Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resellers of non-PayPal accepting and ID-scan demanding providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Resellers of non-PayPal accepting and ID-scan demanding providers

Who provides reasonable (i.e. very modest mark up and current offerings) resale for some of the providers that do not accept PayPal (e.g. online.net/scaleway) and/or those that demand scans of government issued id (e.g. Hetzner, Ikoula)?

Comments

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

I'm a bit confused - do you mean that you're looking for a reseller of a provider that does not accept paypal/require scanned IDs?

• This just spells malicious intent all over it.

• Hostloc?

• @Virpus said:
    I'm a bit confused - do you mean that you're looking for a reseller of a provider that does not accept paypal/require scanned IDs?

To state it another way... The reseller should accept a confirmed PayPal and they should not require scanned IDs to purchase. The vast majority of all hosting providers operate this way, but there is a very small handful, such as Hetzner, online.net and Ikoula that don't support PayPal and/or want you to email them a copy of a scanned government document. So presumably the reseller takes a small cut to offset the slightly higher risk (e.g. cost of potential PayPal disputes).

• Fraud ? FRAUD.

• @dotted said:
    Fraud ? FRAUD.

No. Serious question from a serious customer. I believe OneProvider essentially does this in scale with their pretty decent OnePanel interface. Although I don't think they make any explicit mention of specific providers they resell. I'm interested in anyone else who is a serious reseller for those types of providers I'd rather not do business with directly.

• So because you are serious customer providers should not ask for documents?

• If a moderator can close this thread, I've gotten the answers I needed elsewhere. Nothing productive happening here. Thank you.

• By asking for that, in case of dispute they have the proof of your order, this way after 2/3 months when you decided to make a bank chargeback, they would still have a proof of your documents and this way they won't lose the money for the months on which you have used your services, I had one fellow from HU, which made a chargeback after 6 months, and yes he used the services every month, and yes i lost the money because PayPal decided to offer him the money back.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

@GCat said:
    This just spells malicious intent all over it.

@dotted said:
    Fraud ? FRAUD.

@WHT said:
    So because you are serious customer providers should not ask for documents?

You should be aware that a scan of government ID is, in some countries, extremely useful for identity fraud, and that it's generally illegal for companies to ask for a full scan. Not all hosting providers accept censored scans either (even though they should).

I see nothing inherently unreasonable about OP's request, although it would certainly be valid to ask why the OP needs this.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Take a print out of your ID and write a note on your document like "For Web Hosting: Provider Name, Date DD/MM/YY"

Many of provider will not ask you to provide ID proof specially If you did not use VPN/Tor/Hosting IP and use correct details.

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    Take a print out of your ID and write a note on your document like "For Web Hosting: Provider Name, Date DD/MM/YY"

That's reasonable, but some don't accept it - which is weird considering that betting sides do (which have ton lot more liability) :D

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@DewlanceVPS said:

Many of provider will not ask you to provide ID proof specially If you did not use VPN/Tor/Hosting IP and use correct details.

That's good advice, but you'll also want to make sure that the print covers your photo partially, and that you black out your country's equivalent of your SSN as well as the document number (plus the encoded number on the back, if there is one, as it contains the above information).

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2016

jtk said: So presumably the reseller takes a small cut to offset the slightly higher risk (e.g. cost of potential PayPal disputes).

Try Ebay hosting sellers, as some of them don't care about your IDs and in return you should not care about hosting service as it can disappear within short amount of time.

• I don't mind providing ID's to government entity, but host companies. hell no. I think it's illegal for hosting companies to ask for an ID, they can verify the identity of buyers various ways, e.g- phone calls, credit check etc.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2016

jtk said: or those that demand scans of government issued id (e.g. Hetzner, Ikoula)?

Hetzner never demanded an ID from me, or company documents. We spend a LOT of money with them.

joepie91 said: generally illegal for companies to ask for a full scan

No, most EU countries do not have this. NL seemingly does, but HR/SI for example have zero such restrictions.

joepie91 said: even though they should

Their decision what they accept, not yours - go to another provider then.

durjoy said: I think it's illegal for hosting companies to ask for an ID

It is not in most countries.

durjoy said: they can verify the identity of buyers various ways, e.g- phone calls, credit check etc.

All this verifies far less than possession of ID + CC at far higher cost and work needed.

Sim cards are anonymous in most of EU as example, few EUR (i have like 50 just at home, drug dealers generally are busted around here with hundreds of cards) - Credit check is expensive and in some countries not even possible.

• Pay Using Verified PayPal Account
    Provide Valid Information During Sign up, make sure it matches your PayPal Account
    Try to use same email during sign up that matches your PayPal account
    Don't use any kind of proxy/vpn

If above conditions are met, most providers won't ask for any kind of documents or verification