Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail Released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail Released

kornnflakekornnflake Member
edited April 2013 in General

See http://releases.ubuntu.com/raring/

Providers update your templates ;)

Comments

• I might give it a spin, but I am probably going to wait for 13.10 or 14.04.

• Exciting!

2013-04-25 03:55:39 (101.7 MB/s) - âubuntu-13.04-server-amd64.isoâ
    2013-04-25 03:56:53 (88.9 MB/s) - âubuntu-13.04-server-i386.isoâ

Now that's the proper way to release something!

• Wow

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited April 2013

@Damian said: Now that's the proper way to release something!

Try again when their servers get busy after the proper launch ;)

Update : They are seeding from Amazon CloudFront

• These names are getting more ridiculous by release.

What next? Soapy starfish? Randy Roadhog?

• Silky Syracuse ;)

• three words? R R R :p (if you know what i mean)

• @Mon5t3r said: three words? R R R

Grrr...

• @abaxas said: What next? Soapy starfish? Randy Roadhog?

Neither of these are avians :P

• @abaxas said: These names are getting more ridiculous by release.

Nobody upset over the Ubuntu/Amazon relationship?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/27/ubuntu_amazon_button_on_hold/
    http://siliconangle.com/blog/2013/03/25/richard-stallman-slams-ubuntu-over-amazon-integration-calls-it-spyware/

I'm glad RMS steps up to say it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/25/ubuntu_13_04_review/

I dropped Ubuntu back in 12.04 and went back to Debian, never looked back.

• @doughmanes in the article at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/27/ubuntu_amazon_button_on_hold/ there is a statement: “Canonical is beginning to see that many, many Linux users care about their control over their own private information. Money making schemes that compromise this are not worth it,” veryannoyed wrote."

It's sad as one of the reason we use Linux is to control our own private info.

• VladorzVladorz Member
    edited April 2013

@doughmanes said: I dropped Ubuntu back in 12.04 and went back to Debian, never looked back.

considering Debian 7 stable is coming out in two weeks or so, I think I'll ditch ubuntu too

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    doughmanes: Nobody upset over the Ubuntu/Amazon relationship?

Nope. Amazon already has all of my information anyway.

• @jarland said: Nope. Amazon already has all of my information anyway.
    Dang, Amazon did it to me too. :P

• @Vladorz said: considering Debian 7 stable is coming out in two weeks or so, I think I'll ditch ubuntu too

The only problem is Wheezy uses too old a kernel for my purposes. My laptop has a hybrid bluetooth/ethernet card that the only module I can find for it is backported only to 3.5 (it's not hit mainline yet).

• @Rallias said: The only problem is Wheezy uses too old a kernel for my purposes. My laptop has a hybrid bluetooth/ethernet card that the only module I can find for it is backported only to 3.5 (it's not hit mainline yet).

So what's stopping you from compiling your own kernel from source of the most cutting edge or are you limited to packages?

• @doughmanes Well, he could also watch paint dry, while watching grass grow AND watching a pot boil.

• @Magiobiwan said: Well, he could also watch paint dry, while watching grass grow AND watching a pot boil.

Or waiting for the cows to come home with his kernel update

• Neh, with the modern multicore processors a kernel compile lasts 10-20 mins.

• krokro Member

There are windows linux users
    Then there are linux users
    Then there are nix users

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    edited April 2013

Now the question is... will Webmin work on 13.04?

• Just updated (x)Ubuntu on two of my home computers. Pretty normal stuff, nothing amazing. Ah well, can't go through April or October without incrementing the version number, even if you just slightly tweak the design!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Updated one of my servers. Updated my laptop. So far no apparent gains or losses. No compatibility issues with anything I'm using. Went ahead and added a template to our list, no harm in it.

Neither impressed nor disappointed. So I guess that means it was a good upgrade.

• @bcarlsonmedia said: Now the question is... will Webmin work on 13.04?

I guess so :-)

@DStrout said: Just updated (x)Ubuntu on two of my home computers. Pretty normal stuff, nothing amazing. Ah well, can't go through April or October without incrementing the version number, even if you just slightly tweak the design!

I've been running 13.04 for about a month now. I've definitely seen some UI improvements, both in appearance and performance. Other than that, indeed, nothing spectacular.

• @mpkossen In theory, Xubuntu is a bigger difference across this upgrade than Ubuntu because it went to a 1GB max ISO (though it's less than that max for now). However, the extra space is used to bundle programs I'd already installed. No big deal for me. At least it looks a tiny bit different starting up!

• Thank you for sharing