Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many tor relays currently do you have?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many tor relays currently do you have?

Just interesting to know how many tor relays currently do you have?

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Thanked by 1mrdarki
  • I used to have 5+ until they were all banned for paranoia reasons and I had an argument on their IRC about it then ever since I never contributed.

• Any other projects where can I donate bw, running some sort of relay/agent.

• Domin43 said: all banned for paranoia reasons

What would those reasons be? Is owning multiple relays prohibited?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

You should first ask your provider if he allows it or not. I, for example, kick TOR users out.

Thanked by 1quadhost
  • @bugrakoc said:

Domin43 said: all banned for paranoia reasons

What would those reasons be? Is owning multiple relays prohibited?

If you try to introduce several high BW relays at once it causes suspicion and they may just ban them and tell me to get on IRC. The end result was they prefer just 1 high BW relay and to introduce others on a monthly basis.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Half (or more!) the exit nodes are run by govts. and someone's real interested in finding out who runs the other half. Tor is broken by design; please don't use it.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Have no interest in helping the governments get data to their exit nodes.

• Never

• I think most people here are more interested in business tools than anonymity tools.

• I personally run 3 here at https://torworld.org/ Odin, Freya & Tyr. Check out TorWorld if you're interested in Tor! And join us on Slack :) http://slack.torworld.org

• @mailcheap said:
    Half (or more!) the exit nodes are run by govts. and someone's real interested in finding out who runs the other half. Tor is broken by design; please don't use it.

Your claims are completely baseless. Tor is made up for the most part by people who donate their bandwidth to the network like me. Tor is not "broken by design".. As long as good people run relays/exits it's safe.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • 25 exits, 4 bridges, 1 server acting as a HS to host 24 different websites on

Lunar said: As long as good people run relays/exits it's safe

As long as you know which ones are good people. Best of luck :)

• @jarland said:

I'd assume most of them are safe. I don't really think it's much of a risk.

• @Lunar said:

@jarland said:

And I'd assume trump won't mess up America, we could be horrifically wrong

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited November 2016

@Lunar said:

@jarland said:

So basically you just woke one day and decided "it's safe". Congratulations, you are well-qualified for McDonalds.

• We operate 8 decent size Exit nodes, and 7 Relays.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul vimalware
  • @deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:

@jarland said:

So basically you just woke one day and decided "it's safe". Congratulations, you are well-qualified for McDonalds.

Is there evidence that the majority of them are unsafe? No. Therefore I assume the majority of them are safe. Plus that's why Tor has multiple layers so one bad relay/exit can't expose your identity.

• @Lunar said:

@deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:

@jarland said:

Is there evidence that the majority of them are unsafe? No. Therefore I assume the majority of them are safe.

Any specific reason why the exact opposite argument doesn't carry the exact same weight? And by specific, I mean different than "I just woke up one day and decided it's safe".

Plus that's why Tor has multiple layers so one bad relay/exit can't expose your identity.

Multiple? The choice of your words implies you don't know even realize that there exist exactly 3 hops in any given Tor circuit.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog Hxxx
  • @deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:

@deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:

@jarland said:

Is there evidence that the majority of them are unsafe? No. Therefore I assume the majority of them are safe.

Any specific reason why the exact opposite argument doesn't carry the exact same weight? And by specific, I mean different than "I just woke up one day and decided it's safe".

Plus that's why Tor has multiple layers so one bad relay/exit can't expose your identity.

Multiple? The choice of your words implies you don't know even realize that there exist exactly 3 hops in any given Tor circuit.

Why do you even attack me? Saying I'm qualified for McDonalds... I didn't just wake up and decide it's safe. I've decided it's safe because it IS safe and has been proven to be. The only true attack vectors are through the TBB (Firefox). Tor itself is safe. Yes I know there is 3 hops... I'm just using Tor's own wording because Tor's mascot is an onion.. Which has multiple layers.. Do I really need to explain myself?

Thanked by 1rm_
    edited November 2016

Lunar said: I didn't just wake up and decide it's safe. I've decided it's safe because it IS safe and has been proven to be.

Which is exactly why you can expect it to not be later. I'm proposing that "later" is actually right about now. Governments hate safe, and you know it. Tell me what barriers exist between the same person being in charge of both your relays and exit nodes? You're 100% certain that someone could not manage each of those points and compromise your safety? How do you truly know who is who among them?

The whole point of TOR is to be safe, not just as a fun toy to claim anonymity. If you must use TOR, your safety is probably in question. Otherwise you'd be what I would call a security hipster... just using the next cool thing to stick it to the man. Anyone with real security concerns would probably be moving away from TOR right now precisely for the reason that intelligence agencies will be and are highly interested in compromising it.

TOR is only safe if you can truly trust the relays and exit nodes you go through. I just don't think that's a variable you can calculate unless you guarantee that you are the one in control of those points.

Thanked by 1dedicados
    edited November 2016

@Lunar said:
    Why do you even attack me? Saying I'm qualified for McDonalds... I didn't just wake up and decide it's safe. I've decided it's safe because it IS safe and has been proven to be. The only true attack vectors are through the TBB (Firefox). Tor itself is safe. Yes I know there is 3 hops... I'm just using Tor's own wording because Tor's mascot is an onion.. Which has multiple layers.. Do I really need to explain myself?

You do realize that you again just said "it's safe because I woke up one morning and decided so", right?

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • @deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:

You do realize that you again just said "it's safe because I woke up one morning and decided so", right?

You're not even attempting to counter my argument that in practice IT IS safe. If you use Tor properly and aren't stupid, it's going to work as intended. Now if you're not going to give me facts I'm just going to leave this argument. You're wasting my time.

Thanked by 3beardlyness rm_ Hxxx
  • edited November 2016

@Kupol said:
    Any other projects where can I donate bw, running some sort of relay/agent.

Resources?

I run none of those. Does anyone know i2p?

edited November 2016

@Lunar said:

@deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:

You're not even attempting to counter my argument that in practice IT IS safe. If you use Tor properly and aren't stupid, it's going to work as intended. Now if you're not going to give me facts I'm just going to leave this argument. You're wasting my time.

You have made no argument. You have only made statements. I assume you have graduated from kindergarten and therefore you should have been aware of the difference.

Surely you don't count "I woke up one day and decided it's safe" as an argument.It follows then that there exists nothing to counter. To put it mildly, we are still at the step where I am simply mocking your statements.

This discussion has been closed.