Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How could bandwagonhost get such a good result in IO test?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How could bandwagonhost get such a good result in IO test?

http://www.hostingwizard.net/
Order by iops and the tops are all BandWagonHost and Xvmlabs.

ioping -c 10 .
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=1 time=11 us
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=2 time=4 us
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=3 time=113 us
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=4 time=3 us
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=5 time=3 us
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=6 time=2 us
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=7 time=93 us
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=8 time=3 us
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=9 time=3 us
4 KiB from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=10 time=2 us
--- . (simfs /dev/simfs) ioping statistics ---
10 requests completed in 9.08 s, 42.2 k iops, 164.8 MiB/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 2 us / 23 us / 113 us / 39 us

I have never seen "2 us" on other servers. Is there something like linuxatemyram?

Comments

• launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

Getting high IOPS is a combination of the following:

• SSD vs. HDD
    • RAID Type (5, 10, etc.)
    • RAID Controller
    • RAID Controller Cache Amount
    • RAID Controller Configuration (Write Back enabled, etc.)
    • RAID Controller Bus (PCI-E, PCI, etc.)

You can get high IOPS by using high quality SSDs in a RAID 10, a RAID card which is SSD aware, large-local RAID cache, write-back enabled.

Then you can also tweak the host OS and guest for additional disk I/O performance.

Hopefully, this helps. It can grow from here and get even better when using newer and faster types of disks and supported protocols.

Thanked by 1hiphiphip0
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

launchvps said: Getting high IOPS is a combination of the following:

There is another possibility which might overshadow everything else:

• You're the first customer on a new node and performance will steadily decline as they overstuff the box.

@raindog308 said:

launchvps said: Getting high IOPS is a combination of the following:

There is another possibility which might overshadow everything else:

• You're the first customer on a new node and performance will steadily decline as they overstuff the box.

Very true.

• If you have some bwh vps you know that performance don't decline, I have three vps since two years ago and they are always e same.

@ScienceOnline said:
    If you have some bwh vps you know that performance don't decline, I have three vps since two years ago and they are always e same.

That is good to hear.

Just want to be sure it is communicated that disk I/O is a finite resource as is RAM, disk space, etc. So, if you have a few folks running applications which are consuming a large amount of disk I/O, the other folks on the node will suffer.

Sounds like BWH does a good job of balancing nodes, I/O limiting, or something similar. Which is good.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2016

launchvps said: You can get high IOPS by using high quality SSDs in a RAID 10, a RAID card which is SSD aware, large-local RAID cache, write-back enabled.

Interesting points, but you miss the major step in tech - NVMe and PCIe AHCI SSDs delivering 3000MB/s in each direction with 150k IOPS+ (eg. Samsung SM951, SM961).

launchvps said: You can get high IOPS by using high quality SSDs in a RAID 10

High quality is pointless, Samsung SSDs cost more - yes, but they deliver less IOPS and MB/s per dollar than by now comparable Sandisk and especially the ultra cheap Intel 600 NVMe drives with 3D NAND. More SSDs and a larger array ALWAYS makes more sense than less higher quality SSDs.