Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Lightsail
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Lightsail

If you haven't already heard, it appears as if Amazon has launched a VPS hosting service:

https://amazonlightsail.com/

Any thoughts?

Thanked by 1mehargags

Comments

• My thoughts? I got an Atom for $5/month the other day.

• Did see yet, but if it's Amazon I fully expect it to be: rock solid, expensive, complicated and with great API.

Thanked by 1popuorg
  • @Yura said:
    Did see yet, but if it's Amazon I fully expect it to be: rock solid, expensive, complicated and with great API.

And possibly with poor DDoS protection.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited November 2016

Only supports Ubuntu OS at the moment.. and you can only deploy in the US

• Wow, DO and Vultr now just smokes outside.. Google cloud upcoming..

• YuraYura Member
    edited November 2016

@Nekki said:

@Yura said:
    Did see yet, but if it's Amazon I fully expect it to be: rock solid, expensive, complicated and with great API.

And possibly with poor DDoS protection.

Yes. And then they come up with Amazon MudShelter which provides some sort of DDoS protection by doing ping pong redirect over reverse moon orbit, costs 99$ per 1gbps and requires a full time nuclear biologist to maintain it. And every startup will love it. Sweet.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Wow, this is potentially very interesting. It's essentially DO/Vultr at the same price, plus all of the AWS features/integration (if I'm reading this correctly). And it's with a famous provider. I guess if one of the big public clouds was going to try the mid-market pricing model, I'm not surprised it's Amazon.

Limited deployment to start but if it takes off, I imagine Amazon can spin it up in all their DCs easily.

Very interesting. More competition = win.

I am very tired of the $5/512MB price point. Can't we just move on to $5/1024MB?

• jhjh Member

Very cool! For a lot of people, it's not just about "OMG the cloud!!!!" but that there's a well managed and stable company behind this.

• It's only available in US East. It seems Amazon want all the money under “Let’s make American great again” project. ROFL

• CrogicCrogic Member
    edited November 2016

No IPV6 and $0.09/GB additional bandwidth (DO $0.02).

Edit: Pff 2 cores for $80.00.

• Just found they offer also free DNS hosting, interesting..

Netxons said: It's only available in US East. It seems Amazon want all the money under “Let’s make American great again” project. ROFL

WTF dude...it's a pilot. I suppose Vultr is the same since their block storage pilot is only in New Jersey.

Hoo. Such jingoism. What bastards.

Thanked by 1lbft

Crogic said: No IPV6 and $0.09/GB additional bandwidth (DO $0.02).

True but at least it's after a reasonable allotment unlike AWS EC2.

Crogic said: Edit: Pff 2 cores for $80.00.

I think you mean $40: https://amazonlightsail.com/pricing/

But yeah, not going to two cpu at $40 instead of $20 like DO/Vultr is kind of lame...

...though also diabolically brilliant. A lot of people who'll be attracted to this are people who have AWS dev instances alongside their production. If they can drop down to a cheaper monthly and still interact with the AWS API, they may not care about CPU power.

• EC2 is already relatively simple. The main difference with LightSail seems to be the included bandwidth, since bandwidth on EC2 is expensive.

• BasilBasil Member
    edited November 2016

Here's a benchmark, if anyone is interested.
    http://pastebin.com/1pweq1vH

The disk is slow for what is advertised as "ssd" (65MB/sec compared with DO's 200MB/sec)

It seems to have a VNC console, which isn't available on EC2

Thanked by 2yowmamasita varwww
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited November 2016

Data transfer OUT from a Lightsail instance to another Lightsail instance or AWS resource is also free while the private IP address of the instance is used

I came. This (plus the 1TB free traffic per instance) makes the whole of AWS actually cheap to use.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • If I can use AWS Credits for this, I will be thrilled.

• BasilBasil Member
    edited November 2016

@HackedServer said:
    If I can use AWS Credits for this, I will be thrilled.

It seems you can ( I am )

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited November 2016

@raindog308 said:
    I am very tired of the $5/512MB price point. Can't we just move on to $5/1024MB?

What about an 8GB VPS and I'll pay you instead of you paying for it? :P that is where providers should be heading to.

• @jenkki said:
    Just found they offer also free DNS hosting, interesting..

Who? Amazon? Naw. DO? Yaw. Vultr? I dunnaw.

• @WalrusBug said:

@HackedServer said:

It seems you can ( I am )

Have you been billed and had it remove from your AWS Credits? I spot-checked a few of the credits' usable services list and I didn't see lightsail there. It would make sense for it to be included, and maybe not retroactively updated.

• Wait a second, the VNC console has a resemblance to that of the Guacamole project's
    https://basilfillan.uk/screenshot18:51.png
    ( Guacamole left, Amazon "Lightsail" right )

• @WalrusBug said:
    Wait a second, the VNC console has a resemblance to that of the Guacamole project's

And?

• @Nekki said:
    My thoughts? I got an Atom for $5/month the other day.

Exactly my thoughts. XD

• @deadbeef said:

@WalrusBug said:
    Wait a second, the VNC console has a resemblance to that of the Guacamole project's

And?

They might use it for Amazon Workspaces, which would be useful

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited November 2016

raindog308 said: Wow, this is potentially very interesting. It's essentially DO/Vultr at the same price, plus all of the AWS features/integration (if I'm reading this correctly).

Yeah, that's exactly what it is right down to the application templates and a nice dashboard interface (there's something I never expected to say about AWS).

I would not want to be DO or Linode right now. Lightsail might not even be a better product technically but Amazon has a serious brand advantage, especially with non-techie business decision makers.

• Well, just cancelled all my OVH nodes for websites (except 2 reverse proxies) and moving over to Lightsail as it's cheaper to run and reliable

• @HackedServer said:

This is interesting.
    So I am guessing one AWS will be used here?? (i.e. if you already have aws, you can order this lil guys as well? )

• iKeyZ said: and you can only deploy in the US

us-east-1 only to be exact.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ