Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reviews and comments about WholeSaleInternet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reviews and comments about WholeSaleInternet

Hey guys,

I saw reference from various posts to WholeSaleInternet, specially https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/ I am right now running my servers on Vultr and considering to move. I was wondering if someone here has already hosted there server with them for long enough to give me some feedback? It would help me to decide if I should move. It's cheaper (Too good to be true IMOH) but is it reliable?

Comments

• Stay away from Wholesale Internet. People do other community members a disservice by recommending Wholesale Internet. They have to be the worse provider I've had to deal with. Their services are not suitable for anything that resembles a production server.

Thanked by 1voldermort
  • -1/10

Thanked by 2voldermort Unixfy
  • @voldermort said:
    It's cheaper (Too good to be true IMOH) but is it reliable?

Nope.

Thanked by 1voldermort
  • Out of interest, what are people's main gripes with WSI?

• @VortexMagnus said:
    Out of interest, what are people's main gripes with WSI?

Network issues, packet loss every now and then, old hardware, bad support are a few reasons I have heard of..

Thanked by 1voldermort
  • Out of interest, what are people's main gripes with WSI?

Yep would nice to hear about issues here

• @Junkless said:

@VortexMagnus said:
    Out of interest, what are people's main gripes with WSI?

Network issues, packet loss every now and then, old hardware, bad support are a few reasons I have heard of..

Interesting. We are looking at the $10/mo or less Atom option for our new Toronto location and keen not to repeat issues being made by other providers.

• @voldermort said:
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if someone here has already hosted there server with them for long enough to give me some feedback? It would help me to decide if I should move. It's cheaper (Too good to be true IMOH) but is it reliable?

For $10/month unmetered I think it is a reasonably good value. I've seen perfect uptime for about 6 months straight minus some self-inflicted reboots. There may have been a couple of minor burps one time for about a second or two in that time, but otherwise pretty stable with very long-lived TCP connections (days and weeks). Some fairly busy DNS services running and no real problems there. Support seems fine for the less demanding.

Thanked by 1voldermort
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2016

neopipil said: Stay away from Wholesale Internet

fxf said: Nope

Junkless said: Network issues, packet loss every now and then, old hardware, bad support are a few reasons I have heard of

Now, guys, really, have you used recently and for the long term any servers from WSI? Or this is a biased answer from what you've heard/think/imagine/read?

This is one of my WSI server, in production state (10 cms sites, 2 of them with more than 20K unique visitors per day):
    top - 03:09:31 up 75 days, 19:45, 1 user, load average: 0.67, 0.80, 1.06

Uptime is since I rebooted the server. Almost no downtime at all (monitoring says that I had ~5 minutes network loss a month ago), good speeds and an excellent value for money (30$ for dual e5520 8core 16 threads cpu with unmetered port, 24GB Ram and 3x1TB HDD).
    I have 4 servers with WSI (the above configuration, 2 of 10$ and one special of 20$ with original price of 25$) and I am very happy with their service.

@voldermort It all depends on how are you willing to use your servers. WSI is cheap.
    Support is more than decent. Every time I asked something (I asked for a server a HDD change because it had bad sectors), I got answer in minutes and issue solved very fast. Although I haven't use support much, because there was not a reason to (mostly had some request like rdns change etc.).
    But, if you will use them in production state, you should have in mind that they are an unmanaged low budget service. HDD are not new, there is no IPMI, but just a rescue system in case of an emergency, and network is not multihomed like some other more expensive providers. They use HE and Cogent and they are a member of Kansas IX (not with great bandwidth there, though).
    Some speed tests. First, from closest server:

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from Wholesale Internet (69.30.xxx.xxx)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by Packet Layer Consulting LLC (Kansas City, KS) [5.37 km]: 12.305 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 106.47 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed....................................................................................................
    Upload: 92.42 Mbit/s

Then, to my country, Greece (far far away from Kansas):

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from Wholesale Internet (69.30.xxx.xxx)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by OTE S.A. (Athens) [9380.74 km]: 211.926 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 38.30 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed....................................................................................................
    Upload: 34.63 Mbit/s

Now, if you are going to rely on those servers, you should have a backup scenario with another mirrored server ready to fired up. But, this is something you should do even if you use AWS. Backups, backups, backups. It all depend on what are your needs. Is uptime for you critical? Can't you tolerate even a minute of downtime? Then, chose something else.
    Are you capable to setup a redundant cluster of servers? Can you have a cheap mirror server in another location and another provider, or a vps that can keep your sites in life if WSI server gets down?
    Can you afford some downtime in case you only have backups and in a catastrophy, you will setup them in a new server? (that's what I do, having multiple backups ready to be deployed if there is a need).
    If so, WSI is not bad, in fact, they have a very good VFM.

Those servers are cheap. Buy one for a month and test network for your needs.
    And remember: whatever you chose, don't put all your eggs in the same basket.

• @jvndar Thanks for such a detailed response. I was looking for someone who can give me his experience. Even right now I have a backup server on Vultr with DO and I do a DNS level load balancing. I am basically considering options for having some good amount of storage (100 - 400 GB); and 512+ MB RAM with at-least 1 CPU core. As expected I ran out of space really quick, and now I am considering various options. I already found a black Friday deal on CometVPS but as you said I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I want to completely kill DO and Vultr.

Thanks for feedback really appreciate it.

• @neopipil said:
    Stay away from Wholesale Internet. People do other community members a disservice by recommending Wholesale Internet. They have to be the worse provider I've had to deal with. Their services are not suitable for anything that resembles a production server.

Please provide more specific details.

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@voldermort said:
    Hey guys,

I saw reference from various posts to WholeSaleInternet, specially https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/ I am right now running my servers on Vultr and considering to move. I was wondering if someone here has already hosted there server with them for long enough to give me some feedback? It would help me to decide if I should move. It's cheaper (Too good to be true IMOH) but is it reliable?

We had servers running with them for the past six months we just cancel to move to our own hardware, what I can say is:

Plus:
    1) Never had any downtime with them
    2) Never had any problem with the network with packet loss
    3) The price is good
    4) Customer support is very good

Cons:
    1) They don't accept colocation
    2) If you need IPs they offer only /29 IP block per month and if you need more you have to beg.
    3) Their IP lease is too expensive, $ 2.40 /IP/month

Thanked by 1voldermort
  • For you that want to know about support ticket, under one second for first level ticket....

Thanked by 1ninaprasetyo
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@akhfa said:
    For you that want to know about support ticket, under one second for first level ticket....

Quick, but that isn't a resolution, just a canned response.

OT: I haven't heard much bad about WSI other than minor network problems once in a while that people shared on WHT, they sell bargain servers, for the hardware they offer it is probably fine.. What are you wanting to host on it? If it's websites put them behind CloudFlare for the protection.

Thanked by 1voldermort
  • @MikeA said:

@akhfa said:
    For you that want to know about support ticket, under one second for first level ticket....

Quick, but that isn't a resolution, just a canned response.

OT: I haven't heard much bad about WSI other than minor network problems once in a while that people shared on WHT, they sell bargain servers, for the hardware they offer it is probably fine.. What are you wanting to host on it? If it's websites put them behind CloudFlare for the protection.

Yes, but it still better than host that need long time even for canned response ;)
    I'm pretty sure that they need more time to do something because they don't have automated system over that 'something'

I think you will see more here for their good customer support :)

• Are there any competitors to WSI out there? Something that at-least goes close to what they offer? Because right now they don't have $10 machines

• Have used their servers for a mail server months ago. Old hardware, indeed, like 15000+ hours HDD. However, network and servers are stable. I've never experienced a downtime during the period. Support is really great. I asked them to set up PTR and IPv6 and got replies in seconds.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

except for ipmi everything is good. We had a customer who needed 20 servers but because of ipmi we could not proceed with them.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2016

voldermort said: Are there any competitors to WSI out there? Something that at-least goes close to what they offer? Because right now they don't have $10 machines

If you want 10$ servers from WSI, you have to visit frequently their site. The system is automated, that means, when a server is cancelled, it is added automatically to the pool. There are every week several small machines, but the demand is high, so you have to catch them!
    As on if there is any alternative, for those specs, very few:
    https://servdiscount.com/en.html - 13,90$ for an Opteron x2150 with a single ip (add on ips @ 1€ per month)
    https://www.worldstream.nl/special - 7,5€ for a AMD X2 240 with 5TB bandwidth, single ip and 250GB HDD.
    http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs - from 4€ to 15€ small servers

FLASH * FLASH * FLASH * FLASH

There are 10$ servers available now. Grab them!

vpsrus said: If you need IPs they offer only /29 IP block per month and if you need more you have to beg. 3) Their IP lease is too expensive, $ 2.40 /IP/month

This was once upon a time. Now, you can order more ips directly from the automated panel with lower prices.

You can request additional IP ranges on your preconfigured server through our automated system once your server is online. IPs are available at $1.50 per IP per month for one /29 IP block per server per 30-day billing period.

Thanked by 1voldermort
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2016

As of support, I could say that I have not such experience anywhere else for such a fast action -not only responce- on testing and replacing HDD:

P.S. This is for a 10$ server

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • jvnadr said: http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs - from 4€ to 15€ small servers

Is there any setup fee here? I didn't see anything. Just want to ensure.

• well you guys are enticing me to get one WSI finally !

• sinsin Member
    edited December 2016

Can someone please tell me if Wholesaleinternet offers FreeBSD (and if so, what version) in their auto OS install list? It's been awhile since I've had a server there and I can't remember.

• sin said: Can someone please tell me if Wholesaleinternet offers FreeBSD (and if so, what version) in their auto OS install list? It's been awhile since I've had a server there and I can't remember.

Every setup have its own templates. In my E5520 and the smaller ones, I did not see any freebsd template. But, there are rescue systems there and I think you can install anything you want, there are some tutorials here in LET and in web for that.

akhfa said: Is there any setup fee here? I didn't see anything. Just want to ensure.

No, there is no any setup fee there, but monthly payments are more expensive than annual payment.

Thanked by 1sin
  • Not a direct WSI customer, but from a reseller - I get custom builds. I've been with them about 8 mos now, no downtime so far. My second server has a weird rate limit which they can't see what's causing it.

Aside from that one, network seems to be stable. HDDs are quite old (Toshiba), but I got a newer Intel SSD and in excellent condition. Some HDD are quite new though with better writes than the old ones I got.

No faulty hardware so far.

This is in production, I'm quite satisfied right now.

Thanked by 2Junkless voldermort
  • dedipromo said: Old hardware, indeed, like 15000+ hours HDD.

15,000 hours hdd is old? I've got an 36,000 hours+ hdd recently from reliablesite ...

Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (AF)
    Device Model:     ST1000DM003-9YN162
    9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   059   059   000    Old_age   Always       -       36253

And it's not a $10 server ;-)

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@jvnadr said:

voldermort said: Are there any competitors to WSI out there? Something that at-least goes close to what they offer? Because right now they don't have $10 machines

If you want 10$ servers from WSI, you have to visit frequently their site. The system is automated, that means, when a server is cancelled, it is added automatically to the pool. There are every week several small machines, but the demand is high, so you have to catch them!
    As on if there is any alternative, for those specs, very few:
    https://servdiscount.com/en.html - 13,90$ for an Opteron x2150 with a single ip (add on ips @ 1€ per month)
    https://www.worldstream.nl/special - 7,5€ for a AMD X2 240 with 5TB bandwidth, single ip and 250GB HDD.
    http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs - from 4€ to 15€ small servers

FLASH * FLASH * FLASH * FLASH

There are 10$ servers available now. Grab them!

vpsrus said: If you need IPs they offer only /29 IP block per month and if you need more you have to beg. 3) Their IP lease is too expensive, $ 2.40 /IP/month

This was once upon a time. Now, you can order more ips directly from the automated panel with lower prices.

You can request additional IP ranges on your preconfigured server through our automated system once your server is online. IPs are available at $1.50 per IP per month for one /29 IP block per server per 30-day billing period.

Can you tell me where is this offer $ 1.50/IP/month, just lease a dedicated from them and /29 is offered at $ 12.00 this means 5 IPs so if math is ok it is still $ 2.40 per IP

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

WSI are useless. Poor support, poor hardware and poor everything

• @hawc said:
    WSI are useless. Poor support, poor hardware and poor everything

Why don't you expand instead of throwing broad insults...

Thanked by 1yomero
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

FredQc said: I've got an 36,000 hours+ hdd recently from reliablesite ...

I would be very careful on the ST1000DM003 drives. When they start to fail, they fail pretty spectacularly. If you start seeing any pending or reallocated sectors, replace immediately.