Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm thinking of setting up a free LET service.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm thinking of setting up a free LET service.

skirtTightskirtTight Member
edited April 2013 in General

Since I noticed there's a few people wanting to store their email somewhere.

I decided that it'd nice if I just grabbed one of my instances, installed kloxo on it, and gave out a free service for the LET community.

The only requirements/rules being:
Being on LET longer than a month.
Obviouly don't abuse it.

I wouldn't set a limit on the # of email accounts per user.
I'd be using kloxo with lighttpd, offering basic hosting services.

And, obviously, it'd be 100% free of charge.

What do you guys think I should limit the disk/bandie limits to?

Comments

• and why would people trust a random troll with their private mails?

• jhjh Member

There's a lot of responsibility involved in hosting email..

• @skirtTight said: What do you guys think I should limit the disk/bandie limits to?

Something low/reasonable.

• @jhadley said: There's a lot of responsibility involved in hosting email..

So I shouldn't trust most of let?

@Microlinux said: Something low/reasonable.

Maybe I should set it to something low, and increase it upon request (per user).

• It might also be interesting to really be selective to keep the reigns in on abusers. There seem to a lot of free services, but most seem to focus on quantity over quality. I'd rather have a low-resource but stable free service than some over-the-moon, abused to hell free service.

• @Microlinux said: It might also be interesting to really be selective to keep the reigns in on abusers. There seem to a lot of free services, but most seem to focus on quantity over quality. I'd rather have a low-resource but stable free service than some over-the-moon, abused to hell free service.

I'm trying to keep abusers out by making everyone that want's contact pm me thru let.

• I doubt if many will sign up. emails are sensitive to be trusted on free service from some random guy.

• @jcaleb said: I doubt if many will sign up. emails are sensitive to be trusted on free service from some random guy.

Then don't.

• @jcaleb said: I doubt if many will sign up. emails are sensitive to be trusted on free service from some random guy.

Probably not as a primary account -- but I could think of scenarios where it could be a useful service.

• @Microlinux said: Probably not as a primary account -- but I could think of scenarios where it could be a useful service.

For trolling account maybe?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Hmm, free email service.

I suspect someone has already thought of this.

• @jcaleb said: For trolling account maybe?

That would be one (undesirable) use. There are undesirable sides to most things in life, sadly.

• AndreAndre Member

Gmail
    Outlook (Hotmail)
    Yahoo Mail
    AOL Mail
    Yandex Mail
    Mail.com
    Shortmail

etc etc

• @raindog308 said: Hmm, free email service.

Big No No

• jhjh Member

@skirtTight said: So I shouldn't trust most of let?

I definitely wouldn't host my email on a LEB, but maybe that's just me.

@Andre said: Shortmail

I read this as "shovemail" ;)

• It's nice that you want to provide something for free, but I think the only thing that would possibly generate interest in this community is straight storage space, maybe owncloud.

• installed kloxo on it

kloxo, the control panel whose security track record over the years is almost as bad as zpanel's?

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

This service obviously wouldn't be for anything important. Just a spare inbox anytime you don't want to use your main one. I'm in favor.

• @DomainBop said: kloxo, the control panel whose security track record over the years is almost as bad as zpanel's?

Suggest me something better.

• @skirtTight said: Suggest me something better.

roundcube+sendmail+dovecot

• I would use it for online stuff if it was more anonymous.

• @bcarlsonmedia said: I would use it for online stuff if it was more anonymous.

yeah
    no

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@bcarlsonmedia said: I would use it for online stuff if it was more anonymous.

Ah, the old days of anon.penet.fi...

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Not anonymous in the sneaking around way, just in the not being gmail way.

• Grab a public sub domain from afraid.org and setup a mx with that. Quick and easy.

• tommytommy Member

@herbyscrub said: Grab a public sub domain from afraid.org and setup a mx with that. Quick and easy.

that not a good idea, since you can get domain just for $7 and use domain live to host your mail.

• After seeing how you like to talk and refer to people, I won't touch you even with a 10 miles pole...

• @yomero said: After seeing how you like to talk and refer to people, I won't touch you even with a 10 miles pole...

Basically how I feel.

• I stopped reading here.

• @DStrout said: I'm in favor.

...Until I actually pay enough attention to the thread to see who's proposing it.