Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Much interest in high ram low disk space servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Much interest in high ram low disk space servers?

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hi Folks,

Just a bit of a curious wonder, from what I can see very few people actually ever use much more than 3 - 4GB of space on their servers, even ones with 4+ GB Ram.

Is there much interest in a high ram low disk space offer, for example: KVM - 4 core, 5GB Disk disk, 4GB Ram, within LET price guidelines?

Or perhaps even KVM - 4 core, 10GB Disk, 8GB Ram, for around $14 p/month

For the record I am not offering this right now, just looking for feedback?

Cheers.

Ant.

Thanked by 1jureve

Comments

• Looks like a hell of a bargain for hosting a single high-traffic website.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

SSD RAID 10 and low disk space will be good.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Definitely interesting. I don't have a ton of ideas at this moment for what I'd personally do with that besides high traffic sites with a ton of caching.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • sinsin Member
    edited December 2016

I would be interested - I don't use a lot of disk space (I like to have 10 to 15GB available in case I need it but I usually use under 5GB)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Part of the reason I am asking is that I am at the stage of needing to get more hardware in and It just seems people use so little space in reality that I may go pure SSD and aim for higher ram lower storage plans and setup some slower storage to present as nfs/iscsi on request as an add on.

I am never going to be interested in being a high storage/data volume host, I have always gone for large raid 10 with 8 - 12 disk or 6 - 8 disk + ssd cache to make sure I can give a fair amount of storage but in reality it is rarely used.

• JorboxJorbox Member
    edited December 2016

No, except for 25/y

Thanked by 1Kupol
  • yes, do high ram, multiple cpu cores and low storage.

4GB ram KVM, 2-4 cpu cores and 10GB of premium pure SSD. go!

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    I am never going to be interested in being a high storage/data volume host, I have always gone for large raid 10 with 8 - 12 disk or 6 - 8 disk + ssd cache to make sure I can give a fair amount of storage but in reality it is rarely used.

Pure SSD with 10-50GB will win me over more often than 100GB+ of HDD or SSD-cached. Obviously depends on use case, but if I need more than say 60GB of storage I'm probably going for a storage box - or it's already on a dedi with SSDs. Lower ram KVM (1-3GB) will also generally win me over compared to like monster OVZ ram boxes.

I mostly steer clear of HDD/SSD-cached offers nowadays for general purpose stuff that needs a reasonable amount of ram or CPU. SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper and there's very little reason to take a risk on a LE-priced VPS with spinning disks. At least with SSDs there's a much higher chance I'm going to get some decent disk I/O, even on boxes that are loaded heavier.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Give 15-20GB of SSD and sell NAS mount HDD storage in 10/50GB increments (eg. servercow does 150GB flat out with all their 3 plans).

Hybrid storage FTW.

Of course I'm talking about KVM.

4gb KVM with 5gb disk is silly.

vimalware said: 4gb KVM with 5gb disk is silly.

You say that, but probably 80%+ use less than 5GB in my direct experience, I shared your sentiment for a long time that it was silly even with evidence to to contrary staring me in the face.

If I could keep costs down by offering 5GB base storage with the 'option' to take more if required, I think that may work.

• If I could keep costs down by offering 5GB base storage with the 'option' to take more if required, I think that may work.

Looks like cloud with endpoints.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited December 2016
    • KVM
    • 1 / 2 / 4 GB RAM
    • 2 / 4 Cores
    • 10 / 15 / 20 GB Disk

The sweet spot (for me) is: 1GB RAM, 2 Cores, 20GB Disk <= $3 USD/mo

I agree that often we don't need large disk, but once you get that amount of RAM, there are some interesting things you can do (that would push you above the 8GB Disk range) IMHO.

Thanked by 2vimalware ucxo
  • AnthonySmith said: You say that, but probably 80%+ use less than 5GB in my direct experience, I shared your sentiment for a long time that it was silly even with evidence to to contrary staring me in the face.

I think those same people would like to think they've bought 15-20gb so sell them that i.e. oversell.

• @AnthonySmith said:

You say that, but probably 80%+ use less than 5GB in my direct experience

If I could keep costs down by offering 5GB base storage with the 'option' to take more if required, I think that may work.

A 5GB RAID-ssd '/' partition is fine, I suppose for a 1GB ram vm.

I mean you gotta have something on disk worth page-caching in that RAM (for the 4GB case).

You'd need an user interface to order and provision additional volumes.

At that point, you're looking at moving off Solus onto a openstack/cloudstack like true cloud system.

Pricing per GB-ssd-month would need to be higher because of the elastic nature of the allocation. (unless you only sell in predefined multiples of GBs)

As an aside, your Cybermonday 2GB kvm hit the sweet spot on several of my vps buying checklist points.

Generous shared quad-cores for starters.

Currently, 2GB is the sweet spot for several interesting projects like Sandstorm, Gitlab.

These wouldn't be anywhere as useful for personal data storage with an anemic disk allocation like 5-10GB. I'm happy with ssd-cached disk there.

• I run a very heavy JIRA instance that takes up about 2.5GB of our 6GB. It only used 1.5 when we started using it. As we added addons and several other components, the usage ran up. Before we only had our tech team using it.. now we have marketing, hr and several other groups. We also use Service Desk which takes up a good amount of ram when used regularly.

Been using Hudson Valley Host VPS and it has been nothing spectacular. Amazing company for hosting!

• Personally I find services with with between 10-150GB of disk space useless. 10 is enough for a basic site and user data. 150 is the lowest I'd ever buy for a storage box. It makes no sense either to have 4GB of RAM for a backup server that need 128MB

vimalware said: You'd need an user interface to order and provision additional volumes.

At that point, you're looking at moving off Solus onto a openstack/cloudstack like true cloud system.

SolusVM supports ordering additional disk space fine for pre defined 'chunks' which is what I would be offering.

That is if I was going pure SSD single VG for example.

OpticalSwoosh said: Personally I find services with with between 10-150GB of disk space useless.

Not only is it pointless in most cases (so it seems anyway) but when there is an issue (every server has issues at some point), then dealing with 8, 10 or 12TB volumes is a nightmare time wise on gbit.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Yes, very much, high ram with 10-15GB SSD, is best for me personally. But not OpenVZ though....

• How about low RAM, low disk, high BW, and dedicated core/thread..

brian777 said: How about low RAM, low disk, high BW, and dedicated core/thread..

Already offer that through LHC and LES.

• 8 GB KVM + 25 GB Storage + 2 TB Bandwidth for under $25/mo I'd snap up in a heartbeat

GCat said: 8 GB KVM + 25 GB Storage + 2 TB Bandwidth for under $25/mo I'd snap up in a heartbeat

I offered 8 Core + 8GB + 4TB + 4 IP's +170GB disk for €22.50/mo for years :) it was just never posted here due to the $7 limit.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • High RAM is great for caching. Also could be great for hosting slave databases - but that one depends on the CPU usage limit. It's usually hard to predict CPU usage, so if there's a 'pass this and we kick you' it's a risk, while if it's 'pass this and we throttle you' it's much safer investment of time.

Thanked by 2vimalware Harambe
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Sorry to jack your thread, but I have been offering low diskspace (High performance) vm's within LET guidelines for a while. Biggest comment I get is why such little disk?

Thanked by 1vimalware

@AnthonySmith said:

GCat said: 8 GB KVM + 25 GB Storage + 2 TB Bandwidth for under $25/mo I'd snap up in a heartbeat

I offered 8 Core + 8GB + 4TB + 4 IP's +170GB disk for €22.50/mo for years :) it was just never posted here due to the $7 limit.

I see this a lot, people asking/looking for a specific thing and because LET guidleing we cant post the full range of awesome products. There should be a section for providers to list their complete range with no edit limit or a way to have old posts removed and post a new one once a month or somthing.

Sir @jarland?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@pbgben said:

@AnthonySmith said:

I see this a lot, people asking/looking for a specific thing and because LET guidleing we cant post the full range of awesome products. There should be a section for providers to list their complete range with no edit limit or a way to have old posts removed and post a new one once a month or somthing.

Sir @jarland?

Then this place will send up like WHT. It goes against the initial rules of the community. While there are lots of providers here and they partake in the community doing what you suggest would open it up for a free for all.

@trewq said:

@pbgben said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Sir @jarland?

Then this place will send up like WHT. It goes against the initial rules of the community. While there are lots of providers here and they partake in the community doing what you suggest would open it up for a free for all.

Wash your mouth out boi, no speak of the evil here.

• pbgben said: I see this a lot, people asking/looking for a specific thing and because LET guidleing we cant post the full range of awesome products.

If you see someone looking for something specific, it's fine to offer a plan that meets those requirements, regardless of price. Pricing rules apply to your offer threads only.

Thanked by 2deadbeef trewq
  • Yes

• @AnthonySmith said:

You say that, but probably 80%+ use less than 5GB in my direct experience, I shared your sentiment for a long time that it was silly even with evidence to to contrary staring me in the face.

That's what I would love <3

I hate seeing those offers with 1GB RAM and like 2GB disk (VirMach..) because I always fear that I'l run out at some point.