)

Looks like that be an interesting story :)

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

@Clouvider said:

It gets extreme funny when you get to the "Ovz + KVM on the same machine" part.
    VMs stop working, kernel crashes, CTs go wild ... and so on. :)

Thanked by 2Clouvider doghouch
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@virtualizor this is why you need a public bug tracker.

• @Andreix said:

@Clouvider said:

It gets extreme funny when you get to the "Ovz + KVM on the same machine" part.
    VMs stop working, kernel crashes, CTs go wild ... and so on. :)

That sounds adventurous!

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

Andreix said: @Clouvider said: Fun starts with KVM IIRC, if you throw IPv6 into it gets even funnier ;-)

It gets extreme funny when you get to the "Ovz + KVM on the same machine" part. VMs stop working, kernel crashes, CTs go wild ... and so on. :)

This isn't a Virtualizor error, but a multivirt lib error.

edited December 2016

@gleert said:

Andreix said: @Clouvider said: Fun starts with KVM IIRC, if you throw IPv6 into it gets even funnier ;-)

It gets extreme funny when you get to the "Ovz + KVM on the same machine" part. VMs stop working, kernel crashes, CTs go wild ... and so on. :)

This isn't a Virtualizor error, but a multivirt lib error.

For clarity, I'm referring in my post to issues around IPv6 routed subnets and the lack of technical understanding of the issue by their staff, despite a number of sessions where it was clearly explained why the way they do it is not going to work.

As well as general ignorance in regards to the technical issues

Thanked by 1quadhost

Clouvider said: For clarity, I'm referring in my post to issues around IPv6 routed subnets and the lack of technical understanding of the issue by their staff, despite a number of sessions where it was clearly explained why the way they do it is not going to work.

I clearly quoted too much!

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Apparently @virtualizor support isn't 24x7 either :(
    They said it is but been waiting for hours for a reply to my ticket.

I went with them for this server I am working on. (Needed to use multiple LVM in one single server and Solus said a big fat NO to that)

I am already seeing "odd things" :(
    VM doesnt come back online if reboot via guest ssh. Only if you reboot it via virtualizor panel.

Umair said: Apparently @virtualizor support isn't 24x7 either :( They said it is but been waiting for hours for a reply to my ticket.

I have them on skype and are always available...

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited December 2016

@Clouvider said:

Fun is one way to put it I guess.

Andreix said: It gets extreme funny when you get to the "Ovz + KVM on the same machine" part.

Is that out of "beta" yet?

@gleert said:

Umair said: Apparently @virtualizor support isn't 24x7 either :( They said it is but been waiting for hours for a reply to my ticket.

They show online most of the time, but can be unresponsive for some days at times.

• @gleert said:

I don't see any Skype ID mentioned on site. Mind sharing it ?

Skype ID: virtualizor

• Umair said: I am already seeing "odd things" :( VM doesnt come back online if reboot via guest ssh. Only if you reboot it via virtualizor panel.

What guest OS are you using and what do you see on the VNC console of the VM?

@QuadHost Just curious, why are you guys recommending virtualizor on your website if you had bad experiences with them?

https://quadhost.net/software-licenses/
    https://quadhost.net/news-articles/softaculousvirtualizor-noc-partnership/

edited December 2016

jesin said: @QuadHost Just curious, why are you guys recommending virtualizor on your website if you had bad experiences with them?

Because we actively use it at this time and resell licenses for it.

Think of it this way - if you use software all day everyday you will find some aspect of its usage bad or where you can suggest improvement on it. I am sure every Provider in here can suggest improvements to most of the panels they use and at least one or more bug they have seen.

To start with many users need to understand the developers of virtualizor don't run a hosting company; they code a panel and at times there can be a disconnect there.

It does have nice/cutting edge features - cloud migration features, dual LVM media on KVM etc., it had HTML5 VNC Viewer before Solus IIRC.

In all honesty there isn't one platform on the market today that ideally fits with what we would want if we were to redeploy today nor when we started. In comparison from when we did chose a new panel:

• Solus were quiet on any front, from the presales talks we had with them prior to the migration to virtualizor to trying to find out about v2 - ask @AnthonySmith for his troubles.
    • OnApp is a completely different pricepoint and featureset so we ruled this out.
    • Proxmox can work but isn't designed to be a ISP>User hosting platform (we moved away from this).
    • VirtKick was just a dream, that turned into a SaaS thats gone quiet.
    • Development on Feathur had halted and it was dying a death.
    • @Franscisco wouldn't whitelabel Stallion.

In regards to support; Lower level support staff are usually on hand via Skype but if your experienced in the software you likely know as much as them if its a basic question, as you move towards the senior/lead developers the knowledge and assistance they provide goes up - but its harder to get hold of them.

Certain bugs and issues haven't been fixed probably over a year now but the same goes for all panels. Anything critical is generally fixed in a patch written for your system/usage (we have had a few over the years, thanks @virtualizor ) or the next minor release.

Thanked by 3jesin Umair Lunar
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

quadhost said: trying to find out about v2 - ask @AnthonySmith for his troubles.

SolusVM V1 (Current version) is barley supported at all now, I have had some fairly big issues outstanding with them ranging from storing system passwords in plain text to potential destruction of user data for 6+ Months and other issues outstanding for 18+ months that have daily impact.

SolusVM V2, based on my last email with the commercial manager I would be very very surprised if it is even released in 2017, they have just outright lied in writing to string me and other people along, V2 is not even remotely close (26 months later).

Thanked by 2quadhost Umair
  • @quadhost The way @cloudvider mentioned you, I thought you had a disaster using this panel much like this person - http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?id=2382.

quadhost said: Certain bugs and issues haven't been fixed probably over a year now but the same goes for all panels. Anything critical is generally fixed in a patch written for your system/usage (we have had a few over the years, thanks @virtualizor ) or the next minor release.

Wow! How do you get them to do that? Do you ask for a quote?

• @quadhost
    Thanks for the message. You summed it up very well. :)

I looked into SolusVM initially but their lack of CentOS7 support and not giving any update on when it be available or when V2 is coming made me :(
    And when they said they can not support dual LVM in one single Guest VM, I had to look for other possible options.

Proxmox looks really good and could have worked for me. But the idea of no support/community support only and then paying a lot for support turned me away. :(
    I don't mind paying for support but their charges are a lil too much.

So I went with @virtualizor Although I am not currently happy with the support (and its been just 1 day with them) I hope things will work out. I don't have any big requirements or support needs. Just a lil initial hand holding and them I am all set.

I dont like if you ask 3 questions, they reply after a while answering just one. but I guess that happens with other providers as well.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@jesin said:
    @quadhost The way @cloudvider mentioned you, I thought you had a disaster using this panel much like this person - http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?id=2382.

quadhost said: Certain bugs and issues haven't been fixed probably over a year now but the same goes for all panels. Anything critical is generally fixed in a patch written for your system/usage (we have had a few over the years, thanks @virtualizor ) or the next minor release.

They just send you the patch and let you know how to install it, no charge, they've done it too for us when we've found a bug that needed fixed quickly.

Thanked by 2Umair quadhost
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    SolusVM V2, based on my last email with the commercial manager I would be very very surprised if it is even released in 2017, they have just outright lied in writing to string me and other people along, V2 is not even remotely close (26 months later).

Someone mentioned on WHT that Solus said it will be released on 6th Dec. It wasn't.
    Then @OnApp_terry replied that it be released in "Early 2017".
    (He had to edit his reply to make it more vague)

• @SpartanHost said:

They just send you the patch and let you know how to install it, no charge, they've done it too for us when we've found a bug that needed fixed quickly.

At least they try to fix issues when they can.

PS. why we are at it, anyone can give me an idea why I am getting frequently in my /var/log/messages with Virtualizor and CentOS7

journal: End of file while reading data: Input/output error

edited December 2016

@jesin said:
    @quadhost The way @cloudvider mentioned you

>

Their approach to IPv6 in KVM is flawed is what @cloudvider is getting at, the best one is when you add a slave and it #500's and corrupts the storage quota though.

I thought you had a disaster using this panel

Not what I would call a disaster as such, but it was annoying having to change developments and platforms around limitations of the software.

Have also seen a few broken updates and that was luckily spotted before it was rolled out.

As above, file provided for you to patch with.

• It's been a rocky road w/ implementing KVM into our OpenVZ platform, I can only sympathise with those that have problems with using proprietary platforms - I've been there, done that.. never again :)

• @quadhost said:

@gleert said:

They show online most of the time, but can be unresponsive for some days at times.

Looks like you were not kidding :(
    They claimed 24x7 support but that doesn't seem to be the case :(

@virtualizor Do you really have any support on weekends??

• We are using Virtualizor too.