Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

virtualize my VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

virtualize my VPS

magiquejmagiquej Member
edited December 2016 in Help

Hi all,

I spent 2 fully days to try to install a virtualization solution on my VPS and deploy a container or a virtualized OS (linux).

Why ? because I want to "one-click" export or recreate all the content of my VPS on my own local server (nginx / apache / discourse / databases etc... many customizations).

My VPS is : Openvz, 8 GB, SSD 40 GB - tun OK, overlay : KO - kernel 2.6.32-042stab120.6
ssdnodes is the provider, very reactive

As you know, the kernel is emulated, so it's quiet better than 2.6 but, no possibility to upgrade because it's on host.

I tried everything :
install qemu (+virt-install) and create a virtual machine --> ko
install virtualbox and create a virtual machine --> ko
install docker --> KO (kernel 3.0 required)
install rocket --> not supporterd
install vagrant --> useless because virtualbox is needed

Any idea ?

Comments

• I don't think you can virtualize on a OVZ Vps...?

• OpenVZ <- problem

• @masterqqq said:
    OpenVZ <- problem

This. Cuz kernel. If you want virtualization in a VPS, you should really get KVM. Even then, virtualizing in virtualization just isn't the same.

• Virtualization need to access or maybe modify your kernel, you can't do that on OpenVZ except you have access to the node.

• KVM VPS with LXC works great. if you want virtualization within virtualization, i have found no major issues with it, performance seems great.

I'm just using https://virt-manager.org/ to manage it all. (well, doing ansible, but virt-manager will give virtualbox like interface in one window across multiple KVM VPS's)

• magiquejmagiquej Member
    edited December 2016

no luck for me , I was not informed about limitations on openvz vps :( ...

• @magiquej said:
    no luck for me , I was not informed about limitations on openvz vps :( ...

If you lucky they may offer moneyback guarantee, or just let it go and wait next black friday

• thank you all for your answers, I'll discuss with Matt from ssdnodes about the situation

• We recommend to use a dedicated machine to create VPS. What is your requirement for creating a VPS within VPS.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

magiquej said: thank you all for your answers, I'll discuss with Matt from ssdnodes about the situation

I am sure he is very well aware, if not then you should really be worried, anyway OpenVZ is not even a true VPS, it is not real virtualization, you essentially have a directory on the host node.

You need a KVM or Xen HVM VPS to make this happen really.

• @AlphaNinevps_com said:
    We recommend to use a dedicated machine to create VPS. What is your requirement for creating a VPS within VPS.

Actually my need is more to have directly a hosting offer for importing Docker containers... with enough RAM & HDD.

• @AnthonySmith said:

magiquej said: thank you all for your answers, I'll discuss with Matt from ssdnodes about the situation

I am sure he is very well aware, if not then you should really be worried, anyway OpenVZ is not even a true VPS, it is not real virtualization, you essentially have a directory on the host node.

You need a KVM or Xen HVM VPS to make this happen really.

You're right. Or a docker hosting solution.