Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

    Interest in Windows VPS?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

    Interest in Windows VPS?

    concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2013 in General

    Hi, setting up KVM VPS right now, but that's boring!

    Would there be interest in Windows VPS and if so which version:

    2008
    2008 R2
    2012

    Min requirements for 2012 is 512MB RAM, 32GB HDD.

    We'd be looking at KVM 512MB RAM 35GB HDD for $7 including license. There will be plans with more RAM too.

    Any interest in this? It will be first available in Texas and later LA.

    Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
    We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    «1

    Comments

    • NeoNeo Banned

      For 7$ with license sure....

    • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Provider

      Hell yeah!

    • @Neo said: For 7$ with license sure....

      +1 wow

      Personal consultant to OP's Mom™

    • jhjh Member

      I imagine at that price you'll have a lot of takers

      Greetings of the day!!!!

    • trewqtrewq Administrator, Provider

      I would get one for sure.

    • Absolutely for that price...

    • Or more ram if we provide our own lic? Win2012

    • HassanHassan Member, Provider

      How?

    • @Hassan said: How?

      We need the license for our own stuff.

      @suapbrudda said: Or more ram if we provide our own lic? Win2012

      Possibly.

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • @user123 said: @Neo said: For 7$ with license sure....

      +1 wow

      +1000

      BTW, I already your client

      Get Backup / Storage VPS (40% Off Discount: 40PERCENT) | OpenVZ & KVM (Fully Managed) / Shared & Reseller (Free Dedicated IP) | $3 Reseller (50% Off Discount: letbestreselleroffer), Low latency to EU, US and Asia Optimized (affiliate links)

    • that will be great..

    • Nick_ANick_A Top Provider

      So much Bitcoin will be run...

      RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
      NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - IPv6 - DDoS Protection
    • jeffjeff Member
      edited April 2013

      me too... 2012, I need more RAM, still learning Powershell.

      Thanks! Jeff

    • @jeff said: me too... 2012, I need more RAM, still learning Powershell.

      There will be plans with more RAM.

      @Nick_A said: So much Bitcoin will be run...

      It doesn't work with CPU anyway. I tried. I run it on my graphics cards at home though :p

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • Nick_ANick_A Top Provider

      @concerto49 said: It doesn't work with CPU anyway. I tried. I run it on my graphics cards at home though :p

      Doesn't work or doesn't work well? Because I still catch people trying, among other really annoying abuses of KVM on Windows.

      RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
      NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - IPv6 - DDoS Protection
    • @Nick_A said: Doesn't work or doesn't work well? Because I still catch people trying, among other really annoying abuses of KVM on Windows.

      Well people try anything. Oh there are abusers; Windows or not. It doesn't work as in it doesn't generate any useful results. You might get 0.00000000000000000001 BTC. It's not going to be worth the time and effort (and cost of the VPS). You won't get anything close to $7/month back.

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • CPU hashrates are extremely low, dwarfed by even wimpy GPU mining which is soon to be spanked by ASIC miners as they become more available.

    • wroxwrox Member

      Oh yes! 2012.

    • marcmmarcm Member

      @concerto49 - Been there, done that, so enjoy the abuse. We will never again support Windows.

    • concerto49concerto49 Member
      edited April 2013

      @marcm and there is abuse on Linux, point being?

      Mind explaining what happened?

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • marcmmarcm Member

      @concerto49 said: Mind explaining what happened?

      If I would it would be a TL;DR type post that I don't feel like writing and probably no one would feel like reading. In a nutshell there was allot of abuse. If you really have to do this, then just dedicate a node to Windows. I recommend you use KVM over Xen HVM, RAID + BBU and don't allocate all the available cores to every VPS. And don't be shocked when you'll find your customers doing illegal activities and using your VPS servers as a fence, trying to shield themselves from any possible consequences. Best of luck!

    • @marcm said: If you really have to do this, then just dedicate a node to Windows. I recommend you use KVM over Xen HVM, RAID + BBU and don't allocate all the available cores to every VPS.

      We never give all the cores to most VPS plans, especially not 512MB. Always run on RAID + BBU. It's a standard. Definitely KVM.

      @marcm said: And don't be shocked when you'll find your customers doing illegal activities and using your VPS servers as a fence, trying to shield themselves from any possible consequences.

      They do it now - Windows or not - is there a difference?

      @marcm said: In a nutshell there was allot of abuse.

      In a nutshell it happens on Linux too. This isn't $7/2GB land anyway :p -- that's worse.

      @marcm said: Best of luck!

      Thanks. Yeah the full node will be Windows, otherwise it'd be a waste of the license.

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • NekkiNekki Moderator

      I've just started looking at Windows 2K8 at work, so it'd be nice to have something to mess around with for a month or two without fear of crapping on a critical service. Definitely interested.

    • Oh sorry you've got a site windows licence. Then forget my comment about the BYO lic.
      I'd still be interested, you mentioned there would be more RAM available which would be nice.

      Marcm, glad you're sharing your experiences, but not everyone running a win box is a scriptkiddie. Many of us just want a dev box to play with from work/home/anywhere.
      There are plenty of people abusing linux boxes too, just look at the number of people complaining even here about getting their a/c suspended for various activities.

      You monitor, you shutdown/ban those abusing their box.

    • @suapbrudda said: There are plenty of people abusing linux boxes too, just look at the number of people complaining even here about getting their a/c suspended for various activities.

      You monitor, you shutdown/ban those abusing their box.

      Yeah, we've had plenty of people abusing on Linux and I'm sure most hosts do.

      @suapbrudda said: Oh sorry you've got a site windows licence. Then forget my comment about the BYO lic.

      I'd still be interested, you mentioned there would be more RAM available which would be nice.

      Yes, it's a Windows DC license per CPU. I've double checked and double confirmed it. It's legal. This isn't something dodgy. As said, I need the license for a few other things hence the discounted price.

      There will be plans with more RAM for sure. Up to 4GB at least. It's just outside of LEB price.

      Ok, look I need to run Sharepoint :p

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • Sharepoint cries

      Check my blog for more cool *nix tips & tricks!

    • @concerto49 said: including license.

      I think this will be a great selling point. Nice package, Concerto. :)

      @concerto49 said: This isn't $7/2GB land anyway :p -- that's worse.

      I think we do pretty well for this. :)

      https://nodedeploy.com | Premium VPS Solutions | Managed

    • XeiXei Member

      I'm all for more competition in the low end Win VPS market. :)

    • @PhilND said: I think this will be a great selling point. Nice package, Concerto. :)

      Thanks.

      @PhilND said: I think we do pretty well for this. :)

      I'm not saying you're doing bad. Was simply referring to the possible amount of abuse.

      @Xei said: I'm all for more competition in the low end Win VPS market. :)

      We don't have autoboot sadly :p

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • jeffjeff Member

      Does anyone recognize the value in a huge ecosystem? Running app support on a Windows VPS will have benefits, not the best OS, but obviously an opportunity.

      Thanks! Jeff

    • jarjar Provider

      @Nick_A said: Because I still catch people trying, among other really annoying abuses of KVM on Windows.

      That's probably just me running that windows on 256mb KVM ;)

      I started shutting mine down when I'm not using it, because there's no way I'm not swapping in the VPS haha.

    • @jeff said: Does anyone recognize the value in a huge ecosystem? Running app support on a Windows VPS will have benefits, not the best OS, but obviously an opportunity.

      Agrees, but it does also explain the higher abuse rate.

      Either way. Worth giving it a go. Will keep everyone updated once it's ready. Thanks for all the positive feedback.

      It's a compromise between doing something different OR going cheaper. Rather do something different.

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • jeffjeff Member

      @concerto49 said: Either way. Worth giving it a go. Will keep everyone updated once it's ready. Thanks for all the positive feedback.

      If you don't mind the suggestion, because the need for app support in the Windows ecosystem, please consider not just plain vanilla VPS, but app hosting. You can get 100% of app revenue if you host your own app. Also many corp apps will need/want app hosting.

      Thanks! Jeff

    • one more +1 FOR your windows VPS idea concerto49

    • @jeff said: If you don't mind the suggestion, because the need for app support in the Windows ecosystem, please consider not just plain vanilla VPS, but app hosting.

      We already offer managed VPS, so that will be there.

      We already host Atlassian applications but on Linux.

      Having said that, didn't you see me mention Sharepoint? That was the whole point of this exercise :)

      Thanks again.

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • jeffjeff Member

      @concerto49 said: Having said that, didn't you see me mention Sharepoint? That was the whole point of this exercise :)

      Maybe I should have read through better, enjoying the fam.

      Thanks! Jeff

    • marcmmarcm Member

      @concerto49 said: We already host Atlassian applications but on Linux.

      @concerto49 - Cool! What kind of Atlassian applications? Can you please elaborate?

    • concerto49concerto49 Member
      edited April 2013

      @marcm said: @concerto49 - Cool! What kind of Atlassian applications? Can you please elaborate?

      @marcm We can do the whole suite. Mostly host JIRA and Confluence though since those the popular ones. Also do consulting/administration around it - performance tuning, administration work, upgrades etc of private instances of clients.

      Been in the ecosystem for years. Done some plugin work and used the projects extensively.

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • marcmmarcm Member

      @concerto49 - Nice :) I dropped Github in favor of Atlassian. I also love Source Tree. It's much better compared to that crappy GitHub source code management application. Anyway, I don't want to go off topic here. Cool beans @concerto49 :-)

    • You need 32GB Hard Disk for backup?

      Cheap $9/Year Hosting(US/UK/Canada/ES) - Cheap Windows VPS Hosting from Dewlance & Linux Xen VPS at low price. PreMadeKb.com WHMCS/Blesta Readymade Knowledgebase
    • @DewlanceVPS said: You need 32GB Hard Disk for backup?

      It's what Microsoft recommends as min requirement for 2012. Have you read the spec?

      If my plan is under the spec, then well everyone will start complaining before I even get abuses.

      @marcm there's also Stash from Atlassian :)

      Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member
      edited April 2013

      @concerto49 said: It's what Microsoft recommends as min requirement for 2012. Have you read the spec?

      If my plan is under the spec, then well everyone will start complaining before I even get abuses.

      Then what about RAM?
      Microsoft recommended to use only 512mb ram for windows 2012?

      Cheap $9/Year Hosting(US/UK/Canada/ES) - Cheap Windows VPS Hosting from Dewlance & Linux Xen VPS at low price. PreMadeKb.com WHMCS/Blesta Readymade Knowledgebase
    • That was the minimum.

    • Yes I'm interested, It's a Windows LEB with license, wow...

      How many stars in your bowl? How many sorrows in your soul?
    • BayuBayu Member

      I'm interested too, since not many LEB comes with Windows license.
      Previously, SonicVPS provide KVM VPS with windows 2003 for $7, but seems no longer available at this time.

      ...

    • I need Windows VMs with 1gbps uplink and downlink port which have remote console via VNC or KVM on US datacenters with multiple tier1 upstream providers and peerings for benchmarking download and upload speeds of other servers.

    • ChanChan Member

      @DewlanceVPS said: Then what about RAM?

      Microsoft recommended to use only 512mb ram for windows 2012?

      I hope they recommend AutoBoot soon, may come in handy you never know

    • BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
      edited April 2013

      @imperio said: I need Windows VMs with 1gbps uplink and downlink port which have remote console via VNC or KVM on US datacenters with multiple tier1 upstream providers and peerings for benchmarking download and upload speeds of other servers.

      And LEB pricing.

    • i have two unused windows vps, running on 512mb ram, with win2008, my internet is slow, so when i access them, i feel them slow.

      also i have one with 4GB ram, it feel much faster, but i still thinking the internet i am using, makes the difference on the speed when im on remote desktop.

      Hola perro!

    • @Bogdacutuu said: And LEB pricing.

      Not mandatory.

    Sign In or Register to comment.