Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[idea] A Fraud Host database?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[idea] A Fraud Host database?

gianggiang Veteran
edited December 2011 in General

Hi guys,

I see there are a lot of scammers in hosting industry, especially on low end price range (below $7). I'm thinking about creating a fraud host database website to list these scammers :D

Who want join me? :D

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

If you're simply listing people, all it takes is a scammer having extra cash and willing to hire a lawyer to get you to lock up.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: If you're simply listing people, all it takes is a scammer having extra cash and willing to hire a lawyer to get you to lock up.

Francisco

My point is listing their website and their actions so potential may avoid?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

So something like StopForumSpam for scammers? This was discussed in great detail on FreeWHT a long time ago but it never got off the ground due to the fact that scammers like to hide.

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited December 2011

Illegal/questionable in many many places and a fuckload of other liability issues

@giang said: My point is listing their website and their actions so potential may avoid?

Domains are cheap and more and more are using free domains, etc.

I had an idea to actually have a maxmind like fraud database where it runs through the details they signed up with. Yes, if they put in 100% random data it wouldn't help you any, but then that's the hosts own damn fault for accepting it.

Francisco

@justinb said: llegal/questionable in many many places and a fuckload of other liability issues

spamhaus seems to do it just fine. They provide full information of what they've ran, scammed, etc, with full details.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: I had an idea to actually have a maxmind like fraud database where it runs through the details they signed up with. Yes, if they put in 100% random data it wouldn't help you any, but then that's the hosts own damn fault for accepting it.

Francisco

Did you mean fraud user database or am I understanding it wrongly? @_@

What I would like to do is create a fraud web hosting provider database :D

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

a fraud web hosting provider seems the web hosting who doing fraud. LOL

• @jenok said: a fraud web hosting provider seems the web hosting who doing fraud. LOL

Sorry, my English is not so good. It meant a database of fraud hosting provider :D

@giang ok than it is same, a hosting provider who doing fraud.

• What would be your criteria?

• Fraud is a criminal charge. In the real world, fraud is determined by the courts; the evidence is weighed and the accused gets a voice.

You can't simply label a business as a fraud because they've pissed some people off. A website isn't a legal court.

You'd be liable and the host providing you service could be liable. Not to mention it would probably be a DOS magnet.

• @Francisco said: spamhaus seems to do it just fine.

spamhaus will get theirs one day by pissing in the wrong bowl of cheerios.

• @miTgiB said: pissing in the wrong bowl of cheerios.

I'll stick with milk.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: pissing in the wrong bowl of cheerios.

You've just spoilt my day :\

• @miTgiB said: spamhaus will get theirs one day by pissing in the wrong bowl of cheerios.

Just like few others I could name but will not.

The problem you will have with the site you are suggesting is you will be guilty of liable or slander. Unless the hosts you put on the site have convicted in a court of law of fraud then you are the one who is actually committing the crime by saying they have committed a crime with no legal evidence.

This person saying that person scammed me is NOT legal evidence. Documents proving he scammed someone is NOT legal evidence unless used in a court case and accepted by a judge.

• Can't you just Google them? That usually works.

• It wouldnt help much, since all the frauds just take little time and they just run like hell.

Or if youre thinking in a DB for a possible hit a run host (remember w2servers, rackvm, ensSouth, etc)

• I believe the poster is asking about providers, not customers.

@Francisco said: spamhaus seems to do it just fine. They provide full information of what they've ran, scammed, etc, with full details.

Last time I knew, Spamhaus tracked users who are spammers and abusers. I don't recall that they track scammers when it comes to payment.

@miTgiB said: spamhaus will get theirs one day by pissing in the wrong bowl of cheerios.

Already happened a couple of times now: Example: http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/statement.lasso?ref=3

Can't really track providers who scam anyway. What's a scammer to one isn't to another person.

• It wouldn't necessarily be libel or slander to run a "scammer database" site. Sure, the scammers may CLAIM that it is, and they may even send you a letter full of legalese, but as long as your host actually has some balls, they'll stick up for you by at the very least not shutting down your site when they get a complaint.

Here's how I would set it up: Allow people to submit their story / proof that the "scammer" is actually a scammer, which then gets posted (after being checked by a human, of course). Also, include some method that the so-called scammer can use to contact you (with you being able to verify their identity), to repudiate the claims against them. Allow people to search by name/website/etc. Don't label anyone as a "scammer", label them with a recommendation that you don't do business with them. This is what spamhaus does - it doesn't say "This server is used by a spammer", they say "We recommend that you don't accept email from this server".

• @NickM said: Here's how I would set it up: Allow people to submit their story / proof that the "scammer" is actually a scammer, which then gets posted (after being checked by a human, of course). Also, include some method that the so-called scammer can use to contact you (with you being able to verify their identity), to repudiate the claims against them. Allow people to search by name/website/etc. Don't label anyone as a "scammer", label them with a recommendation that you don't do business with them. This is what spamhaus does - it doesn't say "This server is used by a spammer", they say "We recommend that you don't accept email from this server".

That's great idea. Of course, I'm going to let people submit their story ;)

@NickM said: Here's how I would set it up: Allow people to submit their story / proof that the "scammer" is actually a scammer, which then gets posted (after being checked by a human, of course).

Second to this.

Actually, to prevent scammer, you could do manual phone verification.

or

My idea below :D

-
    This idea use for company who manually process their order.

Company submit order information into a site which can be access by verified users like us. And this verified users help the company who submit order information to judge whether the order is real or scammer or another possibility.

Who are eligible to be verified users ?
    1. Well known person who own a reputable site like lowendtalk
    2. Well known person who own a reputable company like mine? :d
    3. any input ?

What kind of order information company should be submit to have verified users judge on it ?
    1. Customer details, includes name, address, registered email and/or paypal email, country, phone number
    2. Logs of customer ip address, includes register ip address, order ip address, latest login ip address
    3. any input ?

I am sure some of you doubt about this idea. And me myself doubt it too :D Since people will say how stupid if a company spread out their customer details. But yeah, this is just an idea to help some of us jump out of scammer ships.

• joesdcjoesdc Member
    edited December 2011

I actually bought DNHBL.ORG and .net .com (Do Not Host Black List) and have been working with some security organizations and other datacenters to setup just such a list. I have yet to get anything going but its a good idea.

• This is something I've been wanting to develop for years now, but being a US resident, I can see it having way too many potential legal implications. I'll stick to developing helpdesks and monitoring tools for now lol

• @clubuptime said: This is something I've been wanting to develop for years now, but being a US resident, I can see it having way too many potential legal implications. I'll stick to developing helpdesks and monitoring tools for now lol

I'm not US resident so US law maybe not affect me :-s

I actually bought DNHBL.ORG and .net .com (Do Not Host Black List) and have been working with some security organizations and other datacenters to setup just such a list. I have yet to get anything going but its a good idea.

These domains are parking with GoDaddy? @_@

• Yea I still have them parked until we get something rolling in fact I did private registration because I was afraid of being DDOS attacked if we ever actually got something up and rolling.