Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux Foundation takes over Xen
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• It really is a news worthy day...

• @HalfEatenPie said: Anyone have any opinions?

It sounds quite good. I'm excitited as I don't know what I should expect.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

So it's not over yet - as some here announced after Red Hat dropped Xen from RHEL in favour of KVM. I like it.
    We can't predict route but atleast won't die.

• marcmmarcm Member

Xen PV is so loved by cloud providers because it is easy to work with. Taking snapshots means archiving the VPS, so moving entire VPS servers across networks, even from one data center to another is easy. Most of the Xen Clouds are more like Sudo Clouds, however they work well. With KVM it's much harder to do things like this. OpenVZ is just as easy to work with as Xen.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Spirit -> Check out http://repo.phoenixrpm.com - you'll find Xen Kernel for RHEL 6, latest Xen 4.1, bridge utils and much more. All up to date.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

hahahaha, such good news, so happy I decided to just stick with Xen and nove cave in and move to KVM.

my 2c is:

RHEL dropped Xen but Xen is 10 years old, it was never 'dropped' just no longer shipped in an easy rpm.

Having used both Xen and KVM, Xen is just faster, it puts less overhead on the host node and is very flexible, sure it is not a 'button clicker' product which is why so many amateurs stick with OpenVZ and fear Xen.

I often heard this when RHEL backed KVM; KVM is everything Xen should have been but never achieved. well I say this, Yes some nice features where achieved with KVM but at the cost of complexity without good reason and higher overhead.

I love KVM too for what it is but nothing rivals Xen PV yet imo and with such huge names backing it I have no doubt it is going to be back on top in no time.

Now I would like to express how this news makes me feel through the medium of pictures:

I will release a super special Xen offer today to celebrate :)

Today just keeps getting better: http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/Xen4

• @AnthonySmith said: Having used both Xen and KVM, Xen is just faster, it puts less overhead on the host node and is very flexible

+1 At the office, we switched to KVM but then switched back to Xen.

@AnthonySmith said: sure it is not a 'button clicker' product which is why so many amateurs stick with OpenVZ and fear Xen.

+10

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said: sure it is not a 'button clicker' product which is why so many amateurs stick with OpenVZ and fear Xen.

Your mom.

• @marcm said: @Spirit -> Check out http://repo.phoenixrpm.com - you'll find Xen Kernel for RHEL 6, latest Xen 4.1, bridge utils and much more. All up to date.

Or using the smartservermanagement repo from chris: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1236073

@jarland said: Your mom.

hahahaha in your FACE!

• I find that Xen is an absolute nightmare to work as it's documentation is abysmal.
    Almost started drinking on the job trying to find vif = ['model=???'] in xen documentation.

• JacobJacob Member

@jarland "mum" , "colour". Damnn amuricans' pfft!

@Jacob "mam". Damn southerners! pffft!!

@AnthonySmith said: southerners

I quote: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=soft southerner

1. Usually used to describe, in a geographical sense, where a person is originally from.

The exact definition of Southern is up for debate.

Someone from the very north of England is likely to consider anyone who lives south of Yorkshire to be 'a southerner'.

2. The term can also be used to insult and stereotype a person who is from the south. Other common insults include southern fairy, soft southerner, southern pansy and posh southerner. These insults essentially mean the same as one another. The term 'southern' is particularly useful in insulting people who are 'soft', posh, unable to drink alcohol without falling over/vomiting and who need to wear a coat when the weather is a bit nippy.

'Southern' is commonly used as an adjective to describe the attributes held by someone from the south. The term is usually directed by someone from the north to someone from the south.
    1. He is Southern as he was born in London/ Essex/ Manchester.

2. When a person from the south is shivering and people from the north are wearing t- shirts the northern people may use the phrase 'you are so southern'.

Similarly, if a southern person drinks too much (this is likely to be early in the evening when they are drinking with people from the north) and does something silly/ embarrassing the northern people may attribute the southern persons drunken state entirely to being 'southern'.

Lol people don't really live there.

@jarland said: Lol people don't really live there.

LOL, yeah, only about 2.5x the population of Texas and about half the land mass if not less, it is getting crowded here :(

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said: LOL, yeah, only about 2.5x the population of Texas and about half the land mass if not less, it is getting crowded here :(

Don't whine to the rest of us that you gave up your empire.

@raindog308 said: you gave up your empire.

:(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Getting back to Xen, it never was about to die, and it is not only Xen-PV flavour of it.
    There are improvements being done to lower overhead for so called HVM, by keeping the best of both worlds. 4.3 might do that.

• Haha @AnthonySmith is basically doing a victory lap on this thread.

@HalfEatenPie said: OpenVZ is the most advanced and stable virtualization platform available.

That's what I thought you said.

edited April 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: Haha @AnthonySmith is basically doing a victory lap on this thread.

laps

:)

@Maounique yeah I guess I mean this will improve things from an end user perspective when Xen once again sits on the popularity contest throne :)

@AnthonySmith said: when Xen once again sits on the popularity contest throne :)

Never left it for me :) KVM is good and well tweaked can have great performance, but I wait for a real close to bare-metal speed, virtio is a good step but now Xen might just improve on that.

@Maounique said: Never left it for me :)

Yeah but you are more 'in the mix' than a regular client/consumer, just take a look at all the Xen offers around here,... oh wait, there is like 5 or 6 hosts doing Xen and afaik only 2 as a primary service.

edited April 2013

Well, pro admins, businesses are looking for Xen mostly, you aint fix it if it aint broken and Xen is certainly not broken right now.
    Our Bix xen was the most successful of the three, run out of stock very fast and now we just put a big server up to finally fix the stock problem, now with a diskless machine, pure san storage :)
    The masses are still going for OVZ, and a bit of KVM, if they want it, we give it, their loss :)

• @jarland said: That's what I thought you said.

When and where? Haha I could have been wrong!

• twaintwain Member

Cloudmin Xen GPL is very naz for a one-off Xen host node if you want to get up and running quickly..

http://www.webmin.com/cinstall-xen.html

• I suppose this doesn't bode well for KVM overtaking Xen, but I think there will always be a market for "competing" technologies.