Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Windows web desktop
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Windows web desktop

jhjh Member
    edited April 2013 in General

A couple of years back I read about a beta service offering a Windows desktop in a web browser. Does anyone know what it was called, or if there's anything similar? It's for those times I need Windows or a fast connection to shift files around etc.

Occasional usage, nothing dodgy but a low budget :)

Greetings of the day!!!!

Comments

• wdqwdq Member

I know OnLive had some sort of Windows desktop in the cloud. I don't remember if it was in the web browser, or a standalone app. Otherwise a KVM VPS with a web based KVM client might get the job done.

• imperioimperio Member
      edited April 2013
    • MaouniqueMaounique Member
      edited April 2013

It could have been some VNC. I dont recall anything of the kind. There are a few RDP services I think I saw, but did never look a second time to those.
      Edit: imperio beat me to it :)

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• rdp hosting is generally terrible, overloaded OVH machines sold on wjunction for warez encoding/uploading

• markmark Member

I have a KVM machine with OpenITC that I use with RDP. I sometimes forget it's not my local PC because the performance is so good. I also have ThinRDP installed to access RDP in a regular browser for connections that use http proxy only (like at work).

• jhjh Member

@wdq said: OnLive

Looks good but nothing for Mac unfortunately.

@superpilesos said: rdp hosting is generally terrible

Haven't tried it but got a feeling a lot of it is. Does anyone know of any quality providers of RDP hosting?

Greetings of the day!!!!

• A good quality rdp host would be a windows vps host. rdp hosting just is bad, like anything advertising itself as "offshore hosting" probably would be. i'm also 90% sure the only "security" they have is giving people non-administrator accounts on windows

• jhjh Member

Look what I found!

Ok, where can I get a very cheap Windows VPS in the EU? Burst has one for £5/month.. Not sure if anyone's tried that.

Greetings of the day!!!!

• Why does he advertise in his site description that he uses desktop hardware?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
      edited April 2013

But dude your gonna miss out on Autoboot™ and all the other cool Auto™ features. You know you want to :P

/troll

Have an Allwinner H3 device? Android? Check out H3Droid! | Lichee Pi Zero - The 6$ SBC | #SYSarm - Get It! | Atomic Pi - $35 x86 SBC
      20+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting, Administration and Development

• We are a Microsoft partner, so we can offer any licenses you may need on our KVM line. Will be out of LEB pricing though of course, give me a shout if your interested.

• jhjh Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: We are a Microsoft partner, so we can offer any licenses you may need on our KVM line. Will be out of LEB pricing though of course, give me a shout if your interested.

How far out of LEB pricing?

Greetings of the day!!!!

• @jhadley said: How far out of LEB pricing?

Well.. Windows server standard is £10.36/month on its own (That's the cost we get them at). Then we're talking $7 for our latest 1GB KVM deal.

• Couldn't you use windows trial version and reinstall the vps every month?

• jhjh Member
      edited April 2013

@superpilesos said: Couldn't you use windows trial version and reinstall the vps every month?

Dreamspark might be a better idea actually - not paying £10/month for a licence for this unfortunately.

EDIT: Actually just remembered I've got a Win 8 licence somewhere.

Greetings of the day!!!!

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Provider

I remember the exact service you are talking about it. I had an account with it and tried it a while back (couple of years ago). If only I could remember what it was called....

Subnet Labs, LLC Contact Us Deploy to: Seattle, Dallas or NYC
      Impact VPS | Cloud Servers | Storage Servers | Impact Shared | Shared Hosting

• klikliklikli Member
      edited April 2013

@jhadley said: It's for those times I need Windows or a fast connection to shift files around etc.

What about "cloud servers"? I mean like with Azure or EC2, you could quickly fire up a Windows instance when you need it, and get it shut when you don't.

• jhjh Member
      edited April 2013

@klikli said: What about "cloud servers"? I mean like Azure of EC2 you could quickly fire up a Windows instance when you need it, and get it shut when you don't.

Nearly ideal. Only problem is you have to reinstall your stuff every time you fire one up (or pay storage and wait?).

Greetings of the day!!!!

• jarjar Provider

@jhadley said: A couple of years back I read about a beta service offering a Windows desktop in a web browser.

Sounds familiar. Let's see if I can find it.
      http://gigaom.com/2013/01/25/want-to-run-windows-through-an-html5-browser-mikogo-has-you-covered/
      http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/spoon-runs-windows-desktop-applications-browser/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_desktop

Nothing quite looks like what I recall, which I think is the same thing you're recalling. Oh well.

• jarjar Provider

http://www.nivio.com

That's it! I'm almost certain of it.

• @jhadley

Why not use a ubuntu desktop etc?

• jhjh Member

@jarland said: That's it! I'm almost certain of it.

Name rings a bell, cheers bud. Will check it out!

@GetKVM_Ash said: Why not use a ubuntu desktop etc?

Not sure what's compatible and what isn't. E.g. today I needed to use Supermicro's IPMI which doesn't work well on my Mac, so guessing it's probably only built for Windows.

Greetings of the day!!!!

• jarjar Provider

@jhadley said: today I needed to use Supermicro's IPMI which doesn't work well on my Mac, so guessing it's probably only built for Windows

Windows 2003 runs just well enough on a ramnode 256mb KVM to get the job done. I shut it down when I'm done because I'm not enough of a jerk to push the 256mb VPS that much, but it works ;)

• 2008RC2 works here in 512 enough to host another VM with linux inside, do multi-tabbed browsing with flash, openoffice, gimp and adobe reader all in the same time.
      So, why would you need more ? We are out of stock but can do one exception for you at 7$. Licensed, of course.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• IntcsIntcs Member

Don't know if those would work or be in a suitable price range with that requirement
      http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157/windows-vps-by-hourly-rate
      since for +1 GB ram and a decent CPU it becomes not too cheap afaik.

Please beware that his parents are now using the membership to post for their own, together with our precious son..

• @superpilesos said: Why does he advertise in his site description that he uses desktop hardware?

Probably he really think this is the something top-notch for servers :)

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself!
      96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some)

• @jhadley

I do something similar to you with a Kimsufi, just load it up with a dreamspark licence and you're good to go.
      That's probably one of your cheapest options available.

Need to reach me quickly? Ping me on Discord

• How do you get windows up there?
      iirc, OVH does not allow to have your own iso installed.
      I'd love to have a remote Windows machine as desktop, too.

• @Shigawire. Just add your windows licence key to the licences area of the OVH manager then re-install to the correct version. Simple!

• it requires a spla key, doesnt it? i tried a few dreamspark keys and didnt worked.

Hi!

• tuxtux Member
      edited April 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: We are a Microsoft partner, so we can offer any licenses you may need on our KVM line.

So, Windows 3.1 is possible?

• n0myn0my Member

@tridinebandim said: it requires a spla key, doesnt it? i tried a few dreamspark keys and didnt worked.

Keys from dreamspark work. I have used myself on kimsufi.

• Nice to know.
      @ElliotJ, what Kimsufi do you use?
      Is an Atom one enough to run Windows 7 smoothly?

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
      edited April 2013

i just tried in managerv5 it accepted the license, in managerv3 i think, it tries to identify it, if its spla license...

update*** couldn't make it work...

Hi!

• @Shigawire, 2G. It works okay, not the fastest thing in the world, but it does the job.

• You can also look into eyeOS or Ulteo

• Ehm...

www.dreamspark.com uses an invalid security certificate.