Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay premium prices to an LET advertiser?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you pay premium prices to an LET advertiser?

LeeLee Veteran
edited April 2013 in General

Slightly confusing title perhaps. Was just having this debate with a few providers on Google Communities.

So you see a deal or know of providers that advertise here, URPad, BuyVM and so on, but if you needed something more than their $7 type offers provide and they had a plan that suited you on their site but it meant in effect paying premium prices would you pay it to them? Or do you consider LET advertisers budget deals and without those deals you would would have no interest in them and not pay full price for anything they would offer on their site?

Comments

• unusedunused Member
    edited April 2013

I wouldn't touch an LET provider for anything mission critical.

LET = abuse/overselling/etc. Unless they have a different brand/network/support that is non LET it is tainted as far as I am concerned. (Even if the provider is good, the customers they attract probably aren't, or won't be.)

Not trying to bash LET, I love mine and they have their uses, but it is what it is.

• I am sure people here pay a premium for BuyVM's storage/KVM VPS. So LET is a ticket for them to gain credibility and support. However I would like to know if there are any takers in LEB/LET for lets say the ChicagoVPS Xen packages which are not sold at LEB prices.

• Our LET and not-LET offerings are segregated on different servers for this reason. When we were new, all plans shared the same servers, but as time went on, most (all?) of our abuse incidents came from LEB/LET offerings. So they're now separated.

From time to time the LEB/LET servers have a load spike, which then notifies us in Hall, which usually prompts someone to say, tongue in cheek, "there's riots in the ghetto!"

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@unused said: LET = abuse

@Damian said: most (all?) of our abuse incidents came from LEB/LET offerings

Strange. Most of my abuse comes from people paying full price on the front page, and coming from WHT.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

I suppose I should clarify that when I mean "abuse" in this context, I mean things that effect other people on the server or on the internet, like UDP flooding and SSH scanning.

edited April 2013

@Damian said: I suppose when I mean "abuse" in this context, I mean things that effect other people on the server or on the internet, like UDP flooding and SSH scanning.

Ah. I try to rate limit everything that can function within a decent rate limit (usually quite a high limit, just to catch extreme excess). Catch the excess logged packets at the end of the day and then smooth sailing :)

• Doesn't get into the $7/2GB circle. Simply provide a slight discount on official products. We price them to be sustainable and are already "premium".

At least for us, tried to stay out of downgrading hardware, reducing performance, reliability of uptime to greatly reduces prices. Rather get less sales and more happy customer ratio than to appeal to ever lowering prices.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

As a consumer I answer it: if needed, yes on some providers, no on others.

• SPSP Member

I wouldn't have a problem with it. They are providing a service like any other business; if you don't like it, you move. Some of the providers on here are very seasoned, and just because they make a low end offering doesn't disqualify them from being a legitimate business.

• @jarland said: Strange. Most of my abuse comes from people paying full price on the front page, and coming from WHT.

I paint LET & WHT with the same brush, but as you point out WHT referred customers may be even worse.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

Well I don't specifically rely on LET/B for sales etc, it just so happens that some of my products and specials fit the bill here so I promote them.

I guess this is yet another thread the solidifies my belief that the vast majority of the readership here believe LEB/T = Oversold OpenVZ crap and nothing more. god damn Ram race.

• @AnthonySmith said: god damn Ram race.

I know, its really stupid. IMHO any provider in the "ram race" is either desperate or stupid.

• What does Premium has to do with price? Godaddy costs 300% more than LET priced VPS's but I won't call them premium.

@BlackoutIsHere said: I know, its really stupid. IMHO any provider in the "ram race" is either desperate or stupid.

Your mom.

• @jarland said: Your mom.

Stay professional please.

@concerto49 said: Stay professional please.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I think price of service says a lot about the service, in MOST cases.

There are a lot of very reliable LET advertisers.

• @concerto49 said: professional

@jarland said: mom

• We are actually are thinking about moving away from advertising things here. Really not sure the risk is worth the rewards sometimes.

• @jarland said: @unused said: LET = abuse

@Damian said: most (all?) of our abuse incidents came from LEB/LET offerings

Strange. Most of my abuse comes from people paying full price on the front page, and coming from WHT.

Stranger, most of my abuse comes from humans

• @W1V_Lee asked: Would you pay premium prices to an LET advertiser?

Why not? But certain conditions applies:

• I have to use them for non critical service for a while and see the day-to-day performance,
    • Second, I have to know the support team / owner and maintain a good communication with them
    • Third, should there be any glitch in their service, I pay attention to how they deal with the problem as s(.*)t happens mostly on unexpected time

When I'm sure they know what they are doing in handling the server / business, I can place my trust on them and I'm willing to pay premium price for their service.

• @miTgiB said: Stranger, most of my abuse comes from humans

Are you sure about that? ;-)

@miTgiB said: Stranger, most of my abuse comes from humans

ChinaNet = SkyNet

• @jarland

Well, that is one way to put it :P

• @jarland said: ChinaNet = SkyNet

Don't be so prejudice, China makes up my largest base of customers, and are among my lowest abusers once accepted as customers

edited April 2013

@miTgiB said: Don't be so prejudice, China makes up my largest base of customers, and are among my lowest abusers once accepted as customers

Oh I don't mean orders, I mean traffic ;)
    Almost every hit from ChinaNet is malicious for me, and lately at least 80% of all malicious traffic is from ChinaNet. Bots mostly, thus the skynet reference ;)

• @AnthonySmith said: LEB/T = Oversold OpenVZ crap

Couldn't say it better myself.

Overselling is a good thing. Leaving a server using 30% of it's resources is a waste of power and space.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said: Overselling is a good thing

Your mom

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

HAHAHAHA, HE GOT YOU @JARLAND! IN THE ANUS! HAHA!

@AnthonySmith said: Your mom