Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

get.tech - anyone used this before?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

get.tech - anyone used this before?

Has anyone registered .tech domains through get.tech? There is a deal - $40 for 10 years .tech domain. Sounds good (since yearly fees are around $20 for the .tech domain). Not sure if the company would fold in a year.

Comments

• Just shitty TLD. And expensive.

Thanked by 1Jorbox
  • You may be right, but probably worth for personal projects. Any other TLDs would cost more for a 10 year period.

• If you are OK with shitty domains, you can get one for free from eu.org. Paying $40 up-front to an unknown company doesn't make sense to me.

• fxffxf Member
    edited November 2016

You can trust get.tech. The operator is actually the .tech registry (radix, directi, they use a lot of different names for different products on the web).

@ramesh_vish said:
    You may be right, but probably worth for personal projects. Any other TLDs would cost more for a 10 year period.

It being "worth it" depends entirely on how important the TLD is to your project and the size of the e-ego needing stroking. A wordpress blog, free .tk, subdomain from freedns.afraid.org, or a subdomain at a domain you already own has never been shown to be one's cause of death, so what purpose is another domain serving?

Besides, there are some TLDs cheaper than that $40/10yr .tech offer you're talking about. You can pick up justrealstraightguys.download for $7.60/10yr at alpnames.com, as well as a handful of other top-level cancer domains.

• abytecuriousabytecurious Member
    edited November 2016

bugrakoc said: Paying $40 up-front to an unknown company doesn't make sense to me.

True. Which is the reason I want to check if someone in the community has dealt with them before.

fxf said: It being "worth it" depends entirely on how important the TLD is to your project and the size of the e-ego needing stroking.

Agree. There is some e-ego here, that thinks that a .tech domain is kinda cool. Thanks for the alpnames heads-up, there are some neat TLDs that cost 7.60 for a ten year registration. (Will probably pick a couple for other ideas that I plan to work on)

• fxffxf Member
    edited November 2016

@ramesh_vish said:

bugrakoc said: Paying $40 up-front to an unknown company doesn't make sense to me.

True. Which is the reason I want to check if someone in the community has dealt with them before.

I haven't, but get.tech is run by the .tech registry (Radix Registry) so you can definitely trust them.

• I don't like and avoid as much as possible Radix/Directi. Go with Famous Four Media (cheaper), Uniregistrar (great) or Donuts (a bit more expensive) instead.
    With the right promotion, you can get a domain for 10 years for $9 or so.