Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My theory on cloud storage, points of failure, and the need for LEC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My theory on cloud storage, points of failure, and the need for LEC

natestammnatestamm Member
edited April 2013 in General

I want to throw this out there to the LEN as I am in the clouds.

I have become a huge fan of cloud services within the past yr.
Why? Let me count the ways...ONE. That's it, no gimmicks no long speeches, no diatribe. You simply have one point of failure.

I do have a smirk on to see what kind of response that garners. But I have found time and time again that cloud services provide security that can be had in few other ways. What a great thing is peace of mind. As some have noted in the past weeks cloud services have come under scrutiny over that very word. But how nice to know that a properly managed cloud solution affords not only power and standardization, But security security security.

It is my contention that with the cloud there remains 1 point.

Forget scalability, and all the other obvious benefits of cloud.

And that's really why I find myself in the clouds now..in a professional way. I would invite any one who enjoys cloud services to throw there opinion out there.

Also if we don't have it we need a list of Low End Clouders.

I dare say that the cloud is the future of all things Low End.

Comments

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited April 2013

What about Nuclear missile strikes? Can't forget about how dangerous those are to the cloud.

I kidding of course.

There are needs for non-cloud virtualization as well, such as latency critical applications. The cloud isn't in every data center just yet.

• You do not have one single point of failure, nice way to fall for the marketing tho.

• There is always a point of failure in the cloud. SAN breaks, Power failures , Nuke happens. it is just how prepared you are to react to those situations. my provider that shall not be named here is currently experiencing SAN Head failure which has put my sites down for a day now.

• that can be solved easily. Just spend another crap load of money on a second sans setup that is directly mirrored to the first. Walla! no more point of failure except for power.

• just throw money at it right :D

• of course throwing more money at it is always the correct answer.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There is also the network failures, routers, DDoSes, hacking, many POFs.
    The only real HA is across providers with a DNS redirect in case of problems on one of them.
    We are trying to setup a LEC but without much success so far.

• Oh god, the marketing.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2013

@Maounique said: We are trying to setup a LEC but without much success so far.

That's because you are trying to do it right (which is wrong from another point of view).
    Just create some KVM VPSes, run OpenVZ on them and call it a cloud ;-) Someone already did this :)