Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What OS do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What OS do you use?

I run Debian 7 on nearly all of my servers, what do you run?

Also, which would you say is more stable out of Debian 7/8 or CentOS 6/7?

Comments

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

Depends on the usage of the server. I personally like to use either CentOS 7 or Ubuntu Server LTS. I prefer Ubuntu Server over Debian, mainly because it's all based on more recent software.
    The choice of OS also depends on your personal preference. All distros are fine a long you're using a supported version.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • I run either Debian or CentOS. Not a fan of Ubuntu for servers. I prefer yum over apt-get personally.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

CentOS 7/Debian 8 on servers, Gentoo/Arch on workstations.

• For production: Ubuntu 14, Centos 7

• Centos for important things, fedora for testing/experimentation/desktop.
    Mostly just because i worked a lot with redhat distros and see no point in wasting time figuring out how to do things in debian/ubuntu.
    Additionaly i really like OpenBSD, but in most cases it is not practical...

• Centos 6/7 for server and windows/ubuntu for desktop

• SunOS 2.0

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • @Ishaq said:
    SunOS 2.0

Oh, wow, this has been released already? Wtf, I was busy watching the news about the TWA Flight 847 hostage situation.

Thanked by 3thagoat vimalware ehab
  • @deadbeef said:
    Oh, wow, this has been released already? Wtf, I was busy watching the news about the TWA Flight 847 hostage situation.

You snooze you lose. OTA updates happening already.

Thanked by 2deadbeef ehab
  • I switched a lot of my servers from Debian to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS but then just recently I've moved a couple to FreeBSD 11.0 which I have been super happy with.

• graphicgraphic Member
    edited November 2016

Debian 7/8 never had any problem with those systems.

• Ubuntu for servers, mostly 16.xx but some older LTS. Arch for lappies and desktops. EvilCorpOS at work =(

• Ubuntu 16.04 on a laptop, on all the VPS/dedis, usually Debian, sometimes Ubuntu sometimes CentOS.

I slightly prefer Ubuntu/Debian due to familiarity. A slight pain in the arse with CentOS on smaller memory VPS is it running out of memory for yum actions.

• Ubuntu LTS (14.04, 16.04) servers, if I need most recent versions of most software.
    Debian 7/8 or CentOS 6/7 if I need well-tested and stable pieces of software
    FreeBSD if I need security above anything else.

Using Ubuntu 16.04 on most computers running Linux.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

we do run Debian and CentOS, the Ubuntu is sucks as they updating their terms and condition and trying to charge for original open source project/code.

• CentOS 7 for most things (I like the stability of the RHEL ecosystem, and there are a few decent repos you can use if you need the latest versions of things like PHP, Ruby, etc.). Debian 8 if not CentOS 7, but Ubuntu 14/16 (LTS) more and more... just because they're so popular/supported elsewhere.

• debian thx

• SamistineSamistine Member
    edited November 2016

Opensuse ✋

Although, I run a bunch of Ubuntu servers.

Sidenote: Suse has the best youtube channel of any software development company I've seen.

Uptime Funk:

What Does the Chameleon Say?:

• many more :P
  • I'd prefer Gentoo or Arch which work better than rh-based os in small ram boxes.

• Mostly Debian testing, but I'll rock Ubuntu 16.04 if lxd is to be involved.

• Ubuntu LTS across the board.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@thagoat said:
    Ubuntu for servers, mostly 16.xx but some older LTS. Arch for lappies and desktops. EvilCorpOS at work =(

Canonical isn't much better anyway; at least MS is trying to turn a new leaf with its push for open source.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Ubuntu & Debian. Need a bit more RHEL experience before I deploy it. Haven't run into it much as my team is mostly Ubuntu guys.

• Debian 8. It's a barebones distro I can get to work on quickly.
    Or, CentOS 7.

• most times i prefer debian

• Debian & Ubuntu for everything.

• Im human so windows

• mik997mik997 Member
    edited November 2016

Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 LTS .. Windoze when I've got no other choice ..

• For server debian/centos, for devlopment linux mint/mac , fro graphic design windows/mac

• debian 8 on servers, manjaro for my desktop

Thanked by 1bersy