Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time4VPS.eu - Do no more discounts!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time4VPS.eu - Do no more discounts!

Here are the prices before:

@time4vps said:

Storage Server - 1 TB

• Intel Xeon E5-2609 v3 Guaranteed CPU: 1 x 1.90 GHz
  • Guaranteed DDR4 ECC REG RAM: 1024 MB
  • RAID6 Storage: 1024 GB
  • High Quality Bandwidth: 8 TB (400 Mbps dedicated port speed)
  • Clean Dedicated IPv4: 1
  • Backups: Unavailable
  • Data Center Location: Lithuania, Vilnius
  • Activation: Instant
  • Price Annually: 2.99 EUR/mo. (35.91 EUR total [~39.12 USD])
  • Price Biennially: 1.99 EUR/mo. (47.88 EUR total [~52.15 USD])

Order: Click here

**Prices now:

3.99 € for one month

47.88 € for 12 months

95.76 € for 24 months

**Their response

@time4vps said:

Hello, we have removed previous discounts from storage server plans. Yes, price now is different from price mentioned in this thread.

Comments

• Okay, point is? If you don't like their prices, then don't buy any. No one is obligated to guarantee a price forever.

• This post is El Cheapo approved

Thanked by 3switsys deadbeef netomx
  • GoatSellerGoatSeller Member
    edited December 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Okay, point is? If you don't like their prices, then don't buy any. No one is obligated to guarantee a price forever.

So, changed their discounted prices which they offered and you agreed on, cause they "felt like it", that's okay with you ?

@Ishaq said:
    You forgot to put scam in the title.

I'm flagging to request the edit, do your job please.

• I believe its for new orders or for orders renewing after their agreed upon term expired

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Okay, point is? If you don't like their prices, then don't buy any. No one is obligated to guarantee a price forever.

I agree, but ...

When one is a reseller it is different.

We do our calculations with the discounts, we need a minimum of time to adapt.

• @comeback - that is what contracts and agreements enable. No contract, things can change

• back to the gold days , I got the 512 gb for 20/y

• @OhMyMy said:
    @comeback - that is what contracts and agreements enable. No contract, things can change

I know, but why not send a mail?

For example, from 1 December there are no discounts.

It is simple and it allows to organize.

• @comeback how do they know you intend to purchase. And providers routinely get ridiculed here when only a portion of their emails reach inbox and others feel left out. A contract is even simpler or an agreement stating your purchase prices and that you are a reseller for them.

Thanked by 1comeback
  • @comeback said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

I agree, but ...

When one is a reseller it is different.

We do our calculations with the discounts, we need a minimum of time to adapt.

It is what it is, we live in an unfair world, all prices will increase, it's the fact. Sad, but time to move on I guess.> @dotted said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

So, changed their discounted prices which they offered and you agreed on, cause they "felt like it", that's okay with you ?

Did they sign a contract with you? If not, what are you even talking about? I'm not defending time4vps here, just saying complaining about things like this is pointless. They increase their pricing, people leave if they don't feel like paying more, simple as that.

• TheOnlyDK said: Did they sign a contract with you? If not, what are you even talking about? I'm not defending time4vps here, just saying complaining about things like this is pointless. They increase their pricing, people leave if they don't feel like paying more, simple as that.

You're basically saying it's wild wild west :)

From your perspective, you have NO RIGHTS when you buy something online without signing a physical contract, correct ? They can do whatever they want ?

• Yes they can increase prices after the expiration of any agreed upon term. Gas station doesn't inform of gas price increase until you refill. They have no obligation to inform you of any of their business practices until the time of any new agreement.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

comeback said: When one is a reseller it is different.

Again... you are not a reseller, you just resell, there is a difference, resellers have an agreement and usually pre-pay for resources.

If your local shop has a deal on mars bars and you can buy 3 for $1, you buy them and you make profit, you do not complain to the shop when they stop the sale and you have to pay full price again, they did not force you to make a business model around the discount prices.

From what I have seen and read though, time4vps had some sort of pseudo reseller 'thing' advertised on their site with no pre payment required, it was a bit shitty of them not to bother to have the ability to track those that took part and notify them in advance, but they have now acknowledged that and said they will improve communications for resellers in the future.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dotted said:

TheOnlyDK said: Did they sign a contract with you? If not, what are you even talking about? I'm not defending time4vps here, just saying complaining about things like this is pointless. They increase their pricing, people leave if they don't feel like paying more, simple as that.

You're basically saying it's wild wild west :)

From your perspective, you have NO RIGHTS when you buy something online without signing a physical contract, correct ? They can do whatever they want ?

That seems pretty accurate and fair to me. Guaranteed price to remain the same for the committed billing cycle. Raising prices after the end of a billing cycle does not strike me as unusual, immoral, or dishonest.

Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one.

Thanked by 2Junkless deadbeef
  • @jarland said:

Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one.

I just told that to someone a few hours back :P

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2016

@dotted said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

Of course it's ok. I have multiple servers there and they di not come and say "whoops, we need to retroactively charge you more than we agreed for the server you use". They just said, "when you renew, the new price will be so and so". What level of entitlement is that they should never change their future prices, is beyond me.

• They just said, "when you renew, the new price will be so and so". What level of entitlement is that they should never change their future prices, is beyond me.

I don't think they did exactly that, and it would be annoying if they did, since we usually expect discounts to be recurring unless disclosed otherwise up front. I think what they actually said was "if you bought a plan at price X, you can renew it at price X, but any new additional plans you buy will be at price Y". I have a 512GB plan with them and didn't get any notice of a price increase.

I saw there was another thread where someone was offering to sell a 2TB discount plan with almost 2 years on it for 50 euro, and didn't seem to have a taker. I was very tempted but I currently have enough space. OTOH I was regretting not having upgraded to 1TB while I could.

It also seems to me that if you bought a discounted plan recently, then by renewal time in ~2 years, the discount price may no longer be so spectacular, since HDD's do keep getting cheaper. The old price of 2 euro/TB was insane but the new one (4 euro/TB) is still excellent.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @willie said:

They just said, "when you renew, the new price will be so and so". What level of entitlement is that they should never change their future prices, is beyond me.

I don't think they did exactly that, and it would be annoying if they did, since we usually expect discounts to be recurring unless disclosed otherwise up front. I think what they actually said was "if you bought a plan at price X, you can renew it at price X, but any new additional plans you buy will be at price Y".

I don't know what you read when you bought, I never saw "it's a recurrent discount" - or implying that. If you just assumed because that made you feel good, it's your problem - not the provider's. Had they mislead us, I would agree with you about deceptive advertising and all that - but they didn't. You just assumed because you liked the deal so much.

I have a 512GB plan with them and didn't get any notice of a price increase.

You see it when you renew. Just as you see the prices when you go the the super market.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Finally, we was betting how long they will stay on those prices.I as know much more about their historical movements and tactics with other projects they own, there is nothing surprising. And I know the next step :)

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

deadbeef said: never saw "it's a recurrent discount" - or implying that.

They posted that in the other thread about this topic. And VPS are not supermarkets -- there is general expectation that offers are recurring unless described otherwise up front, e.g. the OVH Black Friday vps deal was advertised up front as non-recurring. Look at any offer thread here where the question comes up.

I can't think of a single time that a provider raised the price of a VPS at renewal unexpectedly. I've seen some services discontinued outright (e.g. Crissic) but that's different.

• @willie so a VPS is the only item in the world that you can rent for 30 day increments and never expect any change in price ever - without a contract or agreement? How silly does that sound? Power doesn't have lifetime rate, magazines don't have lifetime rate, strippers don't, google doesn't pay or charge same rate for ever on ad clicks. But your almighty VPS must remain the same forever? Again- how silly is that? if its at the end of a contract before another contract- its not unexpected- its you failing to manage your purchases with a contract ahead of time. No contract- you are subject to the whims of anyone.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

Obviously I wouldn't have any recourse if a provider raised prices at renewal as they have the legal right to do it. But as empirical observation, they generally don't do it in practice and people complain if it looks like they do. People even complain at offer threads where the provider says right in the thread that it's non-recurring. And providers who ignore customer complaints too much don't stay in business.

I can't think of a single example where a VPS provider raised the price of an existing VPS on existing customers at renewal time. Can you? I can't even think of a time other than this when a provider raised the price of NEW instances of an existing plan instead of discontinuing it, unless the old price was specifically a promo (not an "annual discount" etc). That's why Time4vps has been getting pushback here.

My email provider raised its prices on existing customers a few years ago, but they announced it months in advance, and they told people with existing plans that they could renew at the old price up to FIVE YEARS as long as they did it before the increase actually landed.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@OhMyMy so you'd prefer it discontinued then ;-)?

• Clouvider said: you'd prefer it discontinued then ;-)?

I don't think Time4vps handled this in the best possible way, but I cut them a little slack since the old plan was obviously unsustainable the way they were implementing it. They might have hoped that a combination of increasing scale, manageable demand, decreasing hardware costs, and cross-sales to higher margin products would let them keep offering those plans forever. They probably had to back down once they couldn't cope with the demand level from very large customers (I remember someone saying he had 100s of TB with them) who weren't buying the other stuff. In economics that's called "adverse selection" :).

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2016

@willie said:
    Obviously I wouldn't have any recourse if a provider raised prices at renewal as they have the legal right to do it.

Recourse? You mean, against the unethical, immoral and downright insulting act of them selling their stuff at the price they want? Such injustice, where is the government to do something about this?

People even complain at offer threads where the provider says right in the thread that it's non-recurring.

Yes, the world is full of entitlement pieces of shit. Such is life, don't mind them, they're funny.

And providers who ignore customer complaints too much don't stay in business.

Oooooor maybe - just maybe - those entitlement PoS are mentally masturbating about their self-importance.

I can't think of a single example where a VPS provider raised the price of an existing VPS on existing customers at renewal time. Can you?

Leaseweb, aws, azure, gce along with every other provider who doesn't guarantee recurring pricing.

I can't even think of a time other than this when a provider raised the price of NEW instances of an existing plan instead of discontinuing it, unless the old price was specifically a promo (not an "annual discount" etc). That's why Time4vps has been getting pushback here.

That's what you call pushback? I'm sure they're crying right now.

My email provider raised its prices on existing customers a few years ago, but they announced it months in advance, and they told people with existing plans that they could renew at the old price up to FIVE YEARS as long as they did it before the increase actually landed.

Oh, so they have a right to set up prices, as long as they give you gifts. And those who dare not gift you, surely they don't see the majesty of your prince-hood.

• @clouvider - My preference would be that everyone get off their soapbox saying things are lifetime recurring cause its a VPS and that's just the way the low end is. Things are recurring within the terms of an agreement. No agreement, then vendor is free to adjust prices as they see fit. Consumer is free to renew or cancel as they see fit. Its a free market economy. The vendor doesn't owe you an explanation, a consistent price- owes clients nothing - other than performing to agreement. If all of these "resellers" and clients complain about pricing changes, its because they don't handle their business appropriately. I dare say, you aren't on a month to month with your DC - you have an agreement and before it expires you will assess their future proposal and modify accordingly. people on month to month payments limit decision making time- but its not the vendors fault. So vendor can keep, cancel, modify, do whatever they want- doesn't matter to me- no agreement, no complaining possible.

Thanked by 2Clouvider deadbeef
  • deadbeef said:

Leaseweb, aws, azure, gce along with every other provider who doesn't guarantee recurring pricing.

When have they done that? AWS regularly lowers prices. Anyway they're not here on LET afaik.

• @willie leaseweb increased prices. You can look at AWS as an increase in price too compared to the micro instance. Dont think for a minute that they didnt assess all the EC2 micro instance users in virginia DC and determine all the bandwidth they are using along with other resources. I doubt they we billing $5 per developer instance per month for lowest size. Plus its smaller than the smallest ec2 micro. So is that a price increase in disguise? YES IT IS.

Thanked by 1deadbeef