Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a replacement server to the $2 vps which dacentec are discontinuing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a replacement server to the $2 vps which dacentec are discontinuing

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited December 2016 in General
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 44
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 2
microcode       : 26
cpu MHz         : 1200.052
cache size      : 12288 KB

$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1048576      53132     995444       9288          0      40340
-/+ buffers/cache:      12792    1035784
Swap:       524288          0     524288

$ df -h
Filesystem         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/ploop19250p1   25G  1.6G   22G   7% /

I hadnt been using the server for a couple of months but was just trying to boot it up to begin a new project and looked in my email I was greeted with a message that the service is to be discontinued :(.

My main requirement is cheap :) with good internet which I guess is a given. Just need a few gigs to store videos and convert them- I know converting will be slow but it did the job on the above specs and I will scale up down the line if I need to.

So any other offers for similar bargain basement prices?

Comments

• That's way too cheap. Time to put more budget into that. :)

• miamiconsultantmiamiconsultant Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

Lots of good options here.

https://clients.hostforce.com/index.php?/cart/vps/

Scroll down for the KVM VPS.

• Weehay $1.25 per month! beats even the last one I had :D

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • @Hxxx said:
    That's way too cheap. Time to put more budget into that. :)

Why would I do that when the other one was doing the job? I should pay more just cos it is 'uncool' to use cheap things? gtfo! :P

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • Perhaps TragicServers can do something for you. @tragic

• @lowendguy7 can you send me your requirements and I'll see what's the best I can do for you.

Roilan

• Hey guys check these specs

RDP LITE - 5$
    2x Intel Quad Xeon E5620
    64 GB RAM
    100 GB HDD
    1 GBPS
    Order now

seems too good to be true eh?

• @lowendguy7 said:
    Hey guys check these specs

RDP LITE - 5$
    2x Intel Quad Xeon E5620
    64 GB RAM
    100 GB HDD
    1 GBPS
    Order now

seems too good to be true eh?

cant be sure as you didnt list website or anything, but.. (also someone correct me if it works differently)

based on the price and name, its shared machine for most likely alot of people. as normal VPS'es are basically small chunks of the full machine, there they probably give everyone the full 'access', which means you cannot just use it 100%.

it also might be that they provide separate machines for encoding, and that they wont allow it on that plan.

it might be something that works for you, but tbh i would choose proper vps over those

• QuadraNet_Adam said: Perhaps TragicServers can do something for you

Maybe an offer from crissic servers? I've heard that there are some real nice offers there, with stable nodes and excellent client support.

Thanked by 2yomero doghouch
  • sinsin Member
    edited December 2016

You could try a $3/month KVM VPS from letbox (1 core, 1GB RAM, 20GB Disk, 2TB bandwidth, and ddos protection) - I just picked up one today and I'm impressed with the performance for $3 (network is psychz dallas)

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited December 2016

The requirements are just the best I can get between 1-4 dollars- or what range of specs I could get in that bracket :P from lowest to highest. I will be running video encoding/uploading script most of the time.

@tragic said:
    @lowendguy7 can you send me your requirements and I'll see what's the best I can do for you.

Roilan

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

Try BuyVM KVM slice from @Francisco which is 1/4 an E3 thread for $3.50/month with 1GB ram and 20GB SSD (probably more cpu than that most of the time on fair share basis). Most other cheap plans are likely to throttle or cap CPU usage.

Another possibility is a Scaleway C1 dedicated server, 4 ARM cores for your exclusive use, 3 euro/month with 50GB SSD. The ARM cores are much slower than an E3 core, but 4 of them should be comparable to an E3 thread if your workload parallelizes. You'd have to benchmark your video conversion though.

• >

@willie said:
    Try BuyVM KVM slice from @Francisco which is 1/4 an E3 thread for $3.50/month with 1GB ram and 20GB SSD (probably more cpu than that most of the time on fair share basis). Most other cheap plans are likely to throttle or cap CPU usage.

Another possibility is a Scaleway C1 dedicated server, 4 ARM cores for your exclusive use, 3 euro/month with 50GB SSD. The ARM cores are much slower than an E3 core, but 4 of them should be comparable to an E3 thread if your workload parallelizes. You'd have to benchmark your video conversion though.

Thanks I'll check those out.

• @sin said:
    You could try a $3/month KVM VPS from letbox (1 core, 1GB RAM, 20GB Disk, 2TB bandwidth, and ddos protection) - I just picked up one today and I'm impressed with the performance for $3 (network is psychz dallas)

where link bro ?