Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100mbps vps and 5MB/s speed is fine?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100mbps vps and 5MB/s speed is fine?

rrrrrr Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hi

I am going to get a VPS from Atlantic.net and I am getting 5MB/s speed on their vps.. is this good speed?

Comments

• MegaBYTES? For me that's a lot

Everybody is obsessed with these numbers

And honestly, it depends on what is your use for the VPS. Do you really have a high traffic app that will push that quantity of traffic? Or you are just using it for personal stuff like VPNing or downloading?

• rrrrrr Member

I am going to use for reselling web hosting.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Is it 5mb/s max to any and all locations? If that's the absolute best you can burst to anywhere at any time, I'd say you have a 50mbit VPS and no it's not ok. I've seen high traffic on a website that simply couldn't be optimized more cap a 100mbit line and bottleneck traffic. We're not even talking front page of reddit here, we're talking tweeted by a semi-famous author in a narrowed market (picture blog, for the concerned reader).

• rrrrrr Member

freevps benchmark script result

[root@server ~]# sh bench.sh

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.12.3
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2400.216 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1877 MB
    Total amount of swap : 4095 MB
    System uptime : 0 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 5.11MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 4.74MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 5.15MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP:
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 4.98MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.26MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.48MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 5.06MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 5.03MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 5.15MB/s
    I/O speed : 304 MB/s

[root@server ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.46007 s, 436 MB/s

• rrrrrr Member

I need this vps for only reselling hosting thats it

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited April 2013

Definitly capped at the provider. You should see bigger differences between US and EU.

If it is a good speed is on you.

edited April 2013

Well, it's pretty consistent to every location. Most of the hosts around here that will let you burst the full 100mbit don't end up having that kind of consistency to several countries and on both sides of the US. You might be alright. Just keep an eye out and make sure bandwidth isn't bottlenecking any clients who have high traffic. If it is, maybe throw them behind cloudflare.

You do, however, have a 50mbit VPS and you should ask them to change their marketing.

• 100mbit only comes out to 5MB/s total download according to one of the tech guy of a provider here so do not complain :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• What network driver are you using?

@imperio said: 100mbit only comes out to 5MB/s total download according to one of the tech guy of a provider here so do not complain :)

Wow. No offense to the guy, I kept hearing how he was some excellent sys admin. Yeah......

• rrrrrr Member

Well its cloud provider atlantic.net.. All my point is.. is it good for this port speed or not.. 5MB/S is good for 1000MBPS port or not thats it.

I cant afford 1GIG port for now.

edited April 2013

@rrr said: is it good for this port speed or not

100mbit should cap at around 11-12mb/s. That doesn't mean you should be able to use it all the time, or even to every location, but you should be able to burst up to it. I would ask if they would be willing to remove the 50mbit cap.

• Mbit / 8 = Mbyte (roughly)

So 100mbit means about 12.5Megabyte/s

-1 for that "Chief networking officer"

• rrrrrr Member

In short performance is not good in this vps right.. I/O is good though right? I will think about other VPS provider.

• @rrr said: In short performance is not good in this vps right.. I/O is good though right? I will think about other VPS provider.

What was their response when you contacted them?

Also:

@Magiobiwan said: What network driver are you using?

• IvanIvan Member

I'm always confused, is the MB/s in the freevps.us benchmark script MegaBYTES or MegaBITS? Sometimes I'm getting speeds I never would've expected.

• Its Megabyte.

• The benchmark is in Megabytes, and the port speed marketed as megabit. Thus 100mbps = 12.5MB/s, and 5MB/s constantly is a good speed (sharing the fact that this is a vps and you share the line with other 10-20 virtual machines).

• Paha, I laughed when that shinkle ticket was posted, I get about 3-4MB/s on my 40Mbits fiber line.

I frequently get upwards of 12MB/s on all my 100Mbit VMs. You're being capped to approx 40/50 Mbits.

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@khuongcomputer said: khuongcomputer 4:37PM Flag

The benchmark is in Megabytes, and the port speed marketed as megabit. Thus 100mbps = 12.5MB/s, and 5MB/s constantly is a good speed (sharing the fact that this is a vps and you share the line with other 10-20 virtual machines).

+1

• @khuongcomputer said: The benchmark is in Megabytes, and the port speed marketed as megabit. Thus 100mbps = 12.5MB/s, and 5MB/s constantly is a good speed (sharing the fact that this is a vps and you share the line with other 10-20 virtual machines).

I think I'm spoiled with 700/200 on my 128M vps :P

• rrrrrr Member

so Is it good or not.. I am confused...

• That depends on your need. If you don't got bandwith needy sites it is fine.

• @rrr said: so Is it good or not.. I am confused...

@taronyu said: That depends on your need

As we said multiple times.

Is like if you ask if a little dog is good, or a big dog is good... Isn't like it has an absolute answer if that's what you are waiting for...

@rrr said: so Is it good or not.. I am confused...

It's good as a consistent speed. It's bad as your absolute max burstable speed.

• prae5prae5 Member

The speed is a good constant speed, however its not good if it was sold as a 100mb port as you will never be able to go about the 5MB/s you are currently getting.

Was it sold as a 100MB port, or a shared 100MB port with a limit on it?

• ChanChan Member

Constant 5Mb/s isn't that bad considering it's on a 100mBit

• rrrrrr Member

Checkout atlantic.net

it cloud based.. instant vps. Bandwidth is not concerned for me as I merely ever cross 100gb bandwidth .. My concern is about port speed.. will site load faster?

• @rrr said: I merely ever cross 100gb bandwidth ..

The speed is quite good....
    Its all right for what you need.

• ChanChan Member

@rrr said: Checkout atlantic.net

it cloud based.. instant vps. Bandwidth is not concerned for me as I merely ever cross 100gb bandwidth .. My concern is about port speed.. will site load faster?

Possible but I doubt, as most people's internet maxes out at around 1Mb/s

Though that maybe different when you have multiple visitors though, just get 1Gbit if possible