Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NodeServ Acquired
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NodeServ Acquired

I must have missed this and have not seen another posting about this on LET. Thoughts?

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/11/prweb13828617.htm

Thanked by 3GCat geekalot bersy

Comments

• Anyone have any experience with the Cloud Equity group who acquired NodeServ? Do you think users of NodeServ should grab another host before it is too late?

• From what I understand, it's a firm that acts a thousands million times bigger than it actually is.

I know of a few brands they have bought and they usually try and sell them on again 12 months later. Fresh Roasted Hosted is one of them I think, could be wrong on that point.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • nodeserv doing well, cant denied with 418 days uptime on one of my vps with them.
    hope them doing greate again in future.

Thanked by 2karjaj Acacy
  • mgilang said: nodeserv doing well, hope them doing greate again in future.

agreed.

• @vortexmagnus - is that similar to your firm? Ohio still lists you as running out of Mr. Combs apartment on your LLC.

• @OhMyMy said:
    @vortexmagnus - is that similar to your firm? Ohio still lists you as running out of Mr. Combs apartment on your LLC.

I don't know anything about that.

We looked at buying a brand off CEG and it wasn't very inspiring.

• but its your company and he is the registered agent according to ohio. And on joshcombs.com he says he was the former owner - so i guess the paperwork is pending? but now there is a big parent company. to project the big holding company image

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    NodeServ is an affordable virtual private server hosting provider that specializes in providing high quality services from its fully owned equipment and network. The company’s main facility operates within an operating Federal Reserve Branch in Jacksonville, FL and is staffed around the clock by armed federal law enforcement officers.

Yeah...

I suspect this is true in a sense but I also suspect none of those armed officers has ever heard of NodeServ.

Thanked by 2sin Mathias
  • @raindog308 said:

> NodeServ is an affordable virtual private server hosting provider that specializes in providing high quality services from its fully owned equipment and network. The company’s main facility operates within an operating Federal Reserve Branch in Jacksonville, FL and is staffed around the clock by armed federal law enforcement officers.
    > 

Yeah...

I suspect this is true in a sense but I also suspect none of those armed officers has ever heard of NodeServ.

I hope Joshua Prout can also say that his headquarters are in a facility staffed with armed guards 24/7 soon.

• isnt this the company that offered the refugee plans for Crissic users? I cant imagine this will end too well.

Wouldnt it be premium if Quadranet bought them out for IPs too.

• @JoeMerit said:
    isnt this the company that offered the refugee plans for Crissic users? I cant imagine this will end too well.

Wouldnt it be premium if Quadranet bought them out for IPs too.

Yep that would be great

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You are basing your opinion that it is a fake company because they use a stock photo?

• ktkt Member, Host Rep

hostingwizard_net said: Another fake company... Doesn't look good. https://www.facebook.com/cloudequity/

The name on one of the photos rings some bells, definitely not fake or a scam.

• @mikho Yes, somehow. Based on experience, any company that uses stock photos with people for their main communication tools has proven to be unreliable at best.

@kt Fake as not a real hosting company. Fake as a financial empty shell, like this:

"Cloud Equity Group is a Wall St. based investment management firm strategically positioned to capitalize on the expanding industries of web hosting"

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Worth noting that they also acquired Virpus.

Thanked by 1hostingwizard_net

@hostingwizard_net said:
    @mikho Yes, somehow. Based on experience, any company that uses stock photos with people for their main communication tools has proven to be unreliable at best.

Wow, I should tell that to my previous employer.
    Didn't know that I used to work for a fake company.

• @mikho said:

@hostingwizard_net said:
    @mikho Yes, somehow. Based on experience, any company that uses stock photos with people for their main communication tools has proven to be unreliable at best.

Wow, I should tell that to my previous employer.
    Didn't know that I used to work for a fake company.

He said unreliable. Not fake.

@teamacc said:
    He said unreliable. Not fake

@hostingwizard_net
    unreliable at best.

• teamacc said: He said unreliable. Not fake.

Well, seeing that the support has gone to shit already... And not getting reply on ticket nor do they answer their phone... I'm not very keen to keep my NS box.

• I asked this question in a support ticket: "I recently saw that Nodeserv was acquired. What does this mean for the future of services for NodeServ customers. Can we expect services to continue and be renewable? Or should we consider migrating to another host? Communication would be helpful."

This is the answer I got: "The acquisition just means that we'll have more resources to grow as a company and offer an even better service to our clients. There is no reason to be alarmed, this is a really good thing for everyone :)"

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt for a while, considering I have a yearly service with them, it won't hurt to keep my VPSs online for a bit longer. I doubt they have the financial backing to afford someone as competent as Jade was.

• AdamM said: I doubt they have the financial backing to afford someone as competent as Jade was.

Well I'm not sure if this Sean Frank is reluctant to give me a vzdump or if he simply doesn't know how to...

• Well I'm not sure if this Sean Frank is reluctant to give me a vzdump or if he simply doesn't know how to...

perhaps both? I was requesting them make some minor changes to my VPS, but at this point I don't want them to touch it until they get a tech guy/gal who knows what they are doing.

• Tried calling the office 4 times without luck. Now send messages via Facebook, someone is reading them (at least the "seen" function is useful sometimes), but they're not replying... frustrating...

• This is the Sean F.'s previous host company: XE Technology http://www.xehost.net/

Consider ubuntu 9 is the latest Ubuntu you can get on their VPSs, it does not look good for NodeServ. Though I have never heard of XE, maybe they are good for some customers.

• time to pull out I guess. the irc channel is a ghost town, it used to be fairly active.

• xyzxyz Member
    edited February 2017

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought this would be relevant, and I'd warn others about the state of NodeServ.

I have a server there which has been down for nearly a week now. They've responded once to my ticket, and it took two days to do so. And the response doesn't instill much confidence - in it, they claim my IP (107.155.x.x) was under attack, and he assigned another IP (162.244.x.x). I find the attack claim hard to believe, considering that I only store backups on the server and have nothing publicly facing (as in, a website or other server that arbitrary visitors hit; there are daemons listening on all addresses, for example). But regardless, the new IP doesn't work, and even a traceroute from their own looking glass shows entirely different routes to the two IPs (first IP stops responding after 2 hops, second stops responding after 12 hops).
    The control panel also claims that the server is consuming only 2.1MB of RAM, which wouldn't make sense for a properly functioning server with just a network issue.

Also, many of the control panel links like Serial console don't work, and just sends you back to the client portal. Have mentioned it in the ticket, but absolutely no response on the matter, many days later.
    I'm not sure of any other method to get in contact with anyone, so it seems like tickets are the only thing at this stage.

As I only use the server for backups, I haven't been too phased by the downtime, but I thought I'd warn others who may still be using their services, whom aren't so willing to deal with downtime. The fact that I got a response at all suggests that not all hope is lost, but... it's pretty close.
    (actually I do have some non-important data on there which I've been too lazy to back up, which I'd like to get back if possible)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

NodeServ has been great, but after reading this I won't be renewing my service with them next month. I'm getting tired of providers selling my personal info to random people they find on the internet, if I'm worth so little to you then raise your freaking prices.

• @xyz said:
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought this would be relevant, and I'd warn others about the state of NodeServ.

I have a server there which has been down for nearly a week now. They've responded once to my ticket, and it took two days to do so. And the response doesn't instill much confidence - in it, they claim my IP (107.155.x.x) was under attack, and he assigned another IP (162.244.x.x). I find the attack claim hard to believe, considering that I only store backups on the server and have nothing publicly facing (as in, a website or other server that arbitrary visitors hit; there are daemons listening on all addresses, for example). But regardless, the new IP doesn't work, and even a traceroute from their own looking glass shows entirely different routes to the two IPs (first IP stops responding after 2 hops, second stops responding after 12 hops).
    The control panel also claims that the server is consuming only 2.1MB of RAM, which wouldn't make sense for a properly functioning server with just a network issue.

Also, many of the control panel links like Serial console don't work, and just sends you back to the client portal. Have mentioned it in the ticket, but absolutely no response on the matter, many days later.
    I'm not sure of any other method to get in contact with anyone, so it seems like tickets are the only thing at this stage.

As I only use the server for backups, I haven't been too phased by the downtime, but I thought I'd warn others who may still be using their services, whom aren't so willing to deal with downtime. The fact that I got a response at all suggests that not all hope is lost, but... it's pretty close.
    (actually I do have some non-important data on there which I've been too lazy to back up, which I'd like to get back if possible)

Hello everybody,

I just had to register an account after reading the above post. The exact same thing is happening to me: two of my VPS are down, they claimed my IP was being attacked, the new IP doesn't work either, and SolusVM reports around 2MB in RAM.

• I have a VPS with them and it has been down for a few weeks now. They DID reply to my support ticket that they are in the process of migrating it to a new node (this "migration" issue has been going on for a few months now - I've just stopped using/depending on the VPS for now). Recently (a few days ago), I pinged them again, and they said that the migration is due to happen in a few days (so hopefully my VPS will again be up maybe next week). Also, the VPS has been horribly slow IO wise for a while now (so even if it was available/accessible it wasn't really usable in a meaningful way).

I have no idea what to make of it but it has definitely gone WAY downhill from Jade's times.

I did a quick check via SolusVM to see what the state of things is and found that the host node for my VPS is currently routing to a Virpus machine in the Seattle area. So they must be temporarily hosting some VPSs/host nodes out there till whatever network migration is complete.

I hope things get better after the migration (which as I understand is part of the Nodeserv -> Acquirer transition etc.).