Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poor men's HA setup on LE* VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poor men's HA setup on LE* VPS?

spammyspammy Member
edited December 2016 in Help

This discussion was stemmed from another thread posted earlier today:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1978173/#Comment_1978173

Figure I may start another thread since I went off tangent a little. Just want to see if anyone else have seen/used any creative method to make redundant set up using LE* VPS ? Keep in mind we are talking about small, 128MB RAM boxes here, so please don't mention anything like Master-to-Master replication on MySQL + RSync on contents.

This is what I have seen before, can't remember where I saw the idea from, and is the only way I am aware of:

spammy said: The only way I have seen so far to achieve HA using LE*-style VPS is to use jekyll + github. So basically use Jekyll whenever the static contents in the sites are updated (assuming you don't update your site like once every 20 seconds) to generate the static version of your website, check into Github and then on each of the front-end VPS check out the revision.

With this approach though, things like comments have to be outsourced to things like Disqus, and I don't even know how well the constant automatic Wordpress -> Jekyll conversion would go before something blows up.

Would love to hear other interesting ideas!

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

If you're site isn't updated that often anyways might as well just go static full time then it's a quick rsync to other boxes.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • And if all your site content is static and public, just point a CNAME at Github Pages, and you can take advantage of their CDN (Fastly).

• One master one slave (for db) use cloudflare for DNS and UptimeRobot to change your DNS IP to the second (slave / read only) server when the first is down, and back to the first when it's up? Keep the first website up to date, and eventually run a strip down version of your website on server 2, that way you'd be able to run on a smaller box.

If box sites run fine on the same 128 MB VPS though, no need to go that far, just replicate your script on the second one.

Why do you consider that master + master & rsync will necessarily eat too much resources? Did you try yet and it didn't end up well?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

http://rancher.com/

Rancher Labs builds open source software for building a private container service. Rancher makes running Docker on any infrastructure simple and scalable.

Thanked by 3GCat deadbeef Unixfy
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited December 2016

@black has a script that automatically switches cloudflare's IP address, not exactly HA, but close enough.

EDIT: Here it is https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/22720/script-to-switch-to-your-backup-ip-when-your-main-server-goes-down-via-cloudflare-api#latest

Thanked by 1mik997
  • Why not use netlify? It basically run a docker image and the building script your provided to generate the static content, and deploy them to the CDN with HTTPS and HTTP2 support.

Thanked by 1Four20
  • spammy said: jekyll + github

Note that Jekyll is a static site generator. If you're only doing a static site, just put your vps's on round robin dns or anycast. Github doesn't have to come into the picture. Also cloudflare will automatically cache pages for when your site is inaccessible. HA becomes more of a challenge when you have to keep dynamic content and databases synchronized and that sort of thing. But replication with some of the nosql db's is very easy to set up. That's probably the main reason why they got any traction, since they're otherwise mostly badly designed.

• @willie said:

spammy said: jekyll + github

Note that Jekyll is a static site generator. If you're only doing a static site, just put your vps's on round robin dns or anycast. Github doesn't have to come into the picture. Also cloudflare will automatically cache pages for when your site is inaccessible. HA becomes more of a challenge when you have to keep dynamic content and databases synchronized and that sort of thing. But replication with some of the nosql db's is very easy to set up. That's probably the main reason why they got any traction, since they're otherwise mostly badly designed.

Agreed, the biggest challenge here is really to make sure data and contents are in sync, DNS seems to be a relatively easier issue to deal with since we could do roundrobin (which is not really HA since it still might hit the down server) or @black 's script or HA Proxy

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@pbgben said:
    http://rancher.com/

Rancher Labs builds open source software for building a private container service. Rancher makes running Docker on any infrastructure simple and scalable.