Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any HongKong or Japan VPS/dedicated that's not banned by netflix?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any HongKong or Japan VPS/dedicated that's not banned by netflix?

I am looking for a japanese or HK VPS to build a shadowsocks proxy (to be accessed from mainland china) and one of the purposes would be to watch netflix.

I wonder if there's any VPS provider that doesn't have its IPs banned by netflix. So far I've tried Vultr and ConoHa and they're both banned.

I mean, the other solution would be to install an ExpressVPN or something similar in that box and tunnel all the traffic from the proxy to the VPN and whatnot, but if I could access netflix directly it would be really cool (also I'd get to watch the japanese/HK catalog).

Cheers

Comments

• Is there anything good on Japanese Netflix?

• noodlesnoodles Member
    edited December 2016

honestly I've seen some interesting stuff listed, but haven't been able to watch it due to proxy errors. I also guess everything is in Japanese with no English subs except for the international content (Stranger Things, etc...)

having access to the Japanese content wouldn't be a priority after all, I suppose

the thing about wanting a japanese or HK vps is mostly because all the VPNs I've tried there work very poorly with netflix. The fastest thing I could setup was a shadowsocks against a residential European line I had at home, which performed at like sustained 2 mbps to China (enough for SD quality). But I no longer have access to that box and I'd like something more stable and with the proper infrastructure.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

You need IPs from a domestic broadband provider. All IPs are blocked by default. Only broadband IPs are allowed.

We have such IPs if interested.

• Are these IPs available for VPS? What is the price range for your VPS with a domestic IP? What is your website?

I assume its HK we're talking about here?

(Lots of questions, I know).

• @Nekki said:
    Is there anything good on Japanese Netflix?

Odd for you to be asking this question..

Thanked by 1netomx
  • alexheealexhee Member
    edited December 2016

Tunnelling is definitely not preferred for streaming like Netflix or youtube.

The ones that work for me that I have VPS or dedi with:
    HK - HKBN,
    Japan - Sakura,
    Taiwan - Hinet,
    HK - Aliyun (some might not work, YMMV) - CN2,

Aliyun is opening up in Tokyo as well now, haven't tried one to find the route and check netflix yet.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited December 2016

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:
    Is there anything good on Japanese Netflix?

Odd for you to be asking this question..

Believe it or not, I never ever thought of looking there, I assumed Netflix (being a western company) would be a strictly 'no tentacles' sort of place.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • how do you make sure that IPs are blocked? I tried a few that all allowed me to access netfilix website. But never subscribed with them yet

• @alexhee said:

Aliyun is opening up in Tokyo as well now, haven't tried one to find the route and check netflix yet.

Don't expect too much on Aliyun JP, it should be nothing but NTT.
    just grab one from VULTR, much cheaper than Aliyun

• tamicrealo said: Don't expect too much on Aliyun JP, it should be nothing but NTT. just grab one from VULTR, much cheaper than Aliyun

Thanks for the advice! I think I will just stick with Sakura. I have been very happy with them so far.

• @tamicrealo said:
    how do you make sure that IPs are blocked? I tried a few that all allowed me to access netfilix website. But never subscribed with them yet

I actually tunnel or ss into those servers/vps to try watching netflix videos. Even if the ips are blocked by netflix you can still go to their website and subscribe/login etc, and you just cannot play. Maybe there is a script somewhere on github that can help to find if the ip can play netflix.

• @alexhee said:

@tamicrealo said:
    how do you make sure that IPs are blocked? I tried a few that all allowed me to access netfilix website. But never subscribed with them yet

I actually tunnel or ss into those servers/vps to try watching netflix videos. Even if the ips are blocked by netflix you can still go to their website and subscribe/login etc, and you just cannot play. Maybe there is a script somewhere on github that can help to find if the ip can play netflix.

just bought a trial account, tried my server ip and it went through everything on Netflix, HD streaming without no buffering at all, however I cannot make payment to Netflix to subscribe with them.

it said my paypal region is not supported and so did my credit card.

Any idea on how do you make payment?

• May be able to use Taiwan's Chunghwa Telecom VPS!

• tamicrealo said: just bought a trial account, tried my server ip and it went through everything on Netflix, HD streaming without no buffering at all, however I cannot make payment to Netflix to subscribe with them.

it said my paypal region is not supported and so did my credit card.

Any idea on how do you make payment?

I am from the US, so I have no problem using Netflix at all. Which country are you from? If you are in China you can try Taobao?

• layfonlayfon Member
    edited December 2016

@xkwy521 said:
    May be able to use Taiwan's Chunghwa Telecom VPS!

For their official hicloud:
    minimal configuration is ~8USD/month plus bandwidth fee ~0.1USD/GB

If you don't need exclusive content(if any?) in TW, it seems vultr Japan(if usable) is a better choice.

I'm not familiar with netflix, just viewing in the view of VPS price.

• The problem with Sakura is that you cannot sign up if you're not japanese

• noodles said: The problem with Sakura is that you cannot sign up if you're not japanese

Yeah, that's true :( .

But that's how you know buyers from China don't flood Sakura's servers with Shadowsocks to break their network. That's exactly what happened to Vultr. At first, Vultr has direct connects with CT, CM, and CU. Now I think only CM and CU are okay. Serious SS providers/sellers in China all dropped Vultr from their node list now.