Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New VestaCP v0.9.8-17 released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New VestaCP v0.9.8-17 released

Just wanted to share with the members here, VestaCP Version 0.9.8-17 is released today. It is mostly a bugfix release as the v16 was quite broken due to code re-factoring.

Comments

• Finally... I've been waiting for this so long.

Thanked by 1Jorbox
  • finally LE GUI supported :)

Thanked by 1Jorbox
  • I hope one day VestaCP will looks like Cpanel

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

whats the use

since around 3 years now, they have been trying for the ipv6 dual stack, every time they keep extending the time...

its better to be with the paid stuff

• Nonono, They always push back ipv6 dammn:(

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • It's not that hard to manually edit the web templates to make it dual stack, i will post the edit later.

• @Jorbox said:
    I hope one day VestaCP will looks like Cpanel

I prefer the look of VestaCP. I just wish it performed as well as CPanel.

• Here the edit you can do to make Vestacp dual stack

listen [::] you can change it listen [IPv6-address] if you what to just bind what ipv6 address or it will use any

edit /etc/nginx/conf.d/(server-ip).conf add

listen [::]:80 default ipv6only=on;

after

listen (serverip):80 default;

In /usr/local/vesta/data/templates/web/nginx

For *.stpl add

listen [::]:%proxy_ssl_port%; 

after

listen      %ip%:%proxy_ssl_port%;

For *.tpl add

listen [::]:%proxy_port%;

after

listen      %ip%:%proxy_port%;

After you do run

for user in $(v-list-sys-users plain); do v-rebuild-web-domains $user; done 

to rebuild all vhost config.

It should work i had it setup on my last vps but no longer have the config file so this is just from the top of my head.

• @agentmishra said:
    whats the use

since around 3 years now, they have been trying for the ipv6 dual stack, every time they keep extending the time...

its better to be with the paid stuff

Well it depends on your needs, actually.

If you're running web hosting service, well yes "paid stuff" will (most of the time) works better. But when you're just a casual blogger/hobbyist, using free stuff that works is (most of the time) preferred..

In my experience vesta, works pretty darn well compare to the other free control panel..

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • We deal with a lot of small companies and actually use vestacp for most of our clients. It does the job well and its just basic and uncomplicated. Cpanel has way more to offer ofcourse but why offer options most won't use anyway? But you know, it all depends on your needs and wishes. I just set someone up with a dedicated server, cpanel licences. One rock solid service... Hosting 17 static pages :) but you know, it's what the client wants.

Thanked by 2Falzo Scottsman
  • @Saragoldfarb said:
    We deal with a lot of small companies and actually use vestacp for most of our clients. It does the job well and its just basic and uncomplicated. Cpanel has way more to offer ofcourse but why offer options most won't use anyway? But you know, it all depends on your needs and wishes. I just set someone up with a dedicated server, cpanel licences. One rock solid service... Hosting 17 static pages :) but you know, it's what the client wants.

OpenVZ 7 consists from open components and includes QEMU/KVM

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2016

Finally

• @Aluminat said:
    finally LE GUI supported :)

Your welcome, initial code was a few hours of work by me then fixes over 2'ish months :)

• @vpscs said:
    Want to add file management capabilities

There is a paid (one time fee) plugin for that... works well

• Has ftp now? Or i need continue stay using sentora?

• pcfreak30pcfreak30 Member
    edited November 2016

@julinhobrow said:
    Has ftp now? Or i need continue stay using sentora?

It has supported proftpd/vsftp for a while now

• @julinhobrow said:
    Has ftp now? Or i need continue stay using sentora?

What do you mean actually ??

• Sentora is another free control panel

• Great new's. best vesta feature is easy to use.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2016

How is Vestacp in terms of security?

• for security ajenti is better, for files sentora, for be faster vestacp and for be easily centos web panel and ispconfig this two last can be a lot slow.

• In my opinion Virtualmin/webmin is one of the best free panels.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2016

julinhobrow said: for security ajenti is better, for files sentora, for be faster vestacp and for be easily centos web panel and ispconfig this two last can be a lot slow.

Not at all.
    For security, if you know what you are doing, virtualmin/webmin is the best, but it is not for newbies. For security, also ispconfig is perfect because you install manual all the elements with excellent tutorials, keeping an eye on what you setup on your server, putting on top of that just an orchestrator. Centos web panel is not slow, but it is very hungry for resources, so, if you do not have enough, maybe you think it is slow. ISPConfig? One of the faster ones, (the reason is above, manually installed elements and a gui for them).
    Ajenti is... almost a panel. In fact, it is a server management console (that is where it started) with a simple web hosting panel as an add on. It lacks a lot of capabilities.
    As for sentora... For files? It is a web panel. Not a file manager. Although the dev team did some time ago try to fix the security holes and be more responsive to what people was saying about security, nowadays has almost zero development due to lack of developers. IMO, the project is dying slowly...
    If by files you mean ftp, for not so experienced users or users that need a panel with an easy and quick installation having all the basics, vesta is the way to go. You can chose between proftpd and vsftp and add (since last year) as many as ftp users you want for each domain. And on the top of that, you can also give jailed ssh access (for sftp among others) to each user by its interface. (cool!).

So to FTFY, a small comparison list for the free panels is:
    1. Webmin/Virtualmin: Better and more secure even from CPanel, but for users that are having real experience. Definitely not for newbies. Extremely fast and can run even to 128MB vps (without clamav/spamassassin).
    2. ISPconfig: Excellent GUI for everything you want to install to your server. Can manage whatever you install there (server, sql, php, ftp, mail, firewall and tons of others). The best part? You install the elements by yourself, being sure on what and how is working on your server, having the help of extremely detailed tons of tutorials, for every scenario of a setup. When you set it up, it is rather an easy panel, and can be run in vps with even 128MB of memory.
    3. VestaCP: In every update, its getting better and with more features. With the addon of GUI install of LE, and a really working (local and remote) backup mechanism, I think it is an excellent choice even for professional hosting companies.
    4. Sentora/ZPanel: It could be a great VestaCP competitor (besides, it started long ago before vesta) but the security issues and the abandon of the major developers is leading the panel to its end...
    5. Ajenti: What is it? A server management GUI? A Web Panel? It is useful as a panel for managing server, but the web panel capabilities are far away from all the competitors. And even as a server manager, Webmin is far better that Ajenti...
    6. Centos Web Panel: Lot of features, but complicated gui and very (but very!) heavy...

Thanked by 1DETio
  • just install vesta & wp. the problem when change permalink wp, htaccess can't write, i've change httpd conf from none to all and restart service stillnot working.
    i dont have those problem when i've install on another vps a few month ago.

• The problem I feel what a majority of VestaCP users face is that at first it is a "too easy to install" panel unlike Webmin or ISPConfig. However, the default install for every panel needs a sound understanding of Linux subsystem to ensure security and fine tune performance... and ofcourse to be able to troubleshoot things "by hand" outbound of Panel's Web UI.

So the problem perhaps is "over expectation" for an out of box solution that is all secure, easy, dandy and performs best, which in my opinion no Panel is.

So... my humble advice to "New Comers" to learn and understand basic Linux administration before switching to any kinds of self managed server. No software is perfect and works out of the box, but if you explicitly want an out of the box thing for you and want "someone to fix" it right away... yes please stick to cPanel. Don't rant a completely free software with it, there is no comparison even otherwise!