Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't proxmox being used for selling servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why isn't proxmox being used for selling servers?

taronyutaronyu Member
edited April 2013 in General

I think the title is saying everything. I have never seen anyone using Proxmox for selling servers. Is there a reason for it?

Soon I got about 6gb free on my private dedicated server and I was thinking about selling some KVM servers for cheap. (1gbit, ssd, 1gb for about 10 euros) However I'm not in the mood to buy Solusvm for it. I will need 2 license to sell KVM servers. So proxmox came into my mind.

Comments

• WHCMS plugin for Proxmox

• BenediktBenedikt Member
    edited April 2013

I think it's caused by the fact that Proxmox is quite new. I'm using it on my dedicated server and it's unbelievable stable. Give it a try!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

In my opinion, proxmox is still designed primarily for an administrator and, when used to give users access, for local/organizational deployment. I simply don't see it being dropped in place of something like SolusVM.

• Proxmox is new? lol

edited April 2013

Well, may I should have said relatively. It's getting more and more famous and is not that common. That's what I wanted to say.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

It's all about the client side.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

IPv6 support sucks in proxmox, despite it being based on debian it is not all that stable, things break easy and the only support offered is "Well.... reinstall it", commercial support for it is expensive p/server when compared to other things, it is very well documented though.

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited April 2013

@AnthonySmith said: IPv6 support sucks in proxmox, despite it being based on debian it is not all that stable, things break easy and the only support offered is "Well.... reinstall it", commercial support for it is expensive p/server when compared to other things, it is very well documented though.

@Benedikt said: I think it's caused by the fact that Proxmox is quite new. I'm using it on my dedicated server and it's unbelievable stable. Give it a try!

Well, someone isn't fair :P

I have never used the client side, only the admin side and it isn't bad at all. It is different en maybe a little bit less user friendly but definitly not bad.

Why does ipv6 sucks? I actually need it :/

edited April 2013

Forget about it :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@taronyu well.. it is stable if you never touch it, IPv6 support via the web ui is just not there and probably never will be.

Try running a production environment(s) on it for a year and see how many reboots you need hehe.

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited April 2013

@AnthonySmith said: Try running a production environment(s) on it for a year and see how many reboots you need hehe.

Well,

All our nodes are running Proxmox so we can move servers easily between nodes if needed. (96GB nodes splitted up in several 32GB nodes) and so far it never went down. Not the master and also not the slaves. (atleast not for that)

No ipv6 support... Well, I need it. There has to be a work around for it.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited April 2013

@AnthonySmith said: Try running a production environment(s) on it for a year and see how many reboots you need hehe.

Last July, I got a Windows VPS @Prometeus, with Proxmox control panel. Host uptime is now 243 days, you can see for yourself on the screenshot I have just taken: http://i.imgur.com/WIZt4FT.jpg

I don't like the Proxmox control panel because I found it limited, but this is a non-issue when the service just works. On this testing VPS I reinstalled the operating system a couple of times from the Windows desktop itself, so no control panel access has ever been needed. This VPS has a perfectly working IPv6, I use it to mount a iSCSI target served by a Prometeus IPv6-only storage VPS.

• twaintwain Member

@pcan - hopefully private IP between your Windows VPS and your ISCSI target?

• pcanpcan Member

@twain: no, the IP is public. This is a testing setup, so my bandwith consumption is well below the monthly allowance of both VPS.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Benedikt said: Well, may I should have said relatively.

I think Proxmox is older than SolusVM :)

• So for most people a host using proxmox is a no?

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

if Proxmox support reinstall OS and Xen is very nice, hostbill have provide module.

• Doesn't proxmox support reinstalls? Might be the reason it isn't used for clients.

• @taronyu said: Doesn't proxmox support reinstalls? Might be the reason it isn't used for clients.

You can restore backups, which imho is the same.

• @yomero said: You can restore backups, which imho is the same.

Not exactly, I have to create a server manually for everyone and install it with their OS.

• Create the server and a backup, this is the new "template". Then you can use it for reinstalls

But yes, this works for only one OS.

• the main problem with proxmox, how to configure a client/user and each VPS for them easily? :D

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

There is no client panel for it. Also there are plugins to manage individual VPS from WHMCS but you will have to buy it (not included in WHMCS default pack)

• i83i83 Member

Way to bump an old thread... but yes certain companies do sell Proxmox based VPS.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • 1 Month free - Try out Virtualizor

• wychwych Member

@sz1hosting said:
    1 Month free - Try out Virtualizor

What the fuck does that have to do with proxmox?

• wych said: What the fuck does that have to do with proxmox?

It is a better option and 1 month free so thought i would mention it.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

@sz1hosting said:
    1 month free so thought i would mention it.

@sz1hosting said: It is a better option

>

Proof?
    (Just to confirm that cannot be proven, its an opinion.)

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • wych said: Proof?

Great support 1 click install of web control panels such as webuzo - cPanel & more, well worth the price after the 1 month trial, ipv6 works nice too, try it out if you have time i am sure you will like it, the admin side is a little more advanced than solusvm but the end user side is all around better.