Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Setup a NAT VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Setup a NAT VPS

AutoserveurAutoserveur Member
edited December 2016 in Help

Hello,

I'm using this tutorial to set up my NAT VPS :
http://ohnorandom.com/261-setup-a-nat-vps-from-inceptionhosting-lowendspirit/

A NAT VPS is a vps where you don't have access to all the ports but you can ask solusVM to redirect your domains to your server so people can access port 80 and see your website.

So my domain is http://2dmmo.ga

I set it on proxy domain in solusVM

http://www.noelshack.com/2016-49-1481393074-solusvm.png

I set nginx like in the tutorial:

http://www.noelshack.com/2016-49-1481393189-nginx.png

And then, I access the wrong website, which is the website to connect to my solusVM panel which refers to this address : https://nat.myserverplanet.com/login.php

http://www.noelshack.com/2016-49-1481393357-pageshowed.png

Do you know if I did something wrong ?

Thank you

Comments

  • First comment/thread since 2013? Welcome back!

    How long did you wait after setting everything up? If I remembered correctly, the proxy script takes some time for the domain list to be updated.

  • AutoserveurAutoserveur Member
    edited December 2016

    Hello :)
    I added the proxy domain on solusVM 1 month ago. (But since it was not working, I abandonned it and now i'm trying again).

  • Shouldn't you have changed the listening port from 80 to one of the ones that have been assigned to you?

  • AutoserveurAutoserveur Member
    edited December 2016

    I don't know, in the tutorial http://ohnorandom.com/261-setup-a-nat-vps-from-inceptionhosting-lowendspirit/, the guy got the ports 1001-1019 but he left port 80 in the config file. I think what the proxy does is : publicIP:80 -> privateIP:80 so I think I should write port 80 since I can access all the ports with my private IP (which is like 10.0.0.8).

    Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • It looks like the problem could be related with the host since when I typed "solusvm proxy domain" in google, I found this post : http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?pid=16169

  • Why don't you use IPv6 instead? You could use CloudFlare for that.

  • @alaningus said:
    Shouldn't you have changed the listening port from 80 to one of the ones that have been assigned to you?

    No you don't. The idea is the HAproxy proxies the content from your vps IP's port 80 to the public IP's port 80.

  • @Autoserveur said:
    It looks like the problem could be related with the host since when I typed "solusvm proxy domain" in google, I found this post : http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?pid=16169

    Honestly just go with ipv6 + cloudflare like @Four20 said, solves all the problems. I've submitted a request about one of the domain extensions not accepted by the solusvm proxy script more than 2 months ago, but still not yet fixed, don't even think Nick there cares about this. So just leave it and use cloudflare, works much better.

  • Here's the instructions from Inception. They have a script.

    >
    cd /tmp && wget public.deepnetsolutions.com/proxy.sh && sh proxy.sh

    Remember to first install curl.

  • I used cloudfare and it works like a charm thank you.

  • The tutorial your following was made for a NAT VPS from InceptionHosting and you have a VPS from MyServerPlanet, if my memory is not wrong they have a different setup from Inception and also on the forum post that you linked they are mentioning that their proxy it's not working correctly at the moment.
    If you want to use a NAT VPS use the cloudflare proxy for IPV6 it will save you some problems, if you dont want to follow the advise that was given to you by previos members open a support request with your provider and wait for them to fix their proxy end (use the forum, follow their TOS)

  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Provider

    @Ole_Juul said:
    Here's the instructions from Inception. They have a script.

    >
    cd /tmp && wget public.deepnetsolutions.com/proxy.sh && sh proxy.sh

    Remember to first install curl.

    Invalid for us. Please read: https://www.deepnetsolutions.com/nat-reverseProxy.html

    Thanked by 1Ole_Juul

    Gestion DBI Inc. | Leader in IT Consulting and Telecommunications
    A hosting need? Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Montreal KVM VPS | Enterprise Cloud VPS

  • Sorry to go on a tangent, but what workarounds do people have for doing this with i83's NAT VPS other than going the Cloudflare IPv6->IPv4 route?

    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1759002/#Comment_1759002

    Personal consultant to OP's Mom™

  • i83i83 Member, Provider

    @user123 said:
    Sorry to go on a tangent, but what workarounds do people have for doing this with i83's NAT VPS other than going the Cloudflare IPv6->IPv4 route?

    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1759002/#Comment_1759002

    Just curious - What's the issue in using CloudFlare?

    Get a free VPS when you buy our 9 Location Bundle Packs! (9 VPS for the price of 8 @ £36/yr ~ £4 per VPS)
    i-83.net ~ An unmanaged "LowEnd" OpenVZ IPv4 NAT/IPv6 based Provider. let{bUNdL3ssSss}

  • @i83 said:

    @user123 said:
    Sorry to go on a tangent, but what workarounds do people have for doing this with i83's NAT VPS other than going the Cloudflare IPv6->IPv4 route?

    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1759002/#Comment_1759002

    Just curious - What's the issue in using CloudFlare?

    Mainly that it would be yet another account to set up and manage. If possible, I try to keep things simple because fewer steps means fewer opportunities for things to go wrong and it makes it a little easier to troubleshoot. Also, as I am only using one (of many) subdomain for the VPS, I'd rather not modify my domain's nameservers. :)

    Thanked by 1alaningus

    Personal consultant to OP's Mom™

  • user123 said: Also, as I am only using one (of many) subdomain for the VPS, I'd rather not modify my domain's nameservers. :)

    You can give your subdomain NS records for cloudflare on your main DNS server, then you can manage your subdomain DNS on cloudflare.

  • @MuZo said:

    user123 said: Also, as I am only using one (of many) subdomain for the VPS, I'd rather not modify my domain's nameservers. :)

    You can give your subdomain NS records for cloudflare on your main DNS server, then you can manage your subdomain DNS on cloudflare.

    I don't think cloudflare allows you to add subdomains. You can add the entire domain, but not sure cloudflare will work without it seeing the nameservers are pointed to them.

  • The problem is you are using the inception hosting guide on an MSP NAT VPS. :) Nick's proxy domain setup has been broken for months.

    I am no longer active here, find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com (Just like LET without the scams)

  • @user123 said:
    Also, as I am only using one (of many) subdomain for the VPS, I'd rather not modify my domain's nameservers

    I'm in the same position. I have all my DNS in one place and I'd rather not point nameservers to Cloudflare just for one subdomain

    Out of interest - is managing a proxy difficult/time consuming/etc? Just wondering why some offer it and others don't.

  • @alaningus said:
    Out of interest - is managing a proxy difficult/time consuming/etc? Just wondering why some offer it and others don't.

    At the very least, it means yet another thing to set up, manage, and support and in this case, it's for a product that isn't very profitable.

    Thanked by 1alaningus

    Personal consultant to OP's Mom™

Sign In or Register to comment.