Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

crucial ssd?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

crucial ssd?

support123support123 Member
    edited April 2013 in General

Anyone using crucial ssd in production server?

I am not Rick

Comments

• I wouldn't use them in a laptop, not to mention a server.

-

• Liquidweb use them in mixture like Intel or crucial

I am not Rick

• Never used them in either, but I've used a OCZ Agility III one for home machines, and used 840 Pros and 830s for production.

Security Consultant

• I've got a couple of Crucial m4's in my machine at home and I can't really fault them.

In our VPS nodes, we run Intel 520 series in RAID 10. I wouldn't trust the Crucial in a VPS node.

Greg Bennett, Product Manager - PoundHost / CheapVPS

email: [email protected] | skype: greg_bennett | LinkedIn

• AndreAndre Member

I thought the main reason most don't use Crucial SSD's because they have a lower write rate in comparison to the equivalent (cost) Intel's

Do not click this link.
    • @CheapVPS

Intel 520's performing ok for you? After the 320 Series fuck up where it had that small firmware issue, I'm scared to go near them.

Security Consultant

• @eastonch

Yes they're top notch. In the VPS nodes I only use the 240GBs in hardware RAID 10. In the dedicated boxes we have 240GBs, 120GBs and the 60GBs and I can't say we've had any complaints at all. Five year warranty is nice too.

• Crucial / Micron are huge. So why not? Crucial have a joint venture with Intel that makes some of the best NANDs. They are usually cheaper so lower performance is expected.

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • eastoncheastonch Member
      edited April 2013

@CheapVPS That is very nice.

We're playing around with physical node costs, but the SSD's are being the biggest jump, I guess you can't get good quality, cheap.

@Concerto49 Crucial, the guy who make the RAM sticks, right? Like Crucial Ballistix?

Security Consultant

• @eastonch

Cheers - if you are after any UK based servers with the Intel SSDs, we've got loads of stock and I can sort you out a deal. Just give me a shout.

• @CheapVPS I'll PM you, one sec.

Security Consultant

• @eastonch said: @Concerto49 Crucial, the guy who make the RAM sticks, right? Like Crucial Ballistix?

Yes, they are one of the remaining memory makers too. Samsung, Crucial and Hynix.

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • @rds100 said: I wouldn't use them in a laptop

Why not?

Since I've put a M4 in my ancient macbook, it is like a new machine.

• eastoncheastonch Member
      edited April 2013

@CONCERTO49

What about Kingston?

Security Consultant

• @eastonch said: What about Kingston?

Kingston just repackages like the other players. Same as GSkill, Corsair etc.

• JacobJacob Member

intel 520s have 5 years warranty?

Grrrr! Samsung has 3 years..

AboveClouds • UK Company • UK Datacentre • UK Customer Support

High Performance Pure SSD Cloud Hosting with a personal touch

• @Jacob

Yeh, I don't think anyone else does 5 years but I haven't looked properly tbh.

• I heard some problems with samsung 840 with raid in ramnode.Anyone have idea what is that?

I am not Rick

• support123support123 Member
      edited April 2013

deleted

I am not Rick

• @Jacob said: ntel 520s have 5 years warranty?

Grrrr! Samsung has 3 years..

It has 5 years warranty, but if you write more than X TB, the warranty is not valid.

-

• marcmmarcm Member
      edited April 2013

@ftpit - Crucial is basically Micron which has a joint venture with Intel. They make the bulk of all the SSD NAND that they use in their own drives, as well as their competitors. So yes, they are really good.