Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone can suggest me a monitoring tool for debian?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone can suggest me a monitoring tool for debian?

windytime90windytime90 Member
edited December 2016 in Help

Hi,

I have several servers and I need to monitor them regularly. Could you please suggest me some light weight monitoring tools for debian? I need to monitor the following information:

• Online/offline status (simple ping may be OK)

• Load

• Ram usage

• Network usage if possible (low priority).

It would be very good if there's a web base control panel/anything-panel so I can view the status anywhere.

Update: I forgot to mention that it would be better if I can manage all of my servers centrally on a single web page. The monitoring tool should not be rich-feature because I need it as light as possible

Thanks!

Comments

• busbrbusbr Member
    edited December 2016

Self hosted or SaaS? If self-hosted Zabbix sounds like something that you might like. You can also configure Triggers to notify you. Also got a fancy WebUI.

Another self-hosted monitoring solution would be netdata, which I haven't personally tried.

If you want external, there's NodeQuery and NixStats that might fit your needs.

Thanked by 2Yura windytime90
  • @busbr said:
    Self hosted or SaaS? If self-hosted Zabbix sounds like something that you might like. You can also configure Triggers to notify you. Also got a fancy WebUI.

Another self-hosted monitoring solution would be netdata, which I haven't personally tried.

Thank you. My server is self-hosted. However, I have several servers, so can Zabbix monitor all of them centrally?

• @windytime90 said:

@busbr said:

Thank you. My server is self-hosted. However, I have several servers, so can Zabbix monitor all of them centrally?

Yeah, take a look at its concepts.
    You manage everything in a Server, and you install Agents to machines of concern.

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • I use runcloud.io... to manage everything. I currently do not pay $10 for month for the freemium model as the free version meets my needs, but plan to start doing so soon!

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • @busbr said:

Just curious, are you using Zabbix on CentOS server of Debian?
    I am going to setup a monitoring node soon with Zabbix (Or probably LibreNMS), cant decide on OS :)

• @Umair said:

@busbr said:

Just curious, are you using Zabbix on CentOS server of Debian?
    I am going to setup a monitoring node soon with Zabbix (Or probably LibreNMS), cant decide on OS :)

Server is on CentOS, agents vary. I've also done server setup on Debian. Shouldn't matter that much since Zabbix provides the package repository, so everything should be smooth.

Thanked by 2Umair windytime90
  • +1 for Zabbix

• nulldevnulldev Member
    edited December 2016

What's wrong with netdata? It uses <20 mb of RAM on my servers and can monitor everything in one place if you create your own dashboard. And you look like a pro using it.

Here's my dashboard: Imgur

• Hi guys,

htop
    nmon
    vmstat
    iptraf
    Observium:
    http://www.observium.org/docs/install_debian/

• What about nagios?

My suggestion might be overkill but it is nice for multiple systems.

Thanked by 1alown
  • if hosting on the system itself is an option, netdata is really awesome looking and small on ressources...
    but I'd recommend monitorix for this, much more old fashioned rrd but I prefer it over netdata for really working with the selected data.

• UmairUmair Member
    edited December 2016

I tried Zabbix the other day. Its kinda confusing for 1st time user..
    Still giving it a shot. But looks like its going to be a steep learning curve.

In the mean time, I might as well setup LibreNMS ..
    Also considering going for paid mmonit.

• Everything you want (+ more) can be done on New Relic's free plan. The send you an email if the server stops responding, but if you want a ping test you can user UptimeRobot or StatusCake alongside.

• Well, thank you for a lot of suggestions. I am trying Zabbix and it's a little bit confusing for the first time, I swear. But after some days, I think it's good. I'll try netdata one day. Thanks.