Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding a script to startup on a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Adding a script to startup on a VPS

GarrettRockyGarrettRocky Member
edited December 2016 in Help

What's a good way to add a script to startup so that it runs as if you had typed the commands yourself over SSH? i know vultr and linode have a startup script section, but some other providers like digitalocean dont have that.

i launch a ton of servers and its getting super annoying having to login to each one and type them myself.

thanks for the look and help guys!

Edit: i am using debian

Comments

• /etc/rc.local?

• Use a cronjob that runs at boot/reboot or use /etc/rc.local.

A cronjob at reboot would be like

@reboot /path/to/your/script

rc.local has to be edited with a text editor simply and then you add "/path/to/your/script" at the bottom of the content but before "exit 0".

Thanked by 1ehab
  • anyone havea good video or tut on how to do this? sorry im just super new to all of this and have no idea, thanks for the help

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

crontab -e

Enter your cronjob as suggested by Respected @Cartman and save it.

@GarrettRocky - First try my method and If you failed then I will make video tutorial for you.

• @DewlanceVPS i tried and i failed miserably lol, if you could make a tut it would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

• On AmigaDOS, use S:Startup-Sequence

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2016

If you lack knowledge so much on putting a simple command in cron, I really wonder what kind of script you want to add to your server...
    Anyway, with crontab -e you open the crontab script in an editor. If it opens with vim, you maybe want to change to an easier editor, like nano.
    Do an update sudo apt-get -y update , install nano sudo apt-get install nano and open crontab with nano EDITOR=nano crontab -e
    Then, add what @Cartman said to your crons:

Cartman said: @reboot /path/to/your/script

You can add it by copying it and press left button to your mouse, when using putty as a terminal. Then, press ctrl+x to save and exit. Don't forget to make your script executable chmod +x /path/to/your/script

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@GarrettRocky said:
    @DewlanceVPS i tried and i failed miserably lol, if you could make a tut it would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

No, Problem. I can make a video tutorial for you but I want to know that you are using CentOS or Ubuntu?

• Sounds more like a configuration management question. Learn to use something like Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc. Or hire someone to manage your servers for you if you're in over your head.

• If you are completely new to Linux, I would recommend that you learn to use vi/vim before doing anything. After that you'll be able to edit /etc/rc.local and add start-up scripts.

• @GarrettRocky - go to youtube and search for debian startup scripts

• You could install Webmin or similar. From there you can do an awful lot of your necessary housekeeping

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2016

Don't get discouraged by the time it's taking you to learn how to manage a vps, i joined this forum in November of 2013 at that time I was totally green,

Believe me if you roll up your sleeves take your time and read everything you can find,
    get a small server to practice on after awhile you will soon realize that most of this stuff is ridiculously easy that is why some of the old-timers here turn nose up at people when they say they're going to use a VPS control panel but there are a lot of good vps control panels, I use vastacp for example saves a lot of time, but I am fully capable I'm doing everything by command line..

you have to practice you have to work on different projects even if you don't need to..

• @dedipromo said:
    If you are completely new to Linux, I would recommend that you learn to use vi/vim before doing anything. After that you'll be able to edit /etc/rc.local and add start-up scripts.

nano, thanks.