Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How sure can I be I get reasonable amount of CPU on a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How sure can I be I get reasonable amount of CPU on a VPS?

arturartur Member
edited April 2013 in General

I'm starting a new website and I'm wondering if I should get a VPS or a dedicated server. My reasoning is that I get 1GB VPS which is say one of 30 on a physical server. It means that in worst case I get only ~ 3% CPU (~12% of a single core) of the host machine. Whereas on a dedicated server I'm sure I have 100% all the time.

Essentially my question is about how VPSes work: the fact that they typically run reasonably fast is only due to the luck that other users don't use much resources? Can I have a reasonable amount of guaranteed resources on a low end box?

Comments

• If you have an application that will be heavy on CPU usage, it will be best to get a dedicated server.

• If you are deciding between VPS and dedicated server, why are you asking about a LEB and not a VPS comparable to a dedicated server?

• @superpilesos said: If you are deciding between VPS and dedicated server, why are you asking about a LEB and not a VPS comparable to a dedicated server?

+1 on that too.

• arturartur Member

I thought about low end Kimsufi servers, which start at 15$.

• @artur you can run large websites on vps's We use one of our vps's for our shared hosting. Depending on your budget and your knowledge choose dedicated or a higher end vps.

• arturartur Member

@24khost I know most people have good experiences with VPS, the thing that bugs me though is that I can have "bad luck" and have greedy neighbours :).

• Go with a good provider. :D

• arturartur Member

@budingyun How having a good provider can help? This is a hard limitation of a VPS deployment model - if you have 30 VPSes in the worst case each one gets only 1/30th of resources.

• @budingyun said: Go with a good provider. :D

@artur said: greedy neighbours :)

• @artur you have budget providers and you have LEB budget providers. And then there is overlap. I would never suggest you run a site on a BudgetVM vps, but IPXCore, 24khost, BuyVM, and many other of the trusted hosts here and you should have no problems. If you see your loads start going up and no change in your traffic submit a ticket and they will all look into it for you.

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited April 2013

@artur said: How having a good provider can help? This is a hard limitation of a VPS deployment model - if you have 30 VPSes in the worst case each one gets only 1/30th of resources.

Usually bigger vps plan will have higher CPU priority than lower plan depend how the provider managing the vps node. I recommend you use vps with XEN or KVM virtualization to lower risk of other user hogging the CPU. Good provider usually good in managing their node. :D