Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ukcloud still selling "standard" vps's??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ukcloud still selling "standard" vps's??

titanicsaledtitanicsaled Member
edited December 2011 in General

Hello,

I was wondering if @jtodd has any plans to put a section on the ukcloud website offering the legacy quality servers vps's. I think. I think that it would be a good idea to sell off any unused server capacity (unless your planning on selling the old hardware or making it part of the cloud). I think lots of users would still benefit from your legacy vps's because if your like me and can't afford the cloud offering then people would still like to sacrifice the super performance for a more budget price?

Comments

• jhjh Member
    edited December 2011

I was thinking about putting a 'bargain bin' up for excess stock but to be honest we have very little space left, also it does take something away from the whole reason we're looking to move away from conventional VPS hosting - the nuisance.

The nodes we use for conventional hosting (bar four newer ones) are getting a bit old and whilst they generally seem to be 'ok', they're nothing to write home about. When things do go wrong with them (as we have seen!), they're much harder to put right. Also, the performance again is 'ok' but not great (disk IO in particular was an issue).

Couple the above with a lot of customers who despite paying rock bottom prices seem to have fairly high expectations of us, and you start the see the problem we've got. As a company, it's much easier to have fewer, higher end customers whose expectations can be met or even exceeded using the new platform. They'll be happy, we'll be happy and they'll tell their friends.

I'd be interested to know everyone else's thoughts about this though. After the recent RAID issues, I got the opportunity to speak to a lot of clients about their needs and found that by and large, most people were just looking for something cheap and cheerful and were generally happy with how we did things.

Either way, I like the LEB/LET community and want UKCloud to be a part of it, so if you like us as a company, then I'm sure we can work with you one way or another, even if it manes discounting our cloud servers or getting new Xen/OpenVZ boxes online.

Interested to know other people's thoughts on our change of direction and how it affects LEB/LET.

• I think the old openvz and xen nodes offer more then enough performance for the average LEB/LET user. However it was also really nice to see something totally different on LET, a budget, non fictional cloud hosting solution, although it is out of my reach a bit.

• @jtodd sorry to hack on this tread, what are your office hours for technical support (both ukcloud and qualityservers)

• jhjh Member
    edited December 2011

@titanicsaled ok well maybe I'll do the bargain bin thing then, and add those to the listings.

@thekreek in theory someone should be around at all hours for important queries, but it's a bit harder now what with the holiday season and everyone wanting to spend time with their families. Are you stuck waiting for a response?

• @jtodd everything is fine, its just that the ticket reply times have been in a different time slot, and I wanted to know when its the best time to wait for an answer due to the different time zones.

• jhjh Member

@thekreek you shouldn't have to wait very long if it's an important query, regardless of time submitted. Obviously bear in mind we're a UK-based company and have 3x as many people during the day as during the night, if that helps..

Anyway, have a good new year!