Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Abusive Customer - Notification to Other Hosts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Abusive Customer - Notification to Other Hosts

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hello,

This is a long post, forgive me if I lose you, but I'd appreciate it if most of it gets read... with that let's get started:

I don't normally complain about customers, in fact I usually go out of my way to help them if at all possible, but I feel enough is enough and I want to head off this problem before it gets any larger.

We had a client named Andre Lopes. This client was suspended (and given multiple chances) to correct his CPU Abuse. He generated load averages in excess of 65 on one of our nodes which caused the nodes to become virtually unusable. Finally we said enough is enough, please find another host or we can get you a dedicated server (should he choose). He ignored our explanations and claimed that we were overselling our servers and he should be allowed to generate as much load as he likes.

Yesterday he came on our IRC and began complaining to everyone and the staff about his issues and refused to talk to us about coming up with a solution to meet his needs. He even flat out refused to provide me with a ticket number so I could read the logs. He's rejoined our IRC several times trying to get customers to leave our services and has begun posting on several blogs, forums, etc... about us to the point of spamming.

NOTE: He purchased a single $6 VPS with us and literally felt obligated to be able to use 100% of the entire system's CPU whenever he felt like it, bash the disk into the ground, etc...

The chat logs may have some extra stuff in them (its a public IRC):

Chat Logs:

Chat Log #1
Chat Log #2

LEB Posts:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/bluevm-2month-256mb-openvz-vps-in-san-jose-texas-chicago-kansas-buffalo-and-atlanta/#comment-112574

He's posted at least a dozen times on LEB about it.

WHT Posts:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8654479&postcount=32

He's begun posting randomly on WHT about it as well.

I'm amazed he hasn't hopped on LET yet and started posting about it. Anyway, long story short I HIGHLY recommend banning this client from your services.

Comments

• I was on the IRC Channel at that time too (being quiet). He was quite annoying about it. I second this motion.

• SB_SB_ Member

I was there and dealt with him for a bit early on but he was rude even when he first joined.

Also Johnston didn't mention his name was Chat6838 although you probably could have figured it out.

• Ah, what a $6 customer will get you-

• Some people are bad at math :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Yep, had someone claiming that we say our servers can be used 100% (OVerZold ones) and he had the load only a bit over 100, so it was cool... He also said he lowered the load from previous 65 to 100.
    Had to explain a load of 100 means 2500% for 4 cores.
    Didnt even begin the discussion about node load vs container load.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I'm pretty sure I've talked to this guy at an earlier point (under another name I think?), and he was indeed very rude and unreasonable.

• AndreAndre Member

Just to make this clear, I am not Andre Lopez.

• SB_SB_ Member
    edited April 2013

Haha @Andre, we will make sure people don't hurt you too much.

• blackblack Member

Damn it, Andre trolled me with the "do not click this link" link.

• SB_SB_ Member
    edited April 2013

@Nick_A: Yes, they are the same people with the same username.

• @Nick_A - Yes, like I said:

@BlueVM said: He's begun posting randomly on WHT about it as well.

Quite unfortunate really...

• MunMun Member

LOL @nick_a i think so. Here comes 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% usage of your CPU D:

• The world is filled with assholes. I hope you manage to get this sorted out.

• marcmmarcm Member

@BlueVM:
    1) Fill out a FraudRecord report.
    2) If you don't share his name, address, email, etc. with the rest of us we won't know who to avoid.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited April 2013

Is this the civilized "Made In Portugal" guy?

I am just a customer at BlueVM, and at first I am quite offended when he wrote "... For me all BLueVM want is to have new fools buying...". But then after seeing him posted a lot of defaming notes, I realized that this is one sick guy. Pity.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

Sounds like a cock.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@vRozenSch00n said: Is this the civilized "Made In Portugal" guy?

His hostname ends in .pt, I'm guessing it is then?

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

@BlueVM said We had a client named Andre Lopes.

@BlueVM You post the names of your customers online? Isn't that a violation of your privacy policy Justin?

phoenixvps said "1) Fill out a FraudRecord report.

2) If you don't share his name, address, email, etc. with the rest of us we won't know who to avoid."

There are privacy laws in place Marc. I think its about time someone has a few state attorney generals and the FTC examine fraudrecord and hosts who advocate violating privacy laws.

• @RobertClarke said: Sounds like a cock.

Robert, be nice.. you're to young to be saying this.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited April 2013

@DomainBop said: There are privacy laws in place Marc. I think its about time someone has a few state attorney generals and the FTC examine fraudrecord and hosts like PhoenixVPS who advocate violating privacy laws.

Actually, they dont send that info to fraudrecord. It hashes it then is compared to other records. But your actual info is never transmitted. Maybe next time before you get all huffy you should learn2google http://www.fraudrecord.com/security.php

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@DomainBop said: @BlueVM You post the names of your customers online? Isn't that a violation of your privacy policy Justin?

I was thinking about that, but then I noticed he used that as his username on the forum:

• @DomainBop - No, he used his first and last name in various posts and other content. Thus we didn't share anything he hadn't already released as public knowledge. We value our clients privacy that is why our post contains nothing more than his name and what is publicly available online.

It doesn't matter what this guy does we will not be sharing his address, email address, etc... without his permission.

• I believe in a long lasting Customer - Provider relationship whereas Providers have their sets of Customer Relationship Management and Customers also have some sort of Vendor Relationship Management.

As a customer even if I only purchase a $10/year service from a provider, what counts for me is the relationship. We won't know whether in the future we will have a more profitable relationship.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@DomainBop - are you sure multiple attorney generals and the FTC are enough? Surely we should be convening the UN Security Council, too...

BTW, which privacy laws are you referring to?

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

@perennate said: He used that as his username on the forum

This. If I was going to be going around bashing a provider for no reason, I think I'd use a different name.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited April 2013

@DomainBop said: There are privacy laws in place Marc. I think its about time someone has a few state attorney generals and the FTC examine fraudrecord and hosts like PhoenixVPS who advocate violating privacy laws.

@DomainBop - This isn't the first time you attack me in a public forum, so if you have a problem with me you should at least tell me who you are and what you want. In regards to my last comment, @BlueVM opened the discussion and started complaining about his customer, so he should finish what he started. @DomainBop, as long as you hide behind anonymity you're a coward so anything that you say has zero value.

I choose to implement and apply the same US privacy laws to all of our customers, and have never released and will never release any private information about any of our customer. However the reality is that US based hosting companies have to protect the privacy of US based customers only. Customers in other countries don't fall under the same umbrella. The same rule applies to US customers that purchase web hosting in other countries. I hope that this clarifies for you how privacy laws work. @BlueVM's customers was not located in the US. I would also appreciate it if you would revise your last comment.

• @marcm said: BlueVM's customers was not located in the US. I would also appreciate it if you would revise your last comment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't US privacy laws defined as "entity" instead of "citizen"? The former would mean that since we're in the US, we must apply the privacy requirements to all entities, be they local or foreign.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Rallias said: Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't US privacy laws defined as "entity" instead of "citizen"? The former would mean that since we're in the US, we must apply the privacy requirements to all entities, be they local or foreign.

@Rallias - I was trying to make a point in reference to @DomainBop's comments. Maybe I should explain better how the law works in the US. I will try to keep it as short as possible:
    1) Actually in the US an entity is a person, regardless of citizenship, nationality, etnicity and so on. When you create a corporation in the US it becomes an entity and has the same rights as a person. So that's what the word "entity refers to". If you ever watched a documentary that was criticizing corporations, at some point, almost every time there is a comment or two about how corporations want to have the same rights as real people.
    2) The law is jurisdictional. That means that US laws can only be applied in the US. A customer that is not located in the US is cannot be protected by US laws. If a company breaches their privacy they may have a fighting chance if they come to the US and file a lawsuit.
    3) Technology is always ahead of the law. For many of these situations there aren't any laws yet.
    4) There is a difference between a legal obligation and a moral obligation. For example I feel that it is my moral obligation to protect the privacy of all of my customers, regardless where they are located.
    5) In a situation like @BlueVM's where potential slander and defamation is involved privacy laws hardly apply because he wants to defend himself. As long as he discloses information that is publicly available on, lets say something like whitepages.com, technically he doesn't breach his customer's privacy.

The bottom line is that this person was basically messing with his livelihood and @BlueVM has a right to defend himself.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Rallias said: US privacy laws

What laws are we talking about? I'm having a hard time thinking of any which may apply.