Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shoutcast VPS spec
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shoutcast VPS spec

LeeLee Veteran
edited April 2013 in Help

I need to setup a vps to stream audio for a website that can be picked up on the likes of winamp, never done this before so I am assuming shoutcast will do the trick which I will figure out, however I also want to host all the audio files on the VPS in a couple of random playlists, easy enough?

What sort of spec will carry this off smoothly?

There are about 2gb of audio files, all ligit, they are 1910-1950 recordings related to world wars. I am going to make a guess that If I was to see more than a dozen listeners at any time and for any longer than maybe 30-60 minutes at a time I would be very surprised!

Comments

• Cool project. I love Old Time radio.

32k stream will suffice based on audio quality from back then.

That's around 40 listeners per 1Mbps.

Aside from that, a low end box should suffice. 128MB is overkill, but probably good enough.

• I used to host shoutcast for a online game fansite. In my experience RAM is pretty minimal (1GB will be more than enough for one radio with 15 listeners) the most important thing is your network. You need to choose a speedy system that's as close as possible to your target audience or people will get annoyed with constant buffering.

• LeeLee Veteran

@pubcrawler - correct, OTR is indeed the purpose.

@rzlosty - Target audience is not really specific given the nature of the audio, it's got a fairly global reach so the EU would seem the more balanced choice.

• Real minimal use on anything other than bandwidth for this. Shoutcast and Icecast are low resources. Especially where encoded right (no reencoding on fly needed) and where files are being played from local storage.

Interested in checking these out when you get it up and going. :)

• if you wanna make it manually you just need 128mb RAM, install the shoutcast and shoutcast trans posix.
    if you wanna easy to manage maybe you'll need more than 1Gb ram, to install cpanel and plugin whmsonic.