Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ killing a stuck VPS without rebooting a node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ killing a stuck VPS without rebooting a node

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited April 2013 in General

I have a VPS with an init process for it stuck and will not kill off, has anyone seen this before and know how to unstick it without rebooting the node. Google is no real help.

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

Suspend the vps. The process will keep returning, so give that a bash and let us know.

• CoreyCorey Member

@FRCorey said: I have a VPS with an init process for it stuck and will not kill off, has anyone seen this before and know how to unstick it without rebooting the node. Google is no real help.

Yea, you have to kill whatever other process is stuck. I've seen a process that I can't kill making it where init wont stop and I have to reboot the node.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@FRCorey said: I have a VPS with an init process for it stuck and will not kill off, has anyone seen this before and know how to unstick it without rebooting the node

If the init process is stuck in state Z (zombie) or D (uninterruptable I/O), rebooting the node is your only option.

• Vzctl stop ctid --fast?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

/usr/sbin/create-container-4-free -m 512m -hd 50g -bw 2t --price 0 --to netomx

• CoreyCorey Member

@Damian said: If the init process is stuck in state Z (zombie) or D (uninterruptable I/O), rebooting the node is your only option.

I've read that you can't kill init anyway. The only option is to kill the process that is stopping init from shutting down.

• Maybe if you can't stop the container and is for a client, you can clone it?? :P

• tuxtux Member

@FRCorey said: I have a VPS with an init process for it stuck and will not kill off, has anyone seen this before and know how to unstick it without rebooting the node. Google is no real help.

Can you tell this VPS OS? Is it Ubuntu?

• You tried the

vzctl stop ctid --fast

--fast kills the VPS instead of shutting it down.

or

umount -L /vz/root/ctid

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

@BenND Pretty sure that will either lag and leave you there waiting for days or do absoulutely nothing and init is still there chewing on CPU.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I've run into this at least three times. Rebooting was the only solution.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013
  • naw it's just init and 3 ttymon's that are childs of the init process. I'm sure it's one of them that are stuck and not init stopping init from stopping. Should have a vinit that is allowed to be killed from a parent init process.