Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest providers with servers having 12-32GB of RAM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest providers with servers having 12-32GB of RAM?

I need servers from time to time for data processing. Most of the time I don't need much more than lots of memory for this (the dataset needs to fit into memory). Fast I/O, multiple cores, and good bandwidth are not required.

I've found a few servers with 32GB of RAM for about $40/m. Are their any closer to $20/m?

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Thanks @teamacc

You can get 8 vCores 32GB RAM VPS for $28/mo by combining 4 KVM HDD Plus packages

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited December 2016

contabo.com looks like the best deal so far (10 Cores / 50GB RAM for $30/m) but scaleway.com looked like the most trustworthy provider listed here.

I don't quite feel safe using providers that look like they are run by a single guy. Some of my data is private.

Also, wishhosting.com has a great deal with 8GB for $7 month. Need to learn more about them.

• Contabo is great! I have 3 vps from them.

• Scaleway.com has 16gb c2750 (8 core atom) dedicated servers for 18 euro/month or 0.036 euro/hour. There is also a 32gb one with a local ssd for 24/mo or 0.048/h.

The Atom cores are slow but 8 of them is equivalent to an L5520 or thereabouts iirc. Somewhere between 4k and 5k passmark and you can spin up a bunch of them in parallel if you want. This is the cheapest source of on-demand compute cycles that I know of.

• WickedWicked Member
    edited December 2016

I guess Contabo could work for you. Had a dedi with them for 6 months back in 2013 and DDoS attacks managed to take down their whole datacenter multiple times. Their whole datacenter was down 2-3 hours just a few days ago (read on FB).

I would never put anything in production on Contabo. Go with Kimsufi or https://www.ovh.ie/vps/vps-cloud-ram.xml

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @Wicked said:
    I guess Contabo could work for you. Had a dedi with them for 6 months back in 2013 and DDoS attacks managed to take down their whole datacenter multiple times. Their whole datacenter was down 2-3 hours just a few days ago (read on FB).

I would never put anything in production on Contabo. Go with Kimsufi or https://www.ovh.ie/vps/vps-cloud-ram.xml

Contabo is simply sh*.
    I found my boxes powered down multiple times . IIRC one of their IP ranges started with 5. (like hetz)

Thanked by 1layc
  • @Wicked said:

Contabo is simply sh*.
    I found my boxes powered down multiple times . IIRC one of their IP ranges started with 5. (like hetz)

• Stay away from contablow

Thanked by 1layc
  • cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Why don't you take leaseweb they have hourly based dedicated server

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

OVH has ram-optimized public cloud instances, ~$38 gets you 30GB of ram - but also can do hourly billing. https://www.ovh.ie/cloud/instances/prices.xml

• Harambe said:

OVH has ram-optimized public cloud instances, ~$38 gets you 30GB

That's much more than scaleway, though you get faster cpu cores. Note OVH's hourly billing cost is 2x the cost per hour if you pay by the month, and I think you have to decide up front which you want. Scaleway's is about 1.5x and you don't have to choose. Just start using it and once you reach 500 hours in a given month, the rest of the month is free (there are about 750 hours in a month). OVH cloud also requires an up-front deposit which is the main reason I haven't tried it.

I do like Scaleway though it's certainly not perfect.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

We do have in Dallas if fit? Dual l5630 32GB 20Gps DDoS Mitigation $40 per month

• Did more reading. The fact that scaleway.com is backed by Online Labs (owned by Iliad) and has a team of at least 10 people makes me think it's the most stable choice here even if the CPU's are slower ARM chips (not all plans are). The RAM is cheap and the servers should be around for several years even if they company does poorly.

• Xeoncross said: [Scaleway] CPU's are slower ARM chips

They have ARM dedicated servers with 2GB that are interesting, but the VPS are a separate product. They're Atom C2750 (64 bit x86) based.

• layclayc Member
    edited December 2016

Contabo is the worst host you can get. Cheap but oversold as f*ck. I've had a Windows VPS from contabo for 2 years. 1 year contract -> forgot to cancel it was a nightmare.

Go with OVH, Kimsufi (which is OVH), Online.net, Scaleway (which is online.net), servdiscount.com, Hetzner - All EU based hosts.

Thanked by 1lustix