Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

scalextreme.com $2 PER SERVER/MONTH Monitoring
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

scalextreme.com $2 PER SERVER/MONTH Monitoring

gqservgqserv Member
edited April 2013 in Help

Hi guys,

it looks like scalextreme.com changed their pricing today and it is now offering a low cost of $2 dollar patching and $2 dollar monitoring per server. How has your exprience been with scalextreme.com?

Comments

• $2 will buy me a 256mb RAM VPS with Observium or Nagios that will monitor as many servers as i want... Their pricing is ridiculous

• imperioimperio Member
    edited April 2013

@gsrdgrdghd said: $2 will buy me a 256mb RAM VPS with Observium or Nagios that will monitor as many servers as i want... Their pricing is ridiculous

Not an average user can setup Observium or Nagios easily thats why this kind of services are offered.We are living in an outsourced world if the owned cost of setting up and maintaining nagios or observium infrastructure is higher then the offer so it means affordable.Just my 2 cents.

• So is this truly high pricing? I was thinking about offering 20 checks for $2 per month, whenever our monitoring is rolled out.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

Protip, build your own monitoring system.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

This is quite an attractive change. There is, however, a 10 check minimum. So no less than $20/m. This is just for monitoring. Patching and automation are separate services with the same pricing structure, in addition to this.

Make no mistake though, most people cannot construct this level of monitoring, patching, and automation. I've been trying to perfect mine, it's not like it's completely above my capability, but we all have time constraints. This is a nice temporary solution and I've tried it in the past.

• My experience with them has been rather disappointing
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/251715#Comment_251715

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said: $2 will buy me a 256mb RAM VPS with Observium or Nagios that will monitor as many servers as i want... Their pricing is ridiculous

You're comparing apples and oranges. DIY is cheaper/more work...they're offering less work/more expensive.

• This solution is just slow, unresponsive and somewhat bloated. Oh, and it doesn't work for Wheezy.

• tommytommy Member

@raindog308 said: You're comparing apples and oranges. DIY is cheaper/more work...they're offering less work/more expensive.

+1 :)

• @raindog308 +1 as far as myself I am happy to pay for peace of mind

• @Damian, you don't need to do it that cheap, i think 1$ for 5 services is still very cheap. Even 1$ for 2 services is a fair price compared to others.

• @chrisp said: @Damian, you don't need to do it that cheap, i think 1$ for 5 services is still very cheap. Even 1$ for 2 services is a fair price compared to others.

The difference is that on these budget services we're rolling out (DNS, monitoring, email), they're "high value", not "high feature". So I think that offering more checks for the same price would be viable.