Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I suppose the bandwidth speed of VPS is too low. What do you recommend?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I suppose the bandwidth speed of VPS is too low. What do you recommend?

gramsaxgramsax Member
edited December 2016 in Help

Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5520  @ 2.27GHz
CPU Cores       : 4
Frequency       : 2266.930 MHz
Memory          : 3008 MB
Swap            :  MB
Uptime          : 4 days, 8:43,

OS              : \S
Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel          : 3.10.0-327.36.3.el7.x86_64
Hostname        : gram.saxxon

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
---------------------
Your public IPv4 is ...

Location                Provider        Speed
CDN                     Cachefly        9.19MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          5.29MB/s
Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       3.07MB/s
Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       2.08MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       2.01MB/s
Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       1.78MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          2.26MB/s
Singapore               Softlayer       1.11MB/s

Comments

• Bitch, hide your IP.

• Nekki said: Bitch, hide your IP.

Fixed, sorry

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What sort of answer could you possibly expect with such little info?

How fast do you need?

Why is that not fast enough?

Where is the VPS to begin with?

Have you selected a gbit nic driver?

What are you using it for?

Why am I asking all of these questions?

Why is a mouse when it spins?

What do I recommend?, I can answer that one, I recommend you think about your original post a bit more and try again.

Thanked by 1gramsax
  • gramsaxgramsax Member
    edited December 2016

AnthonySmith said: What sort of answer could you possibly expect with such little info?

Anthony,

Thank you for your answer.
    I've just noticed slow speed on my SSH client, then checked bandwidth speed.
    When I compared it to the bandwidth speed of my another VPS, it's tens times lower.
    I've just installed CentOS, no more drivers.
    Also I have the following settings during installation:

Virtual Network Emulation Type     netfront
    Virtual Network Interface Type     default
    Virtio         No

I'm a noob in questions of VPS settings, you look professional, so I will be very thankful for your help.

login to the vps control panel, change your network driver type to virtio, test again, but really because it is not as fast as another VPS is a bit of an odd thing to base it on.

Are you in China, is the VPS in Germany, while your other one is in Phoenix?

So many variables to consider.

Thanked by 1gramsax
  • AnthonySmith said: login to the vps control panel, change your network driver type to virtio, test again, but really because it is not as fast as another VPS is a bit of an odd thing to base it on.

Are you in China, is the VPS in Germany, while your other one is in Phoenix?

Anthony, my other VPS are in USA (LA, NY).This one is in Hong Kong as I checked by IP tracing. I will try your recommendation to change network driver to Virtio.

Well... you will never get great speeds or high bandwidth from hong kong unless you are paying a premium, so that brings me back to.. why do you need it to be faster? it can clearly achieve around 100mbit.

Thanked by 1gramsax
  • gramsaxgramsax Member
    edited December 2016

AnthonySmith said: Well... you will never get great speeds or high bandwidth from hong kong unless you are paying a premium, so that brings me back to.. why do you need it to be faster? it can clearly achieve around 100mbit.

I supposed to put there around 20-30 wordpress sites. Don't think they will be good-looking for customers by speed.

Where are the 'customers' ? if they are in Hong Kong it will be great, if they are not, why did you buy a VPS in Hong Kong?

Thanked by 1gramsax
  • gramsax said: I supposed to put there around 20-30 wordpress sites. Don't think they will be good-looking for customers by speed.

What is the traffic of those wp sites? As Anthony said, why do you need it to be faster? If your websites do not have million of visitors per month, then you probably should be OK. Are your websites loading fast enough? Do you have to wait for ages for a page to load? In most of cases, a slower bandwidth pipe (and I do not mean something like 1mbps, of course) will not affect really some generic websites, except if you need fast speed - ping for some reasons.
    If this vps is in Honk Kong, I assume that you are targeting in local visitors. 5-6MB/s is equal to 70-80 mbps, so, reaching a 100Mbps line. This kind of line is more than enough for 20 WP sites, except if you host a site that attracts several millions of visitors per month.

TL;DR
    Probably your vps is OK. The speeds you get for HK is not bad.

Thanked by 1gramsax
  • AnthonySmith said: Where are the 'customers' ? if they are in Hong Kong it will be great, if they are not, why did you buy a VPS in Hong Kong?

Because I bought it on Thanksgiving sale.
    Customers are around the world. Some minor are in East Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia). Maybe, I will use this VPS for them.
    Thank you for the help!

• jvnadr said: If this vps is in Honk Kong, I assume that you are targeting in local visitors. 5-6MB/s is equal to 70-80 mbps, so, reaching a 100Mbps line. This kind of line is more than enough for 20 WP sites, except if you host a site that attracts several millions of visitors per month.

Thanks a lot for explanations, jvnadr! I was not sure in perfomance of this VPS. Now I see that I can use it.