Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using own DNS Server/Unbound with OpenVPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using own DNS Server/Unbound with OpenVPN?

FreekFreek Member
edited April 2013 in Help

I've setup my 'own DNS server' for use with OpenVPN, so that I do not have to use Google's DNS/OpenDNS or any other DNS server. I've used this tutorial to set it up: http://library.linode.com/dns-guides/unbound-dns-resolver-ubuntu-12.04-precise-pangolin
I'm also running OpenVPN Access Server, so in the webinterface I've set 127.0.0.1 as DNS to be used by clients.

The problem is that if I stop Unbound, DNS still works. I can ping websites and the address gets translated perfectly, even after emptying my DNS cache. What kind of sorcery is this!? Why does it still work, if I killed unbound?
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 Server on a OpenVZ VPS.

Thanks!

Comments

• Try executing the following command in the client:

nslookup whoami.ultradns.net (Windows)
    host whoami.ultradns.net (Unix-like)

• FreekFreek Member
    edited April 2013

@klikli thanks for the reply. I ran the 'nslookup whoami.ultradns.net' command while Unbound was running which gave me this output:

C:\Users\Freek>nslookup whoami.ultradns.net
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  5.5.0.1

Niet-bindend antwoord:
    Naam:    whoami.ultradns.net
    Address:  192.71.245.XXX

So that seems fine. And here's the output when the command is ran when unbound is stopped:

C:\Users\Freek>nslookup lowendbox.com

*** UnKnown kan lowendbox.com niet vinden: No response from server

By the looks of it, that seems OK. However, if I open up a browser and go to LowEndBox.com, it loads perfectly fine... Where does it get that information from? I flushed my dnscache on my PC using ipconfig /flushdns

Thanks!

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited April 2013

Your browser also has it's own DNS cache. Try visiting pages you haven't visited before.

For Chrome: chrome://net-internals/#dns

• FreekFreek Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Your browser also has it's own DNS cache. Try visiting pages you haven't visited before.

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense :)

I opened up Chrome and visited 'chrome://net-internals/#dns' and on that page, I pressed the button to clear the 'Host resolved cache'. Also, the Internal DNS client is disabled... but still I can visit websites with my DNS/Unbound being disabled... I'm totally flabbergasted.
    I can set you up an OpenVPN account to see it for yourself, if you like?

Kind regards,
    Freek

• You cleared windows DNS cache??

ipconfig /flushdns

• FreekFreek Member

@BenND said: You cleared windows DNS cache??

Yep! Crazy, isn't it?

• Tried using an other browser?

• I have a feeling that it is supposed to be pushing the servers to the network device in windows (Right click network device, properties, properties on IPv4 or w/e. Then you can change the DNS servers there. I think it is supposed to be changing them. Running the client as Admin ??

• klikliklikli Member
    edited April 2013

@Freek said: C:\Users\Freek>nslookup whoami.ultradns.net Server: UnKnown Address: 5.5.0.1 Niet-bindend antwoord: Naam: whoami.ultradns.net Address: 192.71.245.xx

I'm sorry, but is this your VPS' IP address? If that's the case you might want to hide it.

• FreekFreek Member

@klikli said: I'm sorry, but is this your VPS' IP address? If that's the case you might want to hide it.

Oops!! Thanks for pointing that out to me!!

@joodle said: Tried using an other browser?

Yes, I used Chrome/Firefox/IE, all the same.... Want a test account to see it for yourself? I know it sounds hard to believe! Might be me doing something stupidly wrong though.

@BenND said: I think it is supposed to be changing them.

Hmm, that makes sense, however OpenVPN seems to be changing the DNS by itself already:

OpenVPN is executed as administrator.

Thanks!

• Could you try that command (in #2) when you have shut unbound down?

• FreekFreek Member
    edited April 2013

@klikli said: Could you try that command (in #2) when you have shut unbound down?

You mean this? nslookup whoami.ultradns.net

I already did that :)

@Freek said: here's the output when the command is ran when unbound is stopped:

C:\Users\Freek>nslookup lowendbox.com

*** UnKnown kan lowendbox.com niet vinden: No response from server

By the looks of it, that seems OK. However, if I open up a browser and go to LowEndBox.com, it loads perfectly fine... Where does it get that information from? I flushed my dnscache on my PC using ipconfig /flushdns

Thanks!

• klikliklikli Member
    edited April 2013

@Freek said: I already did that :)

You made a lookup of lowendbox.com, not whoami.ultradns.net

One thing get in to my mind is that HTTP proxies, since they handle DNS resolving on behalf of clients - are you sure that you have no proxy configured in place?