Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Wheezy's lack of OpenVZ a problem for users or providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Wheezy's lack of OpenVZ a problem for users or providers?

graemepgraemep Member
edited April 2013 in General

I understand that the lack of OpenVZ support in Debian Wheezy is a problem for someone, but how does it affect me as a user? As far as I can tell OpenVZ support is mostly a host OS issue, is that correct?

Does it stop me from upgrading by VPS to Wheezy, or is it just a problem for the host OS (so the providers has to install a OpenVZ kernel)? Can I upgrade my existing VPS to Wheezy, or does my host need to do something to support it?

Comments

• Wheezy will be available after it's officially released. It isn't yet.

• Wheezy works just fine inside an OpenVZ VPS, we even have templates for it.

Nobody would want to be using Debian (either Squeeze or Wheezy) as a OpenVZ node since it's just broken in this regard (i'm talking about the OpenVZ kernel in squeeze). Or if someone insists on using squeeze/debian for a host node he would be using another OpenVZ kernel, not the one included in the debian repo.

• BuyVM wasn't using Debian based nodes? :P

• @yomero said: BuyVM wasn't using Debian based nodes? :P

Yes, but not with the debian OpenVZ kernel.

• @rds100 said: Wheezy works just fine inside an OpenVZ VPS, we even have templates for it.

Wheezy also works fine in Linux-VServer (2.* Kernel, same with OpenVZ) and of course KVM (3.* Kernel, native).

• Thanks for the replies. I do not really understand OpenVZ well enough to know what the kernel support does - all I know about OpenVZ is that it uses a shared kernel and does not isolate resources as well as KVM.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@graemep said: Thanks for the replies. I do not really understand OpenVZ well enough to know what the kernel support does - all I know about OpenVZ is that it uses a shared kernel and does not isolate resources as well as KVM.

The ovz kernel is based on RH one (6 or 5), but, of course, everyone can compile own, however, being such a mess, even developers have a hard time with it.
    Running Ubuntu, debian, whatever means basically runing the userspace executables in an isolated container. In theory, it may be even made to pretend it runs some versions of unix such as freebsd, but that is such a task nobody I know cared to take upon.

• I'm actually wondering when Red Hat drops the 2.6 kernel series and OpenVZ starts working on the 3+ series. 2.6.32 just EOL'd and 2.6.34 is to follow within a couple of months, which only leaves 3.0 or higher to receive bug fixes, etc. If OpenVZ would work on newer kernels, there would be less issues with getting modern operating systems to run on them.

• @mpkossen we're considering evaluating LXC again due to this. It doesn't look like it'll be "soon".

Which btw we added Wheezy templates already :p

• marcmmarcm Member

@mpkossen - 3.9 supports SSD caching... Lets keep our fingers bended (crossed) and hope that we'll see 3.9 or 4.0 in RHEL 7.... I don't think that it makes much sense to develop a new release on anything in-between 3.0 and 3.9.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Wheezy has been available at RamNode for a few days at least, including OpenVZ.

• @concerto49 said: we're considering evaluating LXC again due to this. It doesn't look like it'll be "soon".

Yeah, that's what I was considering as well. I'll install it on a spare KVM somewhere, maybe it's grown more mature now.

• why is lxc so "unpopular" among vps providers?

• rds100rds100 Member

@kornnflake said: why is lxc so "unpopular" among vps providers?

Because there is no readily available platform for providing lxc based containers (like SolusVM for OpenVZ/Xen/KVM).

• @rds100 I believe Cloudmin supports LXC.

• @rds100 said: Because there is no readily available platform for providing lxc based containers (like SolusVM for OpenVZ/Xen/KVM).

Time to change that :p

@mpkossen said: Yeah, that's what I was considering as well. I'll install it on a spare KVM somewhere, maybe it's grown more mature now.

It is. Going to play with it on a dedi once the shipping arrives.