Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec for Colo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec for Colo

Hi,

I am considering Dacentec as a colo option for one of my production servers.
Is it a good DC ? On their site they mention certifications, and are owned by a good company.
How is the power and network ?

Note : This is a production server I have to host.

The other option I am considering is Incero.
I need a 1U.

Regards

Comments

• VortexMagnusVortexMagnus Member
    edited December 2016

Cannot speak for Dacentec, but we have just toured and signed an agreement with their parent company CentriLogic for colo in one of their Mississauga DC's. Seem like a really good company to deal with.

Again, this is with their parent co and not actually Dacentec. But I'd be inclined to say you're in good hands.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

We have some RTOs that we converted to colo there, no complaints, they had issues in the past but hasn't been any issues since, network and power is solid.

• DumbledoreDumbledore Member
    edited December 2016

Dacentec have great prices but not good for production.
    Incero have premium network and infrastructure, I would recommend Incero to anyone, they are perfect.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @alex0 you may want some more factual answers. Ask them about fiber entrance and egress from building - is there a dispersed fiber entrance/egress or one fiber point. Ask if they are single homed on their carrier. Do they only backhaul to atlanta or ashburn or clt for the vast majority of their transit? Ask for response time for remote hands from 9-5 m-f and when the shit hits at 3 am sunday morning - what are the expectations. Finally ask them about recent A/B power tests and see if their backup power is functioning. These are a few things I would ask at any colo.

• @OhMyMy I am not sure what all this means. I will ask them.
    Where do you generally colo ?

• it means is there one cable leaving the building with everyones internet traffic on it like your house or apartment or are there multiple paths out. also do multiple companies carry their internet traffic or is it just one

• Dacentec has tons of users here, and hosts many VPS providers. I don't have anything there myself and I don't think of them as aiming to meet the expectations of high-end colo customers, but as a budget host they seem fine.

• stolipeach said: Dacentec have great prices but not good for production

Saying that because of... what? Your experience? If yes, share it with us.

• OhMyMy said: These are a few things I would ask at any colo.

Ask them also about their price. And compare it to the price other dc's ask for.

Thanked by 1alown
  • @stolipeach said:
    Incero have premium network and infrastructure, I would recommend Incero to anyone, they are perfect.

Incero premium? Own dc? Cool owner? Wable for ips? Speedykvm?

• miamiconsultantmiamiconsultant Member, Patron Provider

OhMyMy said: Ask them about fiber entrance and egress from building

Lenoir is very fiber dense because google has a number of buildings there. They have a number of diverse entrances and will give you a list of the fiber providers that are in their building if you ask.

• I can vouch for them.

A+ service.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

we have our racks with Incero. Nothing but good things to say about them

• jvnadr said: Saying that because of...

I've always avoided Dacentec due to their combination of unreliable network and antiquated hardware.They are cheap for a reason. How many of you guys use Dacentec for production servers.

Layer said: Incero premium? Own dc? Cool owner? Wable for ips? Speedykvm?

Incero have a great network when compared to Dacentec and many other providers in here. Owning a DC doesn't make it reliable. If thats your theory, then my basement DC is the best in the world. If you don't piss them off and spam with support tickets, Incero is great.

I wonder how many of you will be happy if @jarland moved mxroute to Dacentec.

You can go for SoftLayer if you need Premium. Support tickets will be replied within 5Mts even if you call them fart mother.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

@Layer said:

@stolipeach said:

Incero premium? Own dc? Cool owner? Wable for ips? Speedykvm?

We've good experience with Incero and they have good network compared to others.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2016

stolipeach said: I've always avoided Dacentec due to their combination of unreliable network and antiquated hardware

So, you have not used Dacentec and the unreliability is not an opinion on our experiences but from what you've heard.
    Well, I am a client of Dacentec (among others as OVH, OnLine.net, Hetzner, WSI, iKoula etc.). Network is pretty good, in fact, very good for the price paid by the customer. Is it top notch? Maybe not. But, for the hosting needs of some sites, it is excellent. Is it suitable for a high critical application, like, e.g., the mobile banking platform of a Bank? No. But I think OP is not the dev of Chase Manhattan...
    As on antiquated hardware, it's on what you want to pay. If someone does not have the money to buy a brand new car, he will buy a used one if he needs his own transportation for his every day needs. After all, OP is going to use his own hardware, so, older cpus from DC (when say older, their servers are ~4-6 years old, for the price you could say it is a bargain) is not something he is interested to.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • DumbledoreDumbledore Member
    edited December 2016

jvnadr said: used Dacentec

I havn't been a direct Dacentec customer, But I had vps hosted on Dacentec network long time ago. It wasn't a good experience for me.

Dacentec is friendly, supportive and cheap. How many times they had problem with network and power. Dacentec is better than delimiter, WSI, but you cant compare it with incero.

OP is not saying anything about the price. You can't assume the title he carries. All he is asking for a production quality provider. In my book production quality means a stable reliable network/infrastructure and Dacentec isn't one of them.

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

stolipeach said: I havn't been a direct Dacentec customer, But I had vps hosted on Dacentec network long time ago. It wasn't a good experience for me.

You didn't have a direct experience with Dacentec but your comment above looks like you did.

You can't conclude just because you "had a VPS with a provider located in Dacentec", that's rather misleading.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • dearroy said: You can't conclude

I have enough sense to differentiate when provider is at fault and when dc at fault.

• I would recommend you incero ;)

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited December 2016

Dacentec is fine for colo and dedi (I have both).

• I have numerous colo and dedi with various providers (at least 7 distinct providers); Dacentec has one of the best uptime and reliability out of my mix.
    • Do I do MTR's every day? No, I don't. But I do monitor via various 3rd party & in-house tools. They have been solid enough for me to test/launch various infrastructure/sites/etc before mirroring to the other providers.
    • I have also done RTO and taken possession of it, and have another now.

No other relationship with them other than currently being a satisfied customer.

Edit: Another thing that is not technical but can be an important factor:

• They give timely support
    • They admit when they make mistakes
    • They don't hesitate to compensate when they are wrong or at fault
  • stolipeach said: I had vps hosted on Dacentec network long time ago

Having a single vps once upon a time with a hoster that was in Dacentec DC, cannot lead someone to say something like:

stolipeach said: Dacentec have great prices but not good for production

stolipeach said: I've always avoided Dacentec due to their combination of unreliable network and antiquated hardware

This is misleading to the OP. Let people that use their DC/network to express opinions about real experiences or write just your exact experience with them (a vps from a third party long time ago).

Thanked by 1dearroy
  • jvnadr said: This is misleading

I'm not misleading anyone. I don't have go to moon to tell its not made up of cheese. I just said Incero is far better than Dacentec in stability wise. Please show me any popular service using Dacentec as their production server.

I only shared my view on both providers. OP can choose whatever provider he likes.

• miamiconsultantmiamiconsultant Member, Patron Provider

stolipeach said: I just said Incero is far better than Dacentec in stability wise.

This sounds like opinion. Whenever anyone says 'premium service' I ask to see the specs first.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@stolipeach said:

jvnadr said: This is misleading

I'm not misleading anyone. I don't have go to moon to tell its not made up of cheese. I just said Incero is far better than Dacentec in stability wise. Please show me any popular service using Dacentec as their production server.

I only shared my view on both providers. OP can choose whatever provider he likes.

We are using Dacentec for our Lenoir location, nothing but good things to say about them: great network and excellent support. A few years ago they had some power issues but there is no issue since then.
    About Incero we had a server for a client with them 2 years ago, network/hardware were great too but support was not friendly so we decided to leave.

Thanked by 2Dumbledore SamP
  • ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

Not some years ago, this year they had a power failure and network issue. Yes, their support and network are good compared to what they are offering.

@NDTN said:
    We are using Dacentec for our Lenoir location, nothing but good things to say about them: great network and excellent support. A few years ago they had some power issues but there is no issue since then.

• HostPair said: this year

Yes this january.

• @geekalot said:

• I have numerous colo and dedi with various providers (at least 7 distinct providers); Dacentec has one of the best uptime and reliability out of my mix.

Can you list the other colo you use ?
    I dont mind paying $20 more for Incero to be honest.
    For everyone in favour of Dacentec, would you host your VPS / shared hosting clients there ?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@alex0 Talk to Incero, network is better/more consistent IMO.

• I remember now that the big power cut earlier this year didn't leave them looking good, and iirc there was some other issue around the same time. Those were isolated though, otherwise they seem to do ok for a low-cost host, based on following threads around here for a while. Fwiw I had a Virtwire VPS there til Virtwire went away, and it was one of Virtwire's better locations. Quadhost also offers Lenoir as a location iirc: does anyone other than Dacentec operate out of there?