Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should we ban potential deadpoolers from posting offers here?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should we ban potential deadpoolers from posting offers here?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited April 2013 in General

Based on the historical records, I doubt too many people will disagree if I say we'll see PremiumVM would be disappearing/sold out in a few weeks' time.

We all know that if someone has defaulted a few times, he/she would be rejected by the bank when asking for a loan, so my question is, why would providers who has promised people he is here to stay a few times, and yet close down his shop after a few weeks, why would providers who has promised he will start off slowly with reseller plans and yet comes up with new ideas once every few days and is selling VPS and dedi to start with with no reseller plan, would be allowed to advertise here just like any other provider?

I remembered when @LowEndAdmin was here, providers with a bad reputations was hunted down quickly and they don't even have the guts to post offers here. What has changed since then?

Comments

• @zhuanyi said: What has changed since then?

Ownership and the slow, but quickening downfall of this forum.

And yes, I agree with everything else you said.

• It should be required for provider owners to send their identity scan, CV, and bank statement before posting

• LeeLee Veteran

@MannDude said: Ownership and the slow, but quickening downfall of this forum.

This.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

providers with a bad reputations was hunted down quickly and they don't even have the guts to post offers here. What has changed since then?

They all returned under different aliases and we had no clue, that's what happened. These people that started 2 or 3 operations, you really think they disappeared? We've seen time and time again that they'll stop at nothing to try again. More likely we just didn't put the pieces together and figure out which newcomer they were. At least Dominic is operating in plain sight. I'm not sure I want to encourage more of the other.

Just my two cents.

• And my last request to force all provider to remove whois protection on their domains were quickly closed as well...

I know LET/LEB was about giving people options, and I personally encourage competition since the ultimate beneficiary of competition is consumers like you and me.

However, that is provided we all have access to the equal amount of information. I know PremiumVM is not going to work because I have been here for a while and knew what happened before. How about someone new who just happen to need a VPS in Ohio and didn't know the history behind it?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

I'm now star of the show. /jk but I'm assisting dominic and steering things in the right direction, granted my time is limited as I have other things to do but I'm getting things straightend out today while I have spare time and you can be damn sure that this will be a good one.

This thread wasn't neccessary, lay off him.

@zhuanyi said: we'll see PremiumVM would be disappearing/sold out in a few weeks

Nothing you can do. That new person who doesn't know any better gets screwed whether its Dominic or http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

• @jarland said: They all returned under different aliases and we had no clue, that's what happened. These people that started 2 or 3 operations, you really think they disappeared? We've seen time and time again that they'll stop at nothing to try again. More likely we just didn't put the pieces together and figure out which newcomer they were. At least Dominic is operating in plain sight. I'm not sure I want to encourage more of the other.

I think this is like saying we should encourage stealing because otherwise people will be forced to participate in robbery which may cause more bodily harm than stealing.

Although I see the rationale of what you've mentioned, but I am not sure if I can completely agree with you.

@Jacob said: This thread wasn't neccessary, lay off him.

No 1. As far as I know EaseVPS has had a lot of issues itself as well, I've mentioned it here: http://96forum.com/Thread-EaseVPS-VPS-moved-3-times-in-3-months, and I don't plan to mention it again

No 2. It is necessary because at least the admins on LET and whoever just comes to LET would know that PremiumVM is not a promising provider (based on its history) and make their purchase/advertising decisions accordingly.

edited April 2013

Add some type of user reputation system similar in concept to eBay. Use part of the ad money to pay someone to oversee it.

But...you'll still just encourage people to drop their rep and be a "new person." The harder you push them, the better they'll get at it. Failed providers listen to no one. Except maybe Randy, but he's probably here too.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited April 2013

And who is qualified to determine if a person should be allowed to advertise here or not? Existing providers? I don't think so. We don't need to turn this into an elite club and competition is a good thing, despite the occasional rotten apple.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

@Pubcrawler pretty much answers why all the downtime has occured, also your VPS wouldn't of been moved 3 times, we had a IP Change which would mean your VPS first was in one of our US Locations and then moved to the UK, which would mean your IP changes(because of the migration), and then another IP change because of DDoS, etc..

Disregarding UK Location, US Locations have been flawless along with our new SSD Cached nodes.

Have you since cancelled, or do you still have a active service?

@zhuanyi said: As far as I know EaseVPS has had a lot of issues itself as well, I've mentioned it here: http://96forum.com/Thread-EaseVPS-VPS-moved-3-times-in-3-months, and I don't plan to mention it again

• bobbybobby Member

People can still decide to buy or not no?

Sidenote: Seems pubcrawler said something that got deleted, hehe.

• @jarland said: Add some type of user reputation system similar in concept to eBay. Use part of the ad money to pay someone to oversee it.

+1, I think that is a great idea

@Jack said: He has grown up a little now a few more weeks and he has finished school.

Apparently he still needs to go to high school?

@Chronic said: And who is qualified to determine if a person should be allowed to advertise here or not?

Not providers, but some rules that would certainly penalize someone if he has failed many times, or like @jarland said, reputation points.

@Jacob said: @Pubcrawler pretty much answers why all the downtime has occured, also your VPS wouldn't of been moved 3 times, we had a IP Change which would mean your VPS first was in one of our US Locations and then moved to the UK, which would mean your IP changes(because of the migration), and then another IP change because of DDoS, etc..

Disregarding UK Location, US Locations have been flawless along with our new SSD Cached nodes.

Have you since cancelled, or do you still have a active service?

I do not want to derail my thread here, let's talk about the issues with EaseVPS at where I started the discussions about EaseVPS.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

Simply put, instead of setting up a lynch mob, what you should do is when hosts with seedy pasts post, you should make note of it in the comments. I see no reason for this thread beyond wanting to stomp your feet and get attention. I think I made it clear in his thread that he needed to gain trust before most people would buy in again. I think what I gave was enough warning for most people to think twice. Hopefully now, most people going into the purchase will have already determined they are willing to take the risk.

In fact, one of my biggest complaints here is the fact that most of you treat $1-$7 as if its $200.00 and you can't afford to lose it or you life will end. My suggestion to people like that, is just like the suggestion I give to people who wish to invest in the stock market and bitcoins: If you can not afford to lose it, do NOT spend it in the first place. If you are still dumb enough to spend the money, then you deserve what you get. Losing $7.00 is not the end of the world and in this case, if you decided to spend with him, you should more so consider it investing in the kids future and helping him learn, anything beyond that and YOU are the dumb ass.

TL; DR:
    Some of the people here need to step up and just take responsibility for their own poor decision making skills which they employed when spending their money in the first place.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• JacobJacob Member

Don't worry, I'm not in control of @dominicl, but I sure hope he tries since I've stuck my neck out for him here.

@bobby said: People can still decide to buy or not no?

I was referring to the http://96forum.com link.

@bobby said: Sidenote: Seems pubcrawler said something that got deleted, hehe.

• LeeLee Veteran

I agree with the point that having the likes of premiumVM visible means it's easier to avoid hosts you know will only last a short period.

For those the follow the forums you know who to avoid or not as the case may be, everyone needs to do their own research at the end of the day.

That said I do however agree that people should not be allowed back time and time again, what it does is gives them a sense of it's ok to do this, sure people will be pissed but they will get over it. And yes they may well re-invent themselves under a different persona, which seems to the new black at the minute anyway.

Seriously, so many of you shout about giving new providers a chance, then people sign up, get shafted but are still quite happy to support them when appear "all grown up" 3 weeks later.

• JacobJacob Member

Sure, I'll drop you a ticket.(If I can find you, pm would be appreciated as I doubt I will find you searching through a couple thousand names).

@zhuanyi said: I do not want to derail my thread here, let's talk about the issues with EaseVPS at where I started the discussions about EaseVPS.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Obviously, I don't think that anybody should be banned from posting offers unless they've done something really bad such as stolen money, etc. When I closed down, at least I offered people a choice of options and moved them over rather than just shut them down straight away.

I'm here to stay, and @Jacob (as he said) is steering me in the right direction and giving me some advice. I can guarantee you (and I actually mean it this time) that PVM (v2) will not close down anytime soon at all. I've got no reason to close down when I can sustain the operation without any difficulties at all.

You will see that the services provided by myself aren't that bad at all, and that this time is "for real" and that PVM is not going anywhere.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@Jack said: To be quite honest @zhuanyi you put all that effort into winning the kickstart project and I am yet to see you start it..

I noticed that.

• jhjh Member
    edited April 2013

I think access to post on the offers forum should be restricted to those whose offers don't attract this sort of attention from other members. Some sort of reputation system is what's needed.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Jack said: To be quite honest @zhuanyi you put all that effort into winning the kickstart project and I am yet to see you start it..

I think @Chief should pass it on to a runner up as you're just taking the piss.

+1

Consider the people that @zhuanyi beat out. How would you feel if competed and lost, and then the winner took it for granted and dismissively said "I'll start it when I feel like it".

It's rude and offensive behavior.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

If you do that then you will restrict the infusion of new offers as it will take new hosts or hosts that are new to this community jumping through hoops to post. Slowly hosts will just decided not to come here anymore because there is just to many hoops to jump through first, like a circus animal. I think this would turn it into the 'good ol' boys' club and stunt the growth of this community. The best way to handle this is to comment on the hosts thread where they have a seedy past or something to be weary of, after all, that is the point of a forum to begin with, right?

If you guys want to keep making up rules we might as well turn this in to lowendserverebay.com and just require all people to register and all to use the same payment methods....ahhh just got a nose bleed thinking about it. The more you guys keep trying to add rules and change things the quicker this community is gonna go down hill. We need to just be more proactive and encourage others to be proactive in their research before purchasing as well.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• To those who request a reputation system, I do support that. But good luck getting that done here or on Vanilla.

I support a stricter guideline for offers being posted, included requiring legal operating status, in business for X amount of months, no private WhoIS whatsoever, etc. Combined with a reputation system of sorts. NO pricing barrier, because all that does is cause people to pack more in for less and lets face it, you don't need a 6GB $7/mo VPS for your no traffic Wordpress blog.

• @MannDude said: To those who request a reputation system, I do support that. But good luck getting that done here or on Vanilla.

I'd love to help implementing such solution here if the owner wants it.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@Jack said: I think @Chief should pass it on to a runner up as you're just taking the piss.

My thoughts exactly, sure there may be a bit of planning needed but if you had the plan all along and set it out in your application for the competition it shouldn't be hard. If you don't want to start it, you shouldn't have accepted the prize. Just my $0.02.

@raindog308 said: It's rude and offensive behavior.

Exactly.

edited April 2013

@TheLinuxBug said: the fact that most of you treat $1-$7 as if its $200.00

I honestly don't think that anyone here cares about their $7. We act like we do to hold people accountable. I didn't make someone sell a service for $7. Furthermore, there's a difference in "I spent $7 on a product that didn't live up to my expectations" and "I was conned out of $7 from someone who saw an opportunity to scam people" or even "This person is trying to scam people to make a quick buck, even if it is just a buck." Context is important.

• There should be a RAM limit of 512MB. This is meant to be LowEndBox, not 4GigaByteAtCheapBox.

• @superpilesos said: It should be required for provider owners to send their identity scan, CV, and bank statement before posting

This!

• @Infinity said: My thoughts exactly, sure there may be a bit of planning needed but if you had the plan all along and set it out in your application for the competition it shouldn't be hard. If you don't want to start it, you shouldn't have accepted the prize. Just my $0.02.

The competition should have had a rule "Must start in X amount of time"

• @MrAndroid said: There should be a RAM limit of 512MB.

Yes, please.