Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time4vps changes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time4vps changes

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

So first thing they've done:

512GB Storage VPS no longer exists - I was ok with this.

1TB Storage VPS no longer has monthly billing cycle - Not ok with this. Got an order for a monthly 1TB Storage VPS that I won't be able to fulfill.

Are there any alternatives? We'd love to move from Time4VPS as I am sure they won't get this sorted for us, but making us to purchase their more expensive plans.
As a reseller with quite a few VPS this is super, super frustrating.

Thanked by 1lion

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

What if they decide to change their billing cycles, all to annually? Heh. This is... Just not right.

• MrGeneral said: Heh. This is... Just not right.

They can honestly do whatever they want, but they probably need more cashflow intermediately to buy more drives;

Not sure why anybody wants to be with them with their shit I/O now

Thanked by 2GCat dedicados
  • gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

@MrGeneral what is your monthly budget for a 1TBStorage VPS?

• MrGeneral said: What if they decide to change their billing cycles, all to annually? Heh. This is... Just not right.

They're clearly playing a game of fine margins, so really this sort of thing has to be expected. Don't like it? Go somewhere else....except you can't, because no-one else has the storage for such a low price.

• apollo15apollo15 Member
    edited November 2016

@Foul said:

Because their customers are simply too cheap to buy anything better and they would rather pay low for shit than pay more for premium.

• Are there any alternatives?

Pay yearly for something you intend to use longer than a month.

• Pass the customer onto somewhere instead of you marking the VPS up? Point them to @AshleyUk

@Foul said:

MrGeneral said: Heh. This is... Just not right.

They can honestly do whatever they want, but they probably need more cashflow intermediately to buy more drives;

We've been ok with their IO to be honest, it serves us pretty well.
    I just think they shouldn't change their terms without emailing their resellers?
    After all, we got them dozens of clients.

@gleert said:
    @MrGeneral what is your monthly budget for a 1TBStorage VPS?

Something close to Time4VPS.

@Nekki said:

MrGeneral said: What if they decide to change their billing cycles, all to annually? Heh. This is... Just not right.

They're clearly playing a game of fine margins, so really this sort of thing has to be expected. Don't like it? Go somewhere else....except you can't, because no-one else has the storage for such a low price.

Yeah you're right. I'm just venting here and looking for similar deals, would be great to have a reseller module as well...

@apollo15 said:

@Foul said:

Because their customers are simply too cheap to buy anything better and they would rather pay low for shit than pay more for premium.

We got active instances in their systems and we're ok with the IO.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Are you an official reseller, i.e. you pay for a reseller account and a set amount of resources or have specific reseller rates set up in advance?

If so then they really should honor this order for you.

If not you might want to consider setting something up to put an 'obligation' in place.

@ricardo said:

Are there any alternatives?

Pay yearly for something you intend to use longer than a month.

I'm a reseller, not all our clients pay yearly.

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    Pass the customer onto somewhere instead of you marking the VPS up? Point them to @AshleyUk

That's not going to happen. Wouldn't be a wise decision.

We make very little profit here, but we're ok with it. Most customers are people who want to pay peanuts for storage but want someone helping them setting it up.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Are you an official reseller, i.e. you pay for a reseller account and a set amount of resources or have specific reseller rates set up in advance?

If so then they really should honor this order for you.

If not you might want to consider setting something up to put an 'obligation' in place.

They have a reseller module with different Tiers. We've been satisfied overall. They just didn't email us the changes, so even our website is outdated.

This is a very very small business here, but changes should be communicated to their customers and resellers.

MrGeneral said: They have a reseller module with different Tiers.

Well if your using it they should honor at least this last package if they did not tell you in advance, I would.

• In that case still ask @AshleyUk he said 1TB for around $7/mo or just buy a KS

• MrGeneral said: Yeah you're right. I'm just venting here and looking for similar deals, would be great to have a reseller module as well...

That's definitely a 'buyer beware' type scenario - if one of the longest operating providers on LET is saying a plan isn't sustainable at a monthly price, then that's something you should probably take seriously, and do some serious due diligence on anyone offering an alternative.

edited November 2016

@Nekki said:

MrGeneral said: Yeah you're right. I'm just venting here and looking for similar deals, would be great to have a reseller module as well...

That's definitely a 'buyer beware' type scenario - if one of the longest operating providers on LET is saying a plan isn't sustainable at a monthly price, then that's something you should probably take seriously, and do some serious due diligence on anyone offering an alternative.

Honestly I have tried to figure it out, the only way I can make it make any financial sense is to oversell the storage by a factor of almost 600%, buy massive storage nodes and wait for returns about 3 years down the line.

Apart from the fact that this is not an appealing business model, within 3 years storage expectations will double.

Either I am missing a trick or people actually started using the storage and they have shit themselves.

edit: no offence intended to time4vps, just one of those... how the hell, brain spews :)

Thanked by 1vimalware

@AnthonySmith said:

MrGeneral said: They have a reseller module with different Tiers.

Well if your using it they should honor at least this last package if they did not tell you in advance, I would.

They haven't notified me at all...

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    In that case still ask @AshleyUk he said 1TB for around $7/mo or just buy a KS

If AshleyUK had reseller module or something, we could workout something there.

@Nekki said:

MrGeneral said: Yeah you're right. I'm just venting here and looking for similar deals, would be great to have a reseller module as well...

I certainly do agree with you. It was working really well for us, but this change, with no notification is a no-no.

@AnthonySmith said:

@Nekki said:

Honestly I have tried to figure it out, the only way I can make it make any financial sense is to oversell the storage by a factor of almost 600%, buy massive storage nodes and wait for returns about 3 years down the line.

Apart from the fact that this is not an appealing business model, within 3 years storage expectations will double.

Either I am missing a trick or people actually started using the storage and they have shit themselves.

edit: no offence intended to time4vps, just one of those... how the hell, brain spews :)

I am sure they massively oversell their servers. I'm not against it. My personal storage VPS is a 1TB plan, paid yearly, and I'm using roughly 230GB.

@MrGeneral I can offer you 1TB storage for 4€/month. PM me if you're interested.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:

@Nekki said:

I have also looked at the numbers and came to a similar conclusion, its oversold. I was looking into this a little while back when there was a push for "HDD as a service" requests were floating around.

What are T4V's IOPS limit at currently? A Std HDD is 100-150IOPS and upto 200MBs and is all I would expect.

Thanked by 1MikePT

pbgben said: I have also looked at the numbers and came to a similar conclusion, its oversold.

Yeah, and to be clear, that's fine, they have a niche market and they obviously manage it well, I think its the ROI that would bother me on it.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • OpticalSwoosh said: In that case still ask @AshleyUk he said 1TB for around $7/mo or just buy a KS

Yep, and that is going to be a KVM based one.

INIZ's €7 1TB OVZ storage VM could have been an option, but Time4VPS's 2TB plan is €8/m.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

El Cheapo strikes again!

Jokes aside, I'm not overly surprised. Drives start to add up cost wise and a quick number crunch for them shows them either having to oversell things a fair bit or they weren't expecting to turn a profit on a node until the 2nd year of operation.

I could be wrong and they're getting drives for much cheaper than Amazon is selling them for, but being in Europe I'm not sure about that.

Francisco

gleert said: @MrGeneral I can offer you 1TB storage for 4€/month. PM me if you're interested.

You seem a nice guy, but I have never used your services so I won't commit my customers to, yet.

bersy said: Yep, and that is going to be a KVM based one.

INIZ's €7 1TB OVZ storage VM could have been an option, but Time4VPS's 2TB plan is €8/m.

INIZ is damn great. If they had a reseller plan, we'd probably go ahead.

Francisco said: El Cheapo strikes again!

Jokes aside, I'm not overly surprised. Drives start to add up cost wise and a quick number crunch for them shows them either having to oversell things a fair bit or they weren't expecting to turn a profit on a node until the 2nd year of operation.

I could be wrong and they're getting drives for much cheaper than Amazon is selling them for, but being in Europe I'm not sure about that.

Francisco

El Cheapo is ALWAYS striking!!! :P

I'm not against price increasing. I'm against the lack of notification, mainly to the resellers who try to make some money with reselling their servers...

Thanked by 2bersy Francisco
  • Nekki said: storage for such a low price.

Are you sure my love ?

MrGeneral said: You seem a nice guy, but I have never used your services so I won't commit my customers to, yet.

You always say the same, you'll have to try it once...

gleert said: You always say the same, you'll have to try it once...

I give opportunities many times.
    Name a provider and I'll tell you if I have a VPS with them :çp

• cociu said: Are you sure my love ?

Your random customs aren't a mass-market product open for all though, sweetheart.

MrGeneral said: I give opportunities many times. Name a provider and I'll tell you if I have a VPS with them :çp

I will try to be patient...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • How easy to oversell storage in openvz compared yo kvm?

Thanked by 1MikePT

Layer said: How easy to oversell storage in openvz compared yo kvm?

much

In the context of this thread anyway.

For native KVM you can just thin provision images/LV's, but that comes with its own complications and performance issues.

Thanked by 3trewq Layer MikePT
  • Nothing like time4vps, I have 500gb vps for 17 euro/ year,, and I use 40% of the space 200gb and I expect to use more, time4vps like a dream come true, never had anything bad about them, and even if the server fall or anything its ok because its backup server