Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xeon V2 vs V3 / DDR3 vs DDR4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xeon V2 vs V3 / DDR3 vs DDR4

UmairUmair Member
edited December 2016 in General

Hello,

So I wanted to ask the community and have some discussion/details on it.

If you going to get a new server, would you go for newer xeon V3 or older V2? (Purely talking about performance and bang of buck here for regular Web hosting stuff. (lets say Host 10 VPS)

Obviously you are going to get a better price for older model. V2 generally support DDR3 and V3 and upwards support DDR4. So Is there a huge difference between performance of V2/V3 of almost same config??

Example Config 1:  ($275/m)
Dual E5-2620V2 (2.1GHzx12) 
64GB DDR3 

Example Config 2: ($325/m)
Dual E5-2630V2 (2.6GHzx12) 
64GB DDR3 

Example Config 3: ($350/m)
Dual E5-2620v3 (2.4GHzx12) 
64GB DDR4 

So out of above 3, which option would you go for ??
(Considering everything else is the same)

Please just dont pick an option, also give your reasoning ..

Poll not found

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

For 'regular web hosting stuff' I would use option 1, install the same site on both servers in the same location and test page load speed from the same location and I guarantee you wont be able to tell the difference.

With no other data to take in to account that's about the most I can say.

Thanked by 2Umair yomero
    • @AnthonySmith said:

With no other data to take in to account that's about the most I can say.

I added "Hosting Lets say 10 VPS".

I meant the server is not for "high end DB operations" or running "extensive encoded app". For hosting Sites / VPS. (Everyday operations like LAMP / LEMP setups)

You selected Option #1 due to best price ?

• Personally, I would take an X5650 with 72GB of RAM over all these options which will cost you like $85 with most providers around.

But that's me...

My answer remains the same, you wont notice any tangible difference.

Thanked by 1Umair
    • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
      edited December 2016

Depends on your web app. Bandwidth diff for DDR3 vs DDR4, number of cpu cores/threads, processor L1/L2/L3 cache size and speed, AVX2 utilisation in v3 and https/encryption/decryption and AES-NI performance would be factors to consider for your specific web app(s).

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

If you are looking at going with the 2620v3 i would have the host bump it to a v4 not much price difference. Example

We had a promo running for

Dual E5-2620v4
      128 GB
      4 x 1 TB SSD
      30TB
      /29
      For 499/month as a promo for black friday

when we placed this last order for these servers the price between the v3 and v4 was really nothing so we went and got the v4

Thanked by 1Umair
    • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Depends on what you using the server for.

For the hosting services you've mentioned, an E5 is overkill.

Actually coming to think of it, I would not take any of those 3, I would take an E3v5 with 64GB Ram like the ones @Clouvider has, that will make a difference

Thanked by 1Clouvider