Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hackintosh
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hackintosh

GCatGCat Member
edited November 2016 in Help

Hey all,

So, I need a bit of assistance getting Hackintosh successfully running in Virtualbox. I've tried about 3 different tut's now, and my old experience, but I've failed to get El Capitan installed in Virtualbox.

Host OS:

Windows 8.1 Latest

8 GB Ram

HP Pavilion

AMD A10-5745AM APU w/ Radeon HD Graphics 2.10 GHz x64

VT-X enabled

Issues:

Every time I start up the guest OS, configured properly, I get a Guru Meditation error.

Any ideas?

When setting chipset from Piix3 -> ICH9, on ICH9 I just get a black screen, PIIX3 I get guru meditation

Comments

• It's easier to just use an image of an existing hackintosh. They're available everywhere

• @doghouch said:
    It's easier to just use an image of an existing hackintosh. They're available everywhere

Shoot me a link? ;)

• You don't need one just yet. The error comes when the machine is 32 bit, instead of 64

• @doghouch said:
    You don't need one just yet. The error comes when the machine is 32 bit, instead of 64

In 32bit I'm getting the UEFI Interactive Shell v2.1 (UEFI v2.40)

• tmwctmwc Member
    edited November 2016

https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install-mac-os-x-el-capitan-on-pc-on-virtualbox/ maybe?

edit: also google "el capitan virtualbox image"

• Tutorial I followed when I gave up, downloaded the image as linked there, this is the VM I'm having errors on

• @GCat said:

@doghouch said:
    You don't need one just yet. The error comes when the machine is 32 bit, instead of 64

In 32bit I'm getting the UEFI Interactive Shell v2.1 (UEFI v2.40)

So in 64 bit, it says guru mediation?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2016

GCat said: So, I need a bit of assistance getting Hackintosh successfully running in Virtualbox

Don't. This is bound to fail; even if you get it to run you never get 3D support which makes OSX absolutely useless.

GCat said: AMD A10-5745AM APU w/ Radeon HD Graphics 2.10 GHz x64

NO.

Hackintosh BARELY has any AMD support; just having VTd/VTx IS NOT enough (you actually disable that on Intel as it causes issues when running native often) - AMDs x86_64 is NOT the Intel implementation and Apple uses Intel specific extensions.

For AMD you need custom kernels which are not stable (for 10.11-) or not available (Sierra).

• @William said:

GCat said: So, I need a bit of assistance getting Hackintosh successfully running in Virtualbox

Don't. This is bound to fail; even if you get it to run you never get 3D support which makes OSX absolutely useless.

NO.

Hackintosh BARELY has any AMD support; just having VTd/VTx IS NOT enough (you actually disable that on Intel as it causes issues when running native often) - AMDs x86_64 is NOT the Intel implementation and Apple uses Intel specific extensions.

For AMD you need custom kernels which are not stable (for 10.11-) or not available (Sierra).

Figured that, I can get Yosemite to run but Guru meditation ultimately, it's annoying as hell. I'm just too lazy to spend the $300 to get an used mac to setup 3 things for a client's project. Any ideas for getting around having to fork out $ for one?

• edited November 2016

@GCat said:

@William said:

NO.

Figured that, I can get Yosemite to run but Guru meditation ultimately, it's annoying as hell. I'm just too lazy to spend the $300 to get an used mac to setup 3 things for a client's project. Any ideas for getting around having to fork out $ for one?

Any KVM or VMWare servers - Hackintosh runs fine on both virtualization methods as long as the CPU is Intel. VMware Player seems to be fine as well, I recall using that to generate my USB Installer

Edit: Fixed typo, said AMD instead of Intel

Thanked by 1GCat
  • Will probably end up spending the $300-$500 on a mac if I can't get a solution by Monday

• ALinuxNinja said: Any KVM or VMWare servers - Hackintosh runs fine on both virtualization methods as long as the CPU is Intel. VMware Player seems to be fine as well, I recall using that to generate my USB Installer

Runs, yes, useless - also. Again: No 3D in any way. OSX NEEDS 3D to even look properly.

GCat said: Will probably end up spending the $300-$500 on a mac if I can't get a solution by Monday

Spend 50$ on a ?170 (Skylake/Kaby lake) board, 30$ on a CPU (Celeron is fine), 40$ for 8GB RAM and 100$ on a nice GPU - cheaper and works good.

If you have an older Gigabyte board there is very high chance it will run OSX natively as well.

Else, for a real Mac, look for a used Mac Mini but get one with Thunderbolt for upgrades (as TB is PCIe you can even connect an external GPU, making this thing actually not THAT bad compared to similar systems of the time).

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Weren't there companies that spun up Mac VMs you could pay to use? It was like $10-$20/month for a Mac VM if I remember.

• Pwner said: Weren't there companies that spun up Mac VMs you could pay to use? It was like $10-$20/month for a Mac VM if I remember.

VMWare on OSX has a license that in theory allows you to sell OSX VMs and Apple can't do too much against it (the OS is free and US law is rather clear on usage if not manipulated, also commercial in some ways).

Managing is a nightmare though, selling Mac Minis and Mac Pros seems more common - i can recommend this guys:

https://macminicolo.net/

Also have EU location (Ireland), pricing is pretty ok (Mini starts at 59-69$ which for an i5 with 8GB RAM and a TB HDD is not TOO bad in Vegas/Atlanta and 69€ is cheap for Ireland).

Generally a Mac Pro tower fits in 5U so colo might be easier for that in some places, it costs about the same to buy as Mac Mini and the ceiling limit on the 2013+ (4,1-5,1) are 1-2 X5690 and 64-128GB RAM. Never buy a 5,1 - Buy a 4,1 and flash it, then upgrade the CPU to ?56??.

Xserve are worthless piece of shit, the latest gen (3,1) is essentially a Mac Pro 4,1 and does not run any 5,1 (?56??) CPUs at all plus the HDD things are VERY Apple custom as is the PCIe slot. The internal GPU has no support anymore either in OSX....

• UnmeteredNATUnmeteredNAT Member
    edited December 2016

Your issue arises due to the AMD CPU which OS X doesn't like. I'm surprised that nobody's stressing to you that it is /possible/ to keep your current configuration and have a stable system that runs OS X - Google is your friend here, which can help you find a custom kernel: http://goo.gl/9pAKe9

• I came to make a smartassed Amiga comment, then discovered that VirtualBox actually issues "Guru Meditation" errors.

• UnmeteredNAT said: and have a stable system that runs OS X

UnmeteredNAT said: can help you find a custom kernel

Does not compute.

Thanked by 3GCat doghouch deadbeef
  • WSS said:
    I came to make a smartassed Amiga comment, then discovered that VirtualBox actually issues "Guru Meditation" errors.

And I though only Varnish issued "Guru Meditation" errors... :P

Thanked by 1GCat