Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any volunteers to beta test a storage/backup VPS hosting service? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any volunteers to beta test a storage/backup VPS hosting service?

2»

Comments

• TimTim Member

My Backupsy VPS was set up today, and a ~11GB backup of my website is now sitting on the storage server. I still need to automate it and backup mysqldump files and other VPS folders like /etc/ but it's a start :). According to the transfer speeds provided over the SSH session, I was seeing between 3.4 and 4.7MB/s while transfering a large ~1GB file. Note that I was pulling from my VPS to the Backupsy server.

The ordering process was simple and I recieved two emails notifying me when the order was confirmed and when the OS was installed. I was able to log in over SSH without issue and SCP over my site (though I'll probably use rsync once i get the automation scripts sorted).

The control panel is nice, and I like the graphical stats showing cpu, mem, and disk usage over time. I like the Backupsy control panel more than my own VPS' panel heh.

One suggestion I have is to note either in the email or during ordering that once the OS is installed, you can log in using SSH on IP addrees 'iphere' at port 22 (or w/e it is if you use a custom port). Use root for the username along with the password provided during checkout. Windows users should use a program such as PuTTy, ect.

I think something along those lines would be helpful to new users.

I look forward to testing it out further.

• @Tim, thanks a lot for your test. I'm doing the modifications to that email template right now.

Oktay

• TimTim Member

@serverian said: @Tim, thanks a lot for your test. I'm doing the modifications to that email template right now.

Oktay

Cool, I'm glad I could help :). I have an aesthetic/usability suggestion as well:

One other thing I noticed was on the control page. Some of the links across the top nav bar have a menu with more options that pops up when you click on them. I would suggest putting a small arrow next to the text on the buttons that have drop-down menus.

Billing, Support, and the Hello, ! buttons each have dropdown menus with more options, so some indicator as such might be good to implement. A mouseover event could work as well, but I actually like that the dropdown menu only appears when the corresponding top navigation bar button is clicked.

Home, Summary, Services, and Affiliates are fine as they are one click though.

Keep up the good work, the service looks to be shaping up nicely!

• serverianserverian Member
    edited April 2013

@Tim, thank you. This is done.

Oktay

• 1.) I like how the stats are all on the page. It's kinda nice to be able to go look at those quickly.
    2.) The OS choices are great, and being able to do auto install is nice too.

Setting mine up right now!

• Thanks @bcarlsonmedia. Please let me know if you find any issues.

Oktay

• TimTim Member

@bcarlsonmedia said: 1.) I like how the stats are all on the page. It's kinda nice to be able to go look at those quickly.

+1, having the stats and other controls all on a single page is really useful!

• hey here one account more please, i want help :D