Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex Server

GCatGCat Member
edited November 2016 in Requests

Hey all,

I'm looking for a nice, affordable box to host plex media server, I'll be uploading a fair amount of movies, so 1TB HDD is preferred, my current plex server has:

6 GB RAM

120 GB SSD

West Coast (US)

Unfortunately my current provider (won't name them here) is unable to provide more storage for 3 months (when they order more drives) and I've maxed out my storage, so I'm looking for offers, I'm not fussy on the ram, only fussy on the storage, needs to be greater than or equal to 250 GB, and be upgradable when needed.

I'm willing to pay in 3-6-9-12 month terms (minimum 3), depending on the age of the company providing and the specifications, I have no issues signing a contract and providing ID verification.

Comments

• If you're happy with your current host, can't you just get some cheap storage and mount it on the current server?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Just to get clarification. Are you looking for SSD or HDD?

• @Awmusic12635 said:

HDD

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@GCat said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

HDD

Ssd plex server is too good

Thanked by 1GCat
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited November 2016

What kind of usage? How many concurrent users? Will you transcode? CPU plays a big part with plex. You speak of affordable, but whats your true budget?

• @gcat how much are you paying currently? And would you be willing to pm me the provider ?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Budget?

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

Hi, like @Nekki said just order affordable storage server and mount it using for example NFS to your current server. All needed calculation will be done on your current server and data will be stored on storage server.

Take a look at our storage servers, you will be surprised by price needed to order 1 TB storage server :)

• time4vps said: Take a look at our storage servers, you will be surprised by price needed to order 1 TB storage server :)

Europe to West USA (As his requirements if you bothered to read) isn't going to be sufficient speed for plex transcoding at high quality rate.

@Foul said:
    isn't going to be sufficient speed for plex transcoding at high quality rate.

If you will use storage server only for storing data and it would be mounted to your current server all transcoding would still be on current server. In this case "raw" data would be downloaded from storage to Plex server which needs less port speed. However, first of all, of course you should check speed between storage and Plex server to see if it's enough for "raw" data downloading.

• time4vps said: However, first of all, of course you should check speed between storage and Plex server to see if it's enough for "raw" data downloading.

I've had a storage server and the speeds were terrible along with the I/O to use as a mounted storage on my plex server in dallas.

Just speaking from my experience from you guys.

• edited November 2016

@Foul said:

time4vps said: However, first of all, of course you should check speed between storage and Plex server to see if it's enough for "raw" data downloading.

I've had a storage server and the speeds were terrible along with the I/O to use as a mounted storage on my plex server in dallas.

+1

Had a ticket open about that just yesterday (network speeds), they said they couldn't do anything about it. It was 4mbps going from their DC to Choopa NJ.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @time4vps said:
    Hi, like @Nekki said just order affordable storage server and mount it using for example NFS to your current server. All needed calculation will be done on your current server and data will be stored on storage server.

Take a look at our storage servers, you will be surprised by price needed to order 1 TB storage server :)

I'm doing this now with SSHFS, would NFS perform better?

• FoulFoul Member
    edited November 2016

ALinuxNinja said: +1

Had a ticket open about that just yesterday (network speeds), they said they couldn't do anything about it. It was 4mbps going from their DC to Choopa NJ.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Yup.... I was getting 3.6mbps from their DC to softlayer.

I get around 220mbps from hetzner to my SL box in dallas.

Foul said: I was getting 3.6mbps from their DC to softlayer.

Could you please perform iperf test and share results (or PM):

http://lg.time4vps.eu/

Thank you.

• @Foul said:

time4vps said: However, first of all, of course you should check speed between storage and Plex server to see if it's enough for "raw" data downloading.

Bro local with the Mac Pro on my fiber connection at home. Thinking of getting a pi 3 and dedicating it as a Plex server. Most of my Storage is USB anyways and you don't need a full USB 3 connection to stream movies. Probably pre transcode then download to it.

Use it as a storage server aswell.

It's almost pointless to use a dedicated host for something personal unless you need a specific connection mix/blend of providers. Or absolutely need a manager solution.

Go local.

• Hello.
    We can provide server in Ukraine, from 40-50$/m. Contact US

• TakeProvider said: Hello. We can provide server in Ukraine, from 40-50$/m. Contact US

That's probably not going to happen, just so you're not staring at your inbox for a few hours.