Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domain registrar suggestions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Domain registrar suggestions

Hey, it's me again. I posted here earlier today asking advice for a vps and you've all been great. So I was thinking of buying a domain.

Is GoDaddy fine, and can I then somehow "connect" the domain to my server? A quick search brought up this page, but I'm not entirely sure it applies in my case since it's talking about Cloud Servers. Also, if I wanted to have subdomains (something like test.example.com) could I do that with a GoDaddy domain?

Comments

• You could.

But should you?

Check out Namesilo, Internet.bs, Porkbun.

• leckleyleckley Member
    edited December 2016

Yes, I am quite certain GoDaddy still provides free DNS management when you purchase a domain through them (registration or transfer).

In the event they don't you can always sign-up for a free account from CloudFlare.

When you are in the DNS management area you are needing to creating "A Records".

www -> A Record -> Your VPS IP

mydomain.com -> A Record -> Your VPS IP

subdomain.mydomain.com -> A Record -> Your VPS IP

You would also want to create MX Record entries if you are managing email for your domain on your VPS or otherwise.

We also offer free DNS management with our domains too :P

• IMHO, GoDaddy is too greedy - the price is high. Try to use Namecheap or Uniregistry. Personally I have tons domains there.

• I have nearly all my domains with Name.com. If need some cctlds, I'd recommend 101domain.com, as they provide amazing trustee services that saves your time preparing for the documents.

• GoDaddy is for sheep - check out namesilo.com, gandi.net, namecheap.com ..
    (all include DNS hosting with domain registration)

• Freenom for cheap, works for me. Nobody ever recommends them, Godaddy also doesn't like them. Though, cheap wasn't requested in this thread, then enom.

• I'm a big fan of NameSilo- they answered my questions on the same day, and were more than happy to take my GD registrations. The only thing I didn't like was that they made me drop privacy to make transfers easier- I'm sure some ruthless domain info site got that- not that it's useful.

They also offer free privacy. Their site is very web1.0, and it does the job perfectly.

• layclayc Member
    edited December 2016

I'd go with namecheap. They are quite cheap or at least not overpriced, offer free DNS management & whois protectio and I've used them for years without any problem.

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited December 2016

I use Google domains. $12 a year including privacy and excellent support that answers within 2 rings. Moved everything from Godaddy to Google domains. Sometimes I will register a domain with Godaddy for 1-2 years to save a few bucks and then transfer it to Google domains the next day.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2016

@cheapwebdev said:
    I use Google domains. $12 a year including privacy and excellent support that answers within 2 rings. Moved everything from Godaddy to Google domains. Sometimes I will register a domain with Godaddy for 1-2 years to save a few bucks and then transfer it to Google domains the next day.

Will have to keep that in mind. Are they $TODAY+365, or $EXPIRE_DATE+365? I was estatic that NameSilo would take my existing expiration, and add a year to that. My 2020 domain is now good up to a 2021 refresh. :D

• @WSS said:

@cheapwebdev said:

Will have to keep that in mind. Are they $TODAY+365, or $EXPIRE_DATE+365? I was estatic that NameSilo would take my existing expiration, and add a year to that. My 2020 domain is now good up to a 2021 refresh. :D

Oh yes, of course. Its Google :)
    When I buy my domains on Godaddy (about 2 years at purchase), I wait a week. Then I initiate transfer to Google Domains where I pay $12 for another year of registration and after the transfer is complete, I have roughly 3 years minus about a 1-2 weeks depending on the transfer timeline. Google is not here to rob you, but set a new standard of quality and service for the industry.

Please review Google Domain Pricing Chart.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • I would recommend Name.com, NameSilo.com and namecheap.

Whois privacy is free at NameSilo, you can use to get multiple year privacy at Name.com by using coupon Privacyplease and free for one year at namecheap.

Thanked by 1UnmeteredNAT
  • gramsax said: IMHO, GoDaddy is too greedy - the price is high.

Indeed.They just trick you into buying a domain from them for a year at a cheap rate and rip you off afterwards , That's their strategy,In my country they place a lot of ads on TV to attract users.

• @dedipromo said:
    I have nearly all my domains with Name.com. If need some cctlds, I'd recommend 101domain.com, as they provide amazing trustee services that saves your time preparing for the documents.

I strongly recommend against 101domain unless they're your only option besides a small, foreign webhost selling its countries ccTLD. I've had two really poor experiences with support. Their management with some TLDs is awful, eg marking contacts as corporations and not individuals, not being able to update nameservers, not being able to update contacts or create new ones. Sure interfacing with so many different registries is tough but that's their main business, so I don't know why they're chill about it. They'll fix problems, but for example they took 2 months to change contacts to an individual status and enable the registry's own WHOIS privacy.

They've also registered domains in my name without me ever requesting this be done or placing any orders for the domains. Whoever I talked to about it kept saying I requested it, and couldn't seem to see any difference between a registrar acting in someone's behalf and acting on someone's behalf. There still was a resolution to this, but it took unnecessarily long.

Eh, I still wouldn't recommend them but they're probably actually fine and will work for most people. Just expect to become frustrated at how you can't make any changes to your domains and how the supports give you attitude for asking for their help to resolve their own problems.

• recently transferred a .co.uk to Namecheap for $6 and they somehow added a second year so it doesn't expire until November 2018 :)

• If you can't spend an extra $1 or $2 a year on a domain from a good registrar.... (google includes privacy in $12 a year!)

• 1and1 is actually much better than others say - and they're cheap, too.
    I've had good experiences in the past with Network Solutions, and name.com additionally has good deals from time to time.

• Hi,

namecheap.com it is very great registrar.

Regards,