Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MXroute - Black Friday sale! Limited quantity! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MXroute - Black Friday sale! Limited quantity!

13»

Comments

• I am not exactly sure how to add 2factor auth on the individual email accounts (I was able to do it for the billing account).
    Any ideas?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@haris said:
    I am not exactly sure how to add 2factor auth on the individual email accounts (I was able to do it for the billing account).
    Any ideas?

You can't. Email protocols do not support two factor authentication.

Thanked by 1haris
  • @jarland said:
    You can't. Email protocols do not support two factor authentication.

I meant for the interface, but I see what you mean (the password is the same on the web ui and the backend).
    Thanks for the reply!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @nqservices said:
    Hi @jarland

Does your mail service has full mobile sync for contacts, calendar and notes? Or just the "normal" IMAP for mobile?

Also in terms of sync with desktop Outlook 2016, the same question, is it possible to sync contacts, calendar and notes?

I'm asking this because i'm looking for a Exchange alternative that can allow me to have full sync on all my devices.

Thanks

Normal IMAP, but OwnCloud is set up for CalDAV/CardDAV. That said, setup is needlessly complicated, and it really only works with Android and Windows. For OSX or iPhone, it's totally broken.

What I've started doing is setting up Google accounts for anything hosted at MXRoute, then setting up both the IMAP and Google accounts on devices. If you need to sync stuff with Outlook, you can use Outlook Caldav Synchronizer. Other than the occasional update notice, it tends to function without irritating users.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/outlookcaldavsynchronizer/

Google accounts have the benefit that they also store histories of stuff, so when a user calls in frantic that they accidentally deleted everything off their calendar, you can just login and restore it all from trash.

In our case avoiding Exchange/Office365 saves about $9600/yr. Jarland's service is too cheap for what he provides. We've had minimal issues with the service - approximately the same number as with Office365. His ticket support times are also pretty comparable. I'm not sure how he makes money at these prices.

Thanked by 1nqservices
  • Is storage SSD or hybrid?
    How fast is the webmail client when searching messages e.g. on a 10-15GB account, compared to Gmail?
    I'ld like to find an alternative to Gmail, but it's hard to find one that matches the search performance of Gmail on large volumes of messages.

edited November 2016

kinotix said: Is storage SSD or hybrid? How fast is the webmail client when searching messages e.g. on a 10-15GB account, compared to Gmail? I'ld like to find an alternative to Gmail, but it's hard to find one that matches the search performance of Gmail on large volumes of messages.

RAID10 2TB 7200 RPM disks. Low iowait consistently. It's fairly fast. Of course, changes may be made over time to address any performance issues should they occur.

Thanked by 1kinotix
  • Im tempted to buy a second one just because.... :)

@Waldo19 said:
    Im tempted to buy a second one just because.... :)

Only 16 left of the $15 one ;)

• @kinotix said:
    Is storage SSD or hybrid?
    How fast is the webmail client when searching messages e.g. on a 10-15GB account, compared to Gmail?
    I'ld like to find an alternative to Gmail, but it's hard to find one that matches the search performance of Gmail on large volumes of messages.

I have one email account in our main MXRoute account with 12GB of email. I just ran a couple dozen random search queries through webmail - search results took about 1.2 seconds to come in for Subject/Sender in an inbox with nearly 20k messages... I then went to Gmail and did the same, and they took about 4 to 6 seconds to come in. However, Gmail also searches the body of emails. (Not perfectly, mind you - but it's pretty good with emails from recent years, and its performance is very consistent.) When I toggle searching the body text in MXRoute RoundCube Webmail, some of the searches take way longer. (Not much longer for just the inbox... about 9-12 seconds... but if I tell it to search all folders (nearly 100k messages), one query that returned 1400 results took 28 seconds.) I did a query that included a company name that must be in tens of thousands of messages, and that query timed out and popped up an error after about ~45 seconds.

You can tell it to only search the current folder and subfolders, so you could work around that by being smart with your folder hierarchy. But if you want to be able to search through massive amounts of email on a whim and very quickly, or don't want to set up a proper folder hierarchy, you're probably still better off paying for Gmail/Google Apps. (Or using the search capabilities of your local email client. Thunderbird's search with an SSD backing it is pretty snappy overall... I mention Thunderbird rather than Outlook because it is free and works on any OS. For what you save not buying Outlook, you can buy an awesome SSD for your computer.)

It is the middle of the night here in North America - that may have made a difference in search performance.

I'm surprised the nodes only have hard drives. But I was told by someone (CatalystHost, I think?) that some of the nodes have 128GB of RAM, but I think Jarland also told me that one only had 32GB? Not sure what's true, but huge amounts of RAM could make a difference in performance for anything frequently used.

Thanked by 2willie vimalware
  • I just could not NOT do it.. :)

But in the future, (IF / When?) a EU node whould be setup, I would like to migrate :)
    Closer to home.

• Can i use 60gb for file storage ?

• @hiepbg said:
    Can i use 60gb for file storage ?

It's essentially an (really good) email server. If your files are being stored in the form of email attachments and not being shared with other people/wouldn't incur a takedown request, I don't see why that wouldn't be allowed (unless it's explicitly against the TOS/AUP).

Thanked by 1jar

@hiepbg said:

Only if the files are in the form of emails. As far as what's actually in the emails, I don't much care and have no desire to find out :P

• yowmamasita said: y 20GB 2015 BlackFriday account from @jarland ($1

jarland said: b for file storage ?

Only if the files are in the form of emails. As far as what's actually in the emails, I don't much care and have no desire to find out :P

@jarland said:

@hiepbg said:

Maximum files size ?

@hiepbg said:

yowmamasita said: y 20GB 2015 BlackFriday account from @jarland ($1

@jarland said:

@hiepbg said:

Maximum files size ?

50MB

• @jarland said:

@hiepbg said:

yowmamasita said: y 20GB 2015 BlackFriday account from @jarland ($1

@jarland said:

@hiepbg said:

Maximum files size ?

50MB

Is 50MB enough to store photos of $someoneotherthanOPs mum? (sorry, I'll be quiet now...)